Author Topic: BSOD after install completes (XP SP3)  (Read 7507 times)

dster

BSOD after install completes (XP SP3)
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »
I had Symantec Endpoint Protection, and I went through the whole ordeal of getting it completely uninstalled.

When I install avast 5.0 right when it gets to "finalizing" I get a blue screen (I forgot to write down the error message.)  When I restart avast appears to be installed but I cannot start: Mail Shield, IM Shield, P2P Shield, File System Shield, Web Shield, Behavior Shield, Network Shield.  I am also unable to update or register.

I have tried removing and reinstalling avast, but it is the same thing each time.

Help would me much appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:18:20 PM by dster »

doktornotor

Re: BSOD after install completes (XP SP3)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
I has Symantec Endpoint Protection, and I went through the whole ordeal of getting it completely uninstalled.

Well, pretty like the ordeal is not complete yet. I can give you SCS Cleanwipe which worked for SEP v11; if you have a newer one, sorry I don't have that and the tool is provided only on request by the "nice" Symantec folks.

dster

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:22:36 PM »
I'm almost positive it was v11.  If you could send it to me I would be very thankful. I would rather avoid any interactions with those "nice" people.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
I'm almost positive it was v11.  If you could send it to me I would be very thankful. I would rather avoid any interactions with those "nice" people.

Well, this seems the latest I have. I have two different ones but they seem older, so...

SymantecCleanWipe.zip - uploading.com

Also you might need to use this one to fix more borkage caused courtesy of SEP11 (the symptmps are mostly loss of internet connectivity after SEP uninstall):

RASMAN_FIX_TOOL.zip - uploading.com

dster

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:39 PM »
I will give them a go and let you know how it turns out.  Thank you very much.

dster

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
So I tried to run the CleanWipe, but once it gets going I get an error that regedit.exe failed to initiate.

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:55:59 PM »
So I tried to run the CleanWipe, but once it gets going I get an error that regedit.exe failed to initiate.

You run this as administrator (right click on Vista/W7 or from command prompt which you started in the same way)? And you can run regedit.exe manually?

dster

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:02:43 AM »
I'm logged in as administrator. I'm running XP, is there a certain way I have to run it?  I can run regedit just fine manually.

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »
Well, not really, just run the cleanwipe.bat file; unless you are able to provide more info on what/where exactly it fails, out of luck pretty much, sorry. I have no intention on running the thing here on a system that's never been touched by Symantec stuff.

dster

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:42 AM »
I run CleanWipe and choose all the options and what not.  It gets to "External Step - Cleaning the MSI Registry." and I get the error, I close it and get another identical error.  From there the command prompt just sits there and does nothing else.

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »
I run CleanWipe and choose all the options and what not.  It gets to "External Step - Cleaning the MSI Registry." and I get the error, I close it and get another identical error.  From there the command prompt just sits there and does nothing else.

Ah... That one should be safe to ignore. If you have crap left in MSI installer info, you can use the Microsoft tool instead.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

dster

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:10:19 AM »
Yet another road block.

When I try to run that Microsoft or the RASMAN_FIX I get an error: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed." I am not running in Safe Mode.

I also gave a go at a fresh install of avast to see if anything changed.  Still the same results as before.

Thank you for continuing to help me work though this. Hope we can figure something out.

Latelesley

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:28:49 AM »
It sounds like there is something wrong with your XP installation. One thing to try is to go to a command prompt, and run SFC /SCANNOW - this will put all your XP system files back to their original state. Any updates to the system (including SP3) will need reapplied, but should download and update as normal with automatic updates. You can try reinstalling once the System File Checker (SFC) has completed and you've rebooted.

Hope this helps, good luck!

kind regards

Lesley

doktornotor

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 07:33:48 AM »
Well... your XP seems kinda damaged. The sfc /scannow isn't a particularly good idea if you don't have uptodate install CD handy, since it may result in unbootable box. And if you have at least XP SP3 install CD, then the best sort of action would IMHO be a repair install. Should that fail, I'm afraid it's time to reinstall the box from scratch.

You can produce your own XP SP3 CD (search for SP slipstreaming), or download via torrent from some trusted site - those "intergrated" releases include hotfixes, are "released" monthly and it should be legal to download if you have a legal XP license but YMMV in this legal dept.)  :P