Author Topic: Am unable to update  (Read 7721 times)

Brit

Am unable to update
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »
Hi! I need help I was not able to find anywhere. I am new to forum so am not sure I am even sending this to the right place.
I have used Avast successfully for yrs and it updated fine until just recently (past wk or so) I noticed it wasn't updating. That was version 4.8 I believe. I didn't have time to ck out, but then Windows Security Alert popped up today saying Avast was out of date which it isn't.
I have uninstalled Avast 4 and I dl and installed Avast 5.0.462,  but that didn't solve the problem either. It scans and the icon in task bar says "my system is secure". However it will still not update.
 Not sure if this is relevant but about 2 months ago I switched from dial up (aol) to Verizon mobile wireless broadband and it was working fine for over a month but now wonder if that had something to do with. Or if the last Windows update did!
In the settings I have unchecked dial up and didn't ck that I was always on line either but didn't ck that I am always on line either. I use IE to connect so that is what is marked in the proxy section. Could something with these settings either in Avast or IE8 be the problem?
 Can you please help?           
 I just tried today to manually dl the updates twice getting this same error message. Once I dl'd bbefore I changed settings to update manually and then afterward, but I got the same error message both times,
"Update is already running, could mean internet connection problem. If your computer is connected to Internet and you are using a 3rd party firewll (not Windows firewall) check if process avast setup has allowed access to the internet. If you don't have internet connnection set avast to manual. Then try to end process. avast setup using task manager and dl program again."
 I only have Window firewall.
 When I place cursor over icon in task bar it says system is secure. Once I uninstalled and installed Avast 5. 0.507 Windows Security Alert window has not come up since, but I have not rebooted either  however I still can't update either automatically or manually. This is serious!
 Thank you, Brit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Am unable to update
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
Once I uninstalled and installed Avast 5. 0.507 Windows Security Alert window has not come up since, but I have not rebooted either  however I still can't update either automatically or manually. This is serious!
 Thank you, Brit

Please reboot and try again.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »
Once I uninstalled and installed Avast 5. 0.507 Windows Security Alert window has not come up since, but I have not rebooted either  however I still can't update either automatically or manually. This is serious!

Well technically the WSC is correct as you had 5.0.462 and the latest version is 5.0.507, now you have done that, hopefully that issue is resolved.

You don't mention what the virus definitions version is, latest is 100420-1 ?

You have to reboot after the reinstall/update to 5.0.507 as many elements may not work until after a windows restart, so reboot as Asyn suggested.

After a reboot try a manual update a little while after windows has started as avast checks for updates once a connection has been established. Try any sooner and you may bump into the avast update is already running error.

If the manual update error is displayed, check the Task Manager and see if avast.setup is already running, if so it looks like an auto update is being attempted at the time (or has stalled).

But lets reboot and see what happens after that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:45:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

isamuelson

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »
Look at the file C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST5\SETUP\SETUP.LOG and see what it says. I have a support ticket into Alwil and I noticed the following:

23:17:55 nrm/fil  File C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.ovr not writable. Error 0x00000020

I've checked the permissions and even granted myself the permissions to the file (my account is an admin account).

I've tried updating with both my account as well as the admin account and this error keeps popping up in the setup.log file. Not sure if that's why it won't update from .492 to .507 or not. Once I hear something back from support, I'll let you know.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »
Well windows file system error 20 = The system cannot find the device specified.
This assumes that this is a windows file system error.

The avast self-defence module would I believe block write access to this file regardless of the permissions that you set/granted.

Are you trying to do an off-line VPS update ?
e.g. downloading the complete virus definitions file, from http://www.avast.com/download-update

If so that would require that you temporarily disable the self-defence module.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

isamuelson

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
Well windows file system error 20 = The system cannot find the device specified.
This assumes that this is a windows file system error.

The avast self-defence module would I believe block write access to this file regardless of the permissions that you set/granted.

Are you trying to do an off-line VPS update ?
e.g. downloading the complete virus definitions file, from http://www.avast.com/download-update

If so that would require that you temporarily disable the self-defence module.

I was trying to do an update through the Avast interface in the Update section.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Then that error number is weird or not a windows file system error.

It may be best to do a clean reinstall to the latest 5.0.507 version:
Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.507 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

isamuelson

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »
Then that error number is weird or not a windows file system error.

It may be best to do a clean reinstall to the latest 5.0.507 version:
Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.507 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Actually, I run the Internet Suite and when I download that, I get the .492 version. I'm currently working with the support group on this one. Someone else pointed me to the multi-lingual version of the Internet Suite and when I tried that, my issue was fixed, but I wonder if when the engine gets updated again, will I run into this issue once more? I really need to figure out why this didn't work, so that's why I'll update everyone once I get something from support.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
OK, try this direct link for AIS: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe that may well be the latest version.

