Author Topic: Context scanning hang up Windows Explorer  (Read 3586 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Context scanning hang up Windows Explorer
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
Sorry if the answer to my question has already been given.

First, about my notebook: ASUS X51RLseries; CPU Pentium DuoT2370 1,73 GHz; RAM 2 Gb; Windows Vista Home Basic SP2

Next is my problem. If I want to scan any folder, file or removable disk, I usually open Windows' context menu and choose to check that place. When I used Avast 4.8, it immediately showed its scan window and I could see all the process of scanning. Now, with Avast 5, the behaviour is a bit different: I right-click on the object of scanning and choose to scan it; at that moment my Windows Explorer becomes unresponsive for some time; then Avast's scan window opens behind the Explorer's one (the lattest became clickable) and when I move the scan window to the foreground, I see 80-90% of scan has already been done.

Why does context scanning hang up Windows Explorer? Why doesn't scan window appear before or at the very beginning of the scanning?
May the FOSS be with you!

AmazingIT

Re: Context scanning hang up Windows Explorer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
I may be windows problem or if you have also other anti-virus on your pc it will slow down the process.
Stop un-wanted applications at startup, Its just Your PC slow down  Problem Not Anti-Virus Problem. Its Working Properly with its fast speed and start on time.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
I may be windows problem or if you have also other anti-virus on your pc it will slow down the process.
Stop un-wanted applications at startup, Its just Your PC slow down  Problem Not Anti-Virus Problem. Its Working Properly with its fast speed and start on time.
Your answer is unclear. I use Avast and only Avast as my antivirus. Avast 4.8 started scanning fast, Avast 5 shows its scanning GUI 10-15 seconds after it starts scanning. I didn't change anything in my protection since the first day I installed Avast.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
Hello George

have you checked the Settings in Scan Now page of the avast User Interface (screenshot)

perhaps check out if you have correct selections or whether you can trial different options

And have a look here for tweaking Windows Explorer  http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:16:50 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:30:30 PM »
mkis
I have no problems with context menu. I am sure I have problems with Avast. I can add more: when I open the main window of Avast and click to open "Scan computer" tab, the window become unresponsive for 10-20 seconds. Other tabs open instantly. And more: if I close the main window with "Scan computer" tab on and click to open it back, I have to wait the same 20 seconds until the window opens.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »
hmm...sorry, I couldnt make a call here George.
May be avast as you say. Not possible for me to replicate but wish you good luck.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.