Author Topic: Protection Status: SERVICE STOPPED  (Read 20758 times)

CloneoftheMean

Protection Status: SERVICE STOPPED
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:51:23 AM »
Protection Status:SERVICE STOPPED

I just sat down at my computer and the avast icon had a red X on top of it.  When i opened it up it told me my antspam and realtime shields weren't operating but the firewall was still working.  What gives?  Anyone have to deal with this?

Thanks,

Jim

WThesing

Re: Protection Status: SERVICE STOPPED
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:56:03 PM »
I have had the same problem since upgrading to V.5. Version 4 worked great. I have done multiple re installations. The fix tab and start program tab have no effect. What gives ???????? All I get with any other online corrective attempts is that the program is not running. Duhhhhh !!!

Offline Wallis

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:15:28 AM »
On top of that:

I have two computers at home.  I downloaded the free version of Avast! 5.0 on each.  One computer is protected for a year.  The other only two months.  Naturally, I assumed that both computers would have the same duration.

When I tried to re-register on the other computer, Google could not find this site!  In fact, Google could not find any other antivirus site until I finally was able to download Alvira to have some protection.

I have downloaded Avast!'s removal program.  Hopefully, when I remove 5.0 from the other computer, I can reconnect with this site.

robins1668

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:39:35 AM »
I have the same problem.  PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP.  I keep turning my computer off when not in use so I don't get a virus, since it is connected to the internet continually.

The "Fix Now" button doesn't work.  The "start program" button doesn't work.

WHAT IS WRONG?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »
Protection Status:SERVICE STOPPED

I just sat down at my computer and the avast icon had a red X on top of it.  When i opened it up it told me my antspam and realtime shields weren't operating but the firewall was still working.  What gives?  Anyone have to deal with this?

Thanks,

Jim

Anyone have to deal with this?

Several of us do. :'(  I suspect the ALWIL team is working on it. ;)  I wish they would acknowledge it.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58652.0

I'm temporarily dealing with it by using MSE.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:31:25 AM by rdmaloyjr »

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »
@ rdmaloyjr

I do not have a problem with avast! V5 on my XP Pro system but I do not use Zemana nor ZoneAlarm Pro and you do not indicate how much RAM is on the XP system nor if it is Home or Pro XP.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:55:27 AM »
@ YoKenny

2gigs of RAM

XP Home sp3

I did uninstall ZA.

Ran aswClear.exe5 in safemode after first uninstalling avast! 5 the normal way.

Nothing made a difference, the "Fix Now" button doesn't work.  The "start program" button doesn't work.

I put ZoneAlarm Pro back on & installed MSE till ALWIL comes up with a fix.

It's strange that Vlk has been silent about this with so many people having this problem, but I belive ALWIL is working on it.

Avast! 5 is working terrific on 7 64bit. :) 8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:04:58 AM by rdmaloyjr »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
@ YoKenny

2gigs of RAM

XP Home sp3

I did uninstall ZA.

Ran aswClear.exe5 in safemode after first uninstalling avast! 5 the normal way.

Nothing made a difference, the "Fix Now" button doesn't work.  The "start program" button doesn't work.

I put ZoneAlarm Pro back on & installed MSE till ALWIL comes up with a fix.

It's strange that Vlk has been silent about this with so many people having this problem, but I belive ALWIL is working on it.

Avast! 5 is working terrific on 7 64bit. :) 8)

I wonder when ALWI is going to fix this serious problem with avast! 5 ???

I sure would like to put avast! 5 on my XP sp3 box. :'(

joezac

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
Has anyone got a fix for the "fix now " and "start program" buttons not working yet?   ???

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 03:41:42 AM »
Save avast! 5 download & avast! 5 uninstall tool to desktop.

Run avast! 5 uninstall tool in safe mode, reboot twice.

Boot into safe mode with networking & install avast! 5, reboot.

Worked for me & others. 

I'm very happy to be back with avast! 5 Free on XP sp3, 32bit.

I never had a problem with avast! 5 free on 7 64bit.

WThesing

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »
I'll give it a go. I runs fine on my laptops, and the upgrade a couple of months back, was seamless. My desktop has choked on it. All are high end machines, but the desktop is running XP until I decide on a Win 7 upgrade for all 3. Can't wait to get rid of Vista.

WThesing

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »
RD,
     Followed the instructions you posted. Everything is working fine !!! Only had to re-register. I've been a user since V:2. 1st time I ever had a problem other than the big "false positive" debacle some months back. Kudos !!!!!!!!!!!! No conflict with Zone Alarm or any of the other protection programs I use.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:39:57 PM by WThesing »

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »
I've had this happen to me several times for no reason.  My easy solution after trouble shooting is to do a hard (cold) boot...instant fix every time.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:31 AM »
If this happens again, I think we'd be interested in the recent unpXXXXXXXX.mdmp files (if there are any) from the folder
C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log  (Windows 2000, Windows XP)
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log  (Windows Vista, Windows 7)
They might tell us what happened.

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
Since this seems to be an ongoing problem for not only myself but for others on the forum (intermittently) from build 507 to the current build, could you please let us know how we should submit our log to you as requested for analysis. 

This information would be helpful to everyone having the same problem.  Thank you.

I am currently using build 545 and have found that the following are unable to resolve the issue:  Click on Avast's "Fix It,"  Repair Avast, reboot, go into Safe Mode them reboot.  The system is malware-free and clean.  What does fix it every time?  Having to do a clean install of Avast.

I am not getting a minidump or Windows Event when this occurs.  Please let me know Avast devs. what you need and I'd be happy to help you resolve this bug.  Thank you.