Author Topic: Avast 5.0 Free Edition High CPU usage.  (Read 13355 times)

Latelesley

Re: Avast 5.0 Free Edition High CPU usage.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
Hiya

@ Asyn TY! Thats took away the nag, I couldnt find it when I checked through the settings. I now have a happy spinny icon again.  ;D :)

@DavidR

All my machines are underpowered, its only a single-core I have, running at 1.66Ghz, not even entry level!  :( I think they have changed the way the P2P module scans in V5,0. it seems to tie up the CPU with AvastSvc.exe, and it also ties up the disk subsystems for some reason too, the drive what stores my P2P files is locked on read when AvastSvc eats my machine performance. I'm guessing each time it receives a block in the file, its scanning the whole thing, and then scanning the whole file, which at 1GB+ will take time. It didn't exhibit this behavior in V4.8.

TBH, i'm getting sorely tempted to revert to V4.8, and when forced to upgrade, have one last try to see if the issues fixed, and if not, it'll be time to search for a new product :(. Its a shame, as I moved to Avast from AVG, and was really impressed with it, after AVG went the same way and became slow bloatware. I fear Avast may do the same in time :(

I like products that are simple, lightweight, and "do what they say on the tin", sit quietly protecting the system, in the minimum amount of memory and clock cycles.

Anyway, Its time to wait and see if the issue is addressed in future updates, I see many "slow computer", "slow folder" threads that may indicate an issue.

Kind regards, and thanks to all who helped with the diagnosis, esp DavidR. :) :) :)

Lesley

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
Your welcome.

I said as much in my last reply as there are greater configuration within the P2P Shield now, where in 4.8 there were basically on or off.

<snip>
~~~
Since I don't use P2P applications I don't have the P2P Shield installed, so I can't test if these settings are present in the avast 5.0 free version. But the 5.0 p2p shield appears to be more configurable than 4.8 notably in the sensitivity (avastUI, Real-Time Shields, P2P, Expert Settings, in particular 'Test whole files.' See image extract of the avast help file.

So why not try unchecking the Test whole files option (highlighted above) and see if that makes a difference.

One thing for sure I wouldn't go back to 4.8 over this as the protection offered in 5.0 is greater than 4.8 (yes you may have to detune the P2P to help with your system), but over all 5.0 uses less resources than 4.8. Not to mention that avast in comparison to many other AVs uses less resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 09:31:20 PM »
@ Asyn TY! Thats took away the nag, I couldnt find it when I checked through the settings. I now have a happy spinny icon again.  ;D :)

You're welcome...! Spinning is better than nagging. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

FR8SKR

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 08:17:59 AM »
Ok , I have just acquired a new HP pavillion P6310f, With AMD quad core.
And I have installed the free Avast, because I am not to sure that I trust the 59.99 version.
As it did not seem to work well with Vista home. It did not want to run a full scan.
That is why I had to buy a new putr, that and the old one outdated.

davej

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
I have used Avast for the last 3 years and installed on between 8 to 10 computers.  Have never had any problems until version 5.xx.  I have calls all the time about slow computers.  Intalled on everything from p4's to AMD x3's.  Have tried all sorts of setting changes and until I disable from the icon, it slows down.  I got rid of Symantec due to the overhead and now I have the overhead back.  VPN will not work with pro installed.  Had to put a free version on to get the VPN to work.  (License is still paid for).  Internet slowed down about 40-50% until disabled.  This was compared on other computers on the same network.

Stop asking about viruses and installed programs. Put 5 on an brand new computer 2 weeks ago and sucks it down.  If i have a virus on other computers after running Avast for 3 years, sounds like Avast.

Have to go on a service call right now about computer slowing down until Avast disabled.

Cannot wait until your new revised Avast 4 version.

vip_kol

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
I too have a similar problem AvastSvc has high CPU usage and 100MB mem usage when scanning .exe files. I keep the setup of all programs i use.If I ever open that folder or the downloads folder everything freezes until avast has scanned the files.I cant even open avast to see which files are been scanned.
Strangely I only have this problem in Windows XP SP3, not in Windows7.
I have both OS installed on same PC.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
Hi guys and welcome to the forum..! :)
You better start new threads to get more attention... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0