Author Topic: error "exception in standard viruses code"  (Read 13814 times)

rabies

Re: error "exception in standard viruses code"
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
I think I found the problem... will do some more testing, but hopefully should be fixed in virus database 100420-1.

Yup, virus database 100420-1 seems to have fixed the problem. No more errors when doing a full scan. Doing a full scan now also takes only 1/3 the time it used to. You guys must have given the Avast scanning engine some major update!

hkamsofficer

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
 ;D
Hi Folks, I have this problem. It took me 2 hours stuck with my computer ( my spouse was a bit *&^%%)

I sent a ticket to Avast, quick, got the reply same day. Posted below for sharing.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ALWIL Software company with your concerns.

Some files are permanently locked by operating system, some files are
in password-protected archives and so on. These files can´t be
scanned. It´s normal and you don´t need to worry about this.
Error is trying to handle a file and temporary avast files.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

If you want you can send us the log file.

Follow all described steps below:
1. create a custom scan
2. use the option to generate avast! report file
3. tick all available Reported items options
4. run virus scan
5. send us created report file, located under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\report

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Miroslav Jenšík

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
Doing a full scan now also takes only 1/3 the time it used to. You guys must have given the Avast scanning engine some major update!

Well, the related change should indeed speed a few things up... but 3 times faster?? That seems to be way too much to me.
What exactly are you comparing it to? (I mean, the very first scan certainly takes long, when the persistent cache gets populated; the subsequent ones should be faster). What were/are the times for you? Are you talking about the "Full system scan", or a custom one?

sbcc

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 05:14:49 PM »
Doing a full scan now also takes only 1/3 the time it used to. You guys must have given the Avast scanning engine some major update!

Well, the related change should indeed speed a few things up... but 3 times faster?? That seems to be way too much to me.
What exactly are you comparing it to? (I mean, the very first scan certainly takes long, when the persistent cache gets populated; the subsequent ones should be faster). What were/are the times for you? Are you talking about the "Full system scan", or a custom one?

I just installed avast! 5 yesterday on this computer and I have run a total of 3 full scans, all three with both persistent cache options ticked. First scan, 18min 23sec, 42104 error on about 25 .msi files.  Second scan, 11min 15sec, same errors.  After downloading the new definitions today, 11min 40sec and all files scanned without error, so it looks like it is fixed here.

The persistent cache option appears to save about 6.5 minutes in scan time on this older computer, or roughly 1/3 faster. I have tested Norton with Insight, Avira 10 and Eset 3 and 4 on this computer as well.  The fastest before avast! 5 was Avira, but that still took around 25 minutes, IIRC. Very impressive! Thanks for this amazing software!

rabies

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »

The last time I did a full system scan was 2 days ago (April 18) and it was the 13th time I had performed a full system scan on a 5-week old Win XP machine. Here's the stats:
Run time: 0:38:09
Tested files: 42251
Tested folders: 1719
Amount of data tested: 13.72 GB

When I ran another full system scan today with virus database 100420-1, here are the stats:
Run time: 0:11:59
Tested files: 42437
Tested folders: 1719
Amount of data tested: 13.88 GB

All full system scans were done with the default settings, except PUP scanning was turned on. I didn't know anything about the "persistent cache" until you mentioned it. Prior to today, all previous 13 full system scans I performed took at least 30 minutes to complete.

This is a good thing, right?

hkamsofficer

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
Confirmed update 100420-1 fixed the problem. Almost sure the previous updating has bug.
I did the full system scan few days ago, no problem, only has the problem on the 100419-1 with all msi files not able be scanned.

All OK by now and I agreed the full system scanning took less time although not clock counting. I full scanned two computers and sure it has been fasting.

Avast seeming very client oriented and fixed the problem.  I look like keen in keeping the Avast ( previous painful experience Trend Micro and CA are all suck)

Vortal

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
My scans are going about twice as fast now as well, from around 30 minutes to around 15 minutes.

fernbomb

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
My scans are going twice as fast too, but that also happened along with the exception code error from yesterday. The latest update fixed the exception code error, but the scan's still running fast.