Brit

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »
I am still unable to get updates. I have uninstalled numerous times and reinstalled 5.0.507 and rebooted. I uninstalled from Add/Remove as the other uninstall didn't work. I checked the folder and all was gone.
  I also dl'd the updates from Avast on line. 100420-1 but now these are out of date as it tells me the current version is 100414-1. Where do I get these daily updates?
The program appears to work  but to update which again has my Windows Security saying it is out of date. When I click on it to update the gold color in that bar comes up but then nothing happens.
Am I protected while on line like this?
Where can I get daily updates until this gets resolved. I have been in contact with Avast tech's help to no avail thus far.
 I just got rid of a big pain-dial up-- and now--his is really annoying.
Thanks much for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »
From what you are saying I get the impression you didn't follow the steps exactly.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual virus definitions version (certainly in 4.8 ).

However, if as your post implies you use the uninstall utility first, assumes that you mean the Uninstall Utility, as the other uninstall.
Quote from: Brit
I uninstalled from Add/Remove as the other uninstall didn't work.

If that is the case and you also ran it from normal mode then the self defence module would block it.

That is why you should first use add remove programs and then the uninstall utility from safe mode (to ensure there are no remnants of either 4.8 or AIS 5.0) first for avast 4.8 and then for AIS 5.0, reboot and then install AIS.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:12:21 AM by DavidR »

Brit

Re: Still unable to update
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »
The utility from Avast site or whereever to uninstall wouldn't work therefore I used the Windows Control panel, add/remove to uninstall everytime. When I did that it removed icon from the task bar and all files from the Awil folders except an old Avast setup exe from 2005. All else had been removed.
1. Should I have a file "aswUpd Sv.exe?" for Avast 5? If so I don't.
 I have done this so many times I am ready to scream. Can you please tell me step by step how to uninstall again and whatever it is you are saying about doing in "safe mode." I don't understand at all?
1. I need step by step instructions to do so in safe mode as this scares me.
2. Are you saying that I need to uninstall and then reinstall again?
3. I only have avast 5.0.507 which I have installed and uninstalled 3 times now.
 Please send me thorough step by step instructions if you think this will end this problem.
I am getting confused and worried about whether I am being protected or now! Thank you, Brit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »
What do you mean wouldn't work, e.g. what errors were displayed, etc. ?

Windows has two modes, normal boot mode and a safe mode, which loads minimal applications and drivers. avast isn't loaded in safe mode so the uninstall utility shouldn't be blocked by the avast self-defence module, the whole point of saying it has to be run in safe mode.

- Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

You need to follow the instructions that I gave in the order that they were given in Reply #6 above.

Brit

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »
thank you for your patience! I will try to follow you directions and just uninstall again as directed in #6 reply. I am not real efficient on here so I hope this causes me no more problems. I had hoped there would be a simple adjustment.
When I get this done I will let you know one way or the other. Thanks much, Brit

Brit

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »
4-23-10 Help!!!
1. I have followed exactly followed  all your instructions and have uninstalled both Avast 4.8 and Avast
5.0.507 in  Safe Mode using the Uninstall Utility.  Then I reinstalled with exactly the same result. Avast
automatic update will not work.
2.  Again, I can not manually update.
3.  I have dl'd todays update from avast.com/download-update to the desktop. When I try to update and
have set Avast to manual update I again get the same error message as before: "avast! Updater is
already running, that could mean interntet connection problem. If your computer is connected to internet
and you are using a third-party firewall (not Windows Firewall), check if process avast.setup has
allowed access to internet. If you don't have internect connection, set avast updates to manual. Then try to end process  'avast.set.setup' using the Task Manager and run this program again."
The Avast icon in task bar shows a yellow triangle with exclamation point in it and says when cursor hovers over that system is not protected.
4. I suspect the problem may be with settings, because like I initially said, I had for yrs and never had a
problem then suddenly during the first or second wk in April it quit automatically updating.  I still wonder if the Microsoft update had something to do with it because it had been working and that
was the only change made.
5. Also how should the settings be in Avast for the internet? Although I have broadband recently started
using Verizon mobile wireless connection. I am not always on line which is one choice; but I have to get
on to the internet similarly to when I used dial up----Meaning I have to plug in a device similar to a sm
flash drive to the pc,  open some installed (VZAccess Manager)window and wait for it to recognize all
then finally connect. Then once I am connected I open IE8. So should setting remain on dial up
connection?
6. Now I am further upset after redoing all this again as I don't recall how I finally was able to get the dl'd
update to work before when I had exactly the same problem as I do now.
7. My conclusion is somehow something with internect connection is where the problem lies. 
8. What does proxy settings mean?
9. Under "Troubleshooting"  in "redirect settings" http (port)s 80.................is that ok?
10. Until this gets resolved I do need to know how to be able to manually install the updates and that
isn't even working again. ( I did get it to work somehow finally before but I forgot how I did it)
I am really getting beyond frustrated!! Am I even covered from virus?
Thank you for continual help, Brit