Author Topic: Avast 4.8 no longer in format for Windows  (Read 3076 times)

ZipCoon

Avast 4.8 no longer in format for Windows
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »
I was disconnected from the internet for a few days, and when I attempted to reconnect today, I wasn't able to do so.  One of the troubleshooting suggestions was to do a system restore from a previous date when there was some significant activity done on my pc.  I reviewed the last date when this happened (a windows update that i downloaded a few days prior).  But the subsequent attempt to restore the system to that date was unsuccessful.  One of the suggestions was to disconnect my anti-virus program so that the system could do the restore.  But I can't seem to figure out how to temporarily disable my Avast! 4.8 Pro edition to do this restore.  I did a "How do I..." query on another computer, but the suggestions I got weren't applicable; (i.e no "Detail List" or other applicable functions on the the menu of my version of Avast!.  I also have a Problem Resolving message on my windows Control Panel Action Center, which says that "avast! 4.81169 [VPS 100419-1] is on, but is reporting it's status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic update feature, or contact the manufacturer for an updated version".
Does anybody have any suggestions?  I just want to be able to connect my pc back to the internet...thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 4.8 no longer in format for Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:15:38 AM »
Because avast 4.8.1368 is the latest version and yours is out of date, so you need to do a program update.

avast 5.0.507 is the latest in the new avast 5.0 version of the antivirus application, so I would say if you can you should update to that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ZipCoon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:41:59 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  Is there anyway to disconnect my avast temporarily so that I can simply do a system restore back to prior to my last windows update (which may have caused the problem)?  I'd rather do that than purchase a new avast program.  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:32 AM »
You don't have to purchase a new avast if your current version still has time left on the license. That is correct for 4.8 or 5.0.

What was the error that you got when you couldn't connect to the internet ?

Why wasn't the system restore successful, e.g what error was given ?
System restore is far from perfect and personally I haven't relied on it for many years.

You can right click on the avast icon and select Stop on-access protection, you may also have to disable the self-defence module, avast Settings, Troubleshooting section. That should allow you to use system restore depending if that was the reason for the error, which is unknown without the reason for the failure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security