Author Topic: Scanning last downloaded file  (Read 24224 times)

Hermite15

Re: Scanning last downloaded file
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
we're only talking about port 80 here, the only manageable port for the web shield, and we're talking about remote ports. This being said, the web shield wasn't meant to cover download managers, even on port 80.

ps: if the download comes from a web site through HTTP, it will be port 80 (remote), no matter how you download it, DM or not ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:43:50 PM by Logos »

doktornotor

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
well nothing downloaded directly from FDM has ever been scanned by the webshield on my system :D you must have a special version ;D
edit: I tried once earlier today, and another time just now, not scanned :)
(your screenshot doesn't prove anything)

Well... I'm not going to provide you a forensic proof how's the webshield scanning FDM downloads. I did simply add a HTTP link there, FDM downloaded the file and the webshield scanned it. End of story. I didn't download anything via browser and also I don't get your opinion that a download manager "caches" something for the browser. It doesn't. There's no magic to it and that's exactly what I'd expect from the webshield. Frankly, I don't get what's this discussion on special handling of browsers vs. others wrt the webshield thing about. One would expect everything downloaded via HTTP protocol scanned since that's how transparent proxy works. And if that's not the case then document it somewhere.

Hermite15

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 07:07:35 PM »
I never said that the DM cached anything ::)...I said Firefox cached downloads, read my post. The official word on these forums, and that's been verified by a few members here, including myself, is that the web shield proxy is compatible with a few browsers. It's been checked and verified again that it doesn't work with any external download manager, on port 80, even when playing with the proxy settings in FDM for instance. Again, you must have downloaded an exceptional version of FDM ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:16:56 PM by Logos »

doktornotor

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
I never said that the DM cached anything ::)...I said Firefox cached downloads, read my post.

Well, why would FF cache downloads that are being done via a download manager goes beyond me as well... isn't one of the main points of the download managers to offload the downloads from your browser?

Edit: Other than a "special version of FDM", things worth considering are that you seem to be running W7 x64 where I'd assume WFP is being used for the webshield, while there's no such thing available on XP SP3 where my testing was done.

Also, I'd really welcome some documentation on the webshield functionality. All I could find is outdated v4 stuff.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:20:21 PM by doktornotor »

Hermite15

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
I never said that the DM cached anything ::)...I said Firefox cached downloads, read my post.

Well, why would FF cache downloads that are being done via a download manager goes beyond me as well... isn't one of the main points of the download managers to offload the downloads from your browser?

it goes beyond you because you don't use Firefox...when displaying a page with links offering downloads Firefox starts caching in the background >>> the result is that when you actually start downloading with the integrated downloader it's already half done. Why it does that too in my case when I run FDM with Firefox? because I use FDM through FlashGot (Google that ;) ) and Firefox doesn't know in advance whether I'm gonna use FDM or not ;D

doktornotor

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »
it goes beyond you because you don't use Firefox...when displaying a page with links offering downloads Firefox starts caching in the background >>> the result is that when you actually start downloading with the integrated downloader it's already half done.

AFAICT from the times when I used FF, it definitely doesn't start downloading anything on it's own until you've clicked the download link. After that and b/w you've clicked the OK button (or selected a location to save the downloaded file), it does indeed download and cache. Anyway, irrelevant here, I didn't use FF or any other browser.

Hermite15

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »
AFAICT from the times when I used FF, it definitely doesn't start downloading anything on it's own until you've clicked the download link

you haven't used FF much have you, you're wrong dude ;) ...also, as to WFP... been running XP+Avast4 + FDM and the behavior was the same as now in Seven , no web shield scan.

doktornotor

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 07:57:50 PM »
AFAICT from the times when I used FF, it definitely doesn't start downloading anything on it's own until you've clicked the download link

you haven't used FF much have you, you're wrong dude ;)

OK, so you tell me that if you go to a site where's 1000 download links (such as a directory listing of some FTP server) FF starts to download all that stuff in background on it's own? You aren't serious, are you? Pure nonsense.

Hermite15

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »

you haven't used FF much have you, you're wrong dude ;)

OK, so you tell me that if you go to a site where's 1000 download links (such as a directory listing of some FTP server) FF starts to download all that stuff in background on it's own? You aren't serious, are you? Pure nonsense.

works on http sites, seen it happen a thousand times...OK, I rarely have serious conversations with IE users, so let's leave it there ::)

edit works on ftp was well, just tried. The download starts from the moment you click on the link, and before you click "save"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:41:45 PM by Logos »

doktornotor

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
works on http sites, seen it happen a thousand times...OK, I rarely have serious conversations with IE users, so let's leave it there ::)

Yeah, sure; for one, I've used FF for several years, until I got finally fed up. I'm using SRWare Iron ATM. Second, kindly go here and tell me when your BSD mirror is finished and your browser cache has grown by 3GiB

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/8.0/

IOW - what you are claiming is plain not true with Firefox; if you are using some utterly broken extension that causes such misbehaviour then it's about time to get rid of it.

Hermite15

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
edit: works on ftp as well, just tried. The download starts from the moment you click on the link, and before you click "save"

..and I've seen it happen on some web pages without having clicked on anything yet >>> spending some time on the page, then clicking on a download link >>> download done instantly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:51:04 PM by Logos »

doktornotor

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
edit: works on ftp was well, just tried. The download starts from the moment you click on the link, and before you click "save"

Yes. Which is fundamentally different from your original claim, which says:

Quote from: Logos
when displaying a page with links offering downloads Firefox starts caching in the background

Hermite15

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 08:51:40 PM »
edit: works on ftp was well, just tried. The download starts from the moment you click on the link, and before you click "save"

Yes. Which is fundamentally different from your original claim, which says:

Quote from: Logos
when displaying a page with links offering downloads Firefox starts caching in the background

which is why I edited my last post in the mean time. Both happen.

doktornotor

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:09 PM »
which is why I edited my last post in the mean time. Both happen.

Well no, both do NOT happen. When displaying a page w/ download links, nothing gets cached/prefetched via those displayed links (on a sane FF install without broken extensions). Once again, proof is in the pudding: Go to http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/8.0/, let your browser sit there for a day and tell me when you BSD download is finished. Will never happen with normal FF.

Hermite15

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »
you're a funny guy hey :D

as you see, some don't like it ;D

Firefox has a spooky feature called “Prefetching” that downloads pages that it thinks you are going to click on. (note: this is a good excuse for how those pages ended up in your history). It’s also a waste of CPU and bandwidth that slows Firefox down.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/quick-tip-turn-off-prefetching-in-firefox/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_prefetching
Browser support

* iCab was the first browser (February 2001 or earlier[1]) to support prefetching
    * Mozilla Application Suite and its derivatives (Firefox etc.) - the first browser to support prefetching[citation needed].
    * browsing using a Google Web Accelerator (maybe technically called precaching)
    * the Blue Coat proxy appliance is known to use non compliant prefetching

obviously working on sites like Cnet or softpedia with download links as well
, and there's generally only one program to download onthe page, the one you're there for.

What is link prefetching?

Link prefetching is a browser mechanism, which utilizes browser idle time to download or prefetch documents that the user might visit in the near future. A web page provides a set of prefetching hints to the browser, and after the browser is finished loading the page, it begins silently prefetching specified documents and stores them in its cache. When the user visits one of the prefetched documents, it can be served up quickly out of the browser's cache.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Link_prefetching_FAQ
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:06:48 PM by Logos »