Author Topic: WMA Wimad[Drp]  (Read 37121 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: WMA Wimad[Drp]
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
You have been fortunate and learnt a valuable lesson, without having to pay (literally as well) too high a price.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MickyD

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:03 AM »

Lang, it's seems you and I have had the same problem. I contracted the Wimad via Emule rather oblivious to the threats via P2P. I was using another antivirus which simply did not detect the wimad and thus had moved into my entire collection. Thankfully most of my songs were already wma and not mp3, because strangely I have never trusted mp3. Nevertheless after finding the virus after media player would stop playing the song within 10 seconds and try upload (thank goodness I was not connected) a new codec. I have all the latest codecs so I knew something was up.

I tried Avast and unfortunately the true nature of how bad the infestation was, was revealed. I moved from WMP to Winamp and everything wma still played fine. So I kept the viruses like a pet, not passing anything over to friends. The mp3s though, sounded like they were being sawn though so I simply deleted all mp3s (5% of my full collection). The thing is, is that I did not play all tracks for some to be infected! Avast has stopped the infection from continuing and won't even let me edit the tracks in Winamp without notifying me of the wimad. On introducing new music I immediately converted mp3 to wma, no longer would the virus affect my new music.

Otherwise I did run the Dr. Web as well and finally I'm cured! Many thanks to all in this topic. Words cannot express how happy I am to have my music files clean!

DarkClown

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 10:28:57 PM »
Upon yesterday's scan of my Windows Home Server, 2 .MP3 files were detected as having this same infection.
What I find really odd is that those 2 files have existed there in that same location for as long as I have had the the WHS. They are both very old files that I am certain have never been played with any player for as long as they have existed on this server. I never use WMP to play music files (recently I only play them from iTunes on my Mac) so I don't know how they would have only recently become infected.

I run a full scan of the WHS every week and this is the first time they were detected. I have thousands of MP3s and only these 2 were reported.

kubecj

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
Yep. We changed the scan behaviour a bit with regards to Windows Media files.

DarkClown

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
Do I understand correctly that you changed the behavior in the past week and that is why the files were never detected previously?

kubecj

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 11:12:14 PM »
Yes, it's recent change - was in one of monday's updates.

twriterext

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
More questions on "WMA:Wimad [Drp]"

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Win XP/Pro SP3, 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor and 2 GB of RAM.

I just recently updated the Avast Home v.4.8 database (it is currently 100417-0.04/17).  I typically run a scan before I run a backup.

The last scan identified 4 instances of the "WMA:Wimad [Drp]", which I deleted.  The files identified I did not download and have never played in any media player.  I rarely use Windows Media Player (v. 11.0.5721.5268), preferring instead Winamp (v. 5.57).

I purchased the computer used several years ago, and those files must have been on the computer when I bought it.  After reading the posts in this thread, I now understand why the detections suddenly appeared.

However, I still have 2 questions:

1.  After reading the posts in this thread, my conclusion is that Windows Media Player has become infected.  Is that correct?  If so, I find that confusing, since the problem files that were identified are files that I have never, as I said above, played with WMP, although they were probably played using WMP by the previous owner of the computer.  And I have played other files with WMP (although, as I said above, rarely), that have not been identified by Avast as infected.

2.  There are times when I may need to use WMP.  I am part of a computer group that provides free help to members of the local community.  Is it possible that other audio files, currently stored on my computer (i.e, NOT downloaded) may become infected if I use WMP?