Author Topic: error "exception in standard viruses code"  (Read 13815 times)

maugrimx

error "exception in standard viruses code"
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:46 PM »
avast shows 16 files with the extension .msi and gives the error message "exception in standard viruses code" in the results window. what is that supposed to mean?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: error "exception in standard viruses code"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
Pretty strange... does it happen even if you scan one of the files alone? (e.g. using the Explorer context menu scan)
If yes, can you please upload the files to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54:19 PM »
I'm getting the same thing. Mostlly on System Restore files but i also get this on others.
Like CIS_setup_x86.msi and KAV7 installer.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:54:44 AM »
Exception in standard virus code?
Well, the same question stands - is it reproducible when scanning the file alone, or maybe a few additional files, or do you have to run a full disk scan, for example? If you copy the file(s) elsewhere, is it still reproducible?
If yes, I'd certainly like to see some of the files, though I have a feeling it won't be that easy (to reproduce).

Btw, maugrimx, how many CPU cores do you have?

maugrimx

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:13:42 AM »
the error did not show up when scanning each file with the context menu scan, it just appears in the results of the full scan. i copied some of the files to a folder on the desktop and scanned, but it doesnt give the error when doing that.

i have two CPU cores.

sbcc

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 03:39:31 AM »
I'm getting the same thing. Mostlly on System Restore files but i also get this on others.
Like CIS_setup_x86.msi and KAV7 installer.

Longtime lurker, newly registered to post this.

Similar to RejZor, I am seeing this on EAV installer, Dell drivers, etc.  In my case, all are .msi files. Context scan works fine.

ETA: Centrino 1.5 ghz single core, XP Pro SP3 32 bit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:22:40 AM by sbcc »

Vortal

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:31 AM »
I'm having the same problem as well. I ran a virus scan yesterday with no errors yet tonight I ran a full system scan twice and had a dozen files that could not be scanned with the same error other people have posted, they were all .msi files. I also tried scanning a couple of the files by themselves and the scan didn't report an error that way.

The full error code is:

Error: Exception in standard viruses code. (42104)

fernbomb

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »
I'm getting this problem as well.

I also noticed that the full scan ran a lot faster too - under 30 minutes, compared to usual hour or so it usually takes. Is this happening to anyone else?

Vortal

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 08:50:36 AM »
I turned off the option "Store data about scanned files in persistent cache" and ran a full scan and there were no errors at all, I turned the option back on and ran another scan and the same 12 files came back with the same error.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »
Do you have any recent unpXXXXX.mdmp files in
C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log (Win2000, XP)
or
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log (Vista, Win7)
?

If yes, please upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

One more question: when did the errors start appearing? Was it the yesterday evening's virus database (100419-1), or was it before?
Also, is it always the "Full scan"... or is anybody with those errors running a "Quick scan", for example, or a custom scan (in that case - with what parameters)?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:33:51 AM by igor »

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:23 AM »
Igor,

For me, it was after a clean install of build 499 then upgrade to 507.  I did manual updates of definitions.  I first did a quick scan and all was fine.  Did a boot scan and all was fine.  Did an MBAM scan and all was fine.  However when I did a Full System Scan, it went quicker then usual and I received at least 15 - 18 files that could not be scanned as others mentioned above.

Yesterday, I had build 507 on the machine with the previous definitions and I did not have this problem and it was prior to the auto-update during the day; the problem developed AFTER the evening update.  So this may have something to do with the update.  I know my machine is clean.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:07:14 AM by SafeSurf »

rabies

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
I also got this error when I did a full scan of my pc today. A bunch of .msi files that are from Adobe Acrobat Reader were flagged as cannot be scanned with the same error: exception in standard viruses code. (42104). The last time I did a full scan 2 days ago, these errors did not occur.

Full scan was also way faster, about half the time than usual. Something must really be wrong if Avast is scanning this fast!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »
I think I found the problem... will do some more testing, but hopefully should be fixed in virus database 100420-1.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »
Hello,
VPS 100420-1 was released, try to test it.

Thank you for feedback,
Milos
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:18:52 PM by Milos »