Author Topic: Protection Status: SERVICE STOPPED  (Read 20716 times)

YoKenny

Re: Protection Status: SERVICE STOPPED
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »
@ SafeSurf

As you only show Win XP SP3 in your signature it would be good to update it as to XP Home or Pro and how much RAM the system has and processor type like my signature.

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
According to others in the forum: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59462.0; http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55391.30; http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55232.msg466993#msg466993; just to give a few examples, there are others out there with this problem.

If I have this so called "Avast bug," how do I get rid of it?  I'm using the same v.507 download to reinstall every time.  Is there a direct download for build 545 that I can use to see if that works?

And my XP is Home.  RAM has nothing to do with this problem since I have plenty and it is affecting more than my system as mentioned by the multiple users in this forum.  Thank you.

Could you please answer my original question in my last post as Igor suggested?  Thank you.

YoKenny

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »
On my XP Pro system I was having a problem with avast! so I submiited a dump and the problem was resolved.

How to invoke memory dump creation?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

CNET Download.com is the safe and trusted provider for Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.545
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
Thank you for the info. 

anickson

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
What a relief to find this thread. Every time I allow Windows to make updates to my computer that require a reboot, I get the Service Stopped message being discussed in this thread. Nothing works as experienced by others and I've had to uninstall, then reinstall Avast over and over to continue to install Windows updates. After reading this thread, I'm thinking it's time to find a new antivirus software. Does anyone know if it would help to disable all the shields until reboot? My knowledge of computers is very basic and if this problem is Avast, not Windows or me, I'm tiring of the time it takes to try to make Avast work for me. If Avast has no suggestions for fixing the problem, can someone advise me as to other options in free antivirus software available? Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »
Hi Anickson and welcome to the forum :-)  Before you go looking for another AV, I would wait for Avast to put out their next release, which "hopefully" addresses this issue.  There has been talk on the forum that this is perhaps isolated to only being an XP problem, but I have both XP and Vista and can reproduce the problem (I have Avast on 3 machines with different configurations).  Some mods. have suggested that the users not have enough memory causing the issue.  Perhaps this is the case for some, but not for me, esp. with a brand new machine with nothing else on it.

I do believe Avast needs to address this issue and I hope they do so in their next release. 

In the meantime, I would suggest to you to uninstall, and do a clean reinstall of Avast and see if this help you.  I would not suggest disabling the shields because you are then exposing yourself to lack of AV protection unless you have an on-demand AV scanner.  I understand that this is very frustrating.  Please reply back if this doesn't work.  Thanks.

anickson

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »
Thanks, SafeSurf, for your message.

I failed to mention that my computer is less than a year old, running Vista 32, which may be helpful to those who believe it's only happening with XP or that memory is an issue. I first received the "service stopped" message after downloading an 'important' Windows Update and rebooting according to its prompts. I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled the earlier version which worked fine. But, once I updated the Avast program, then allowed another Windows to update to be installed, I encountered the same problem with Avast. I continued to use Avast, thinking the problem was with the Windows update (or me) 2-3 more times. I then tried to fix it by following instructions I found online which included making registry changes which made me very nervous. My computer failed to reboot, and following computer prompts eventually restored my settings to the earliest possible date. For the present, I've refrained from downloading and installing any further Windows updates, thinking that was the problem. It wasn't until I found this forum that I understood that it is actually the Avast. However, I looked at some of the recommendations on this forum for fixing it and concluded that my computer skills aren't up to anything I saw there.

I already have Windows Defender and have only had this problem with the most recent version of Avast.  I realize using 'free' software is a privilege and I certainly can try to be helpful in return for its use. So long as the recommended fixes don't exceed my abilities, I'm willing to continue trying to use Avast. My thought now is to uninstall this most recent version again, reinstall the one just prior (again) and not update the program but stick to the one that works. Does anyone have a thought about that?

By the way, if anyone from Avast IS out there, I have had a LOT of experience uninstalling and reinstalling this program and I must say it was pretty annoying to finally figure out that the 'hang up' when uninstalling this most recent version was because I was required to be online at the time of uninstallation and fill out a survey. That uninstall took hours while I patiently waited for it to work, fearing that if I shut the program or my computer down, I'd wind up back to having to do another restore. Perhaps there's a less invasive way of collecting information! It certainly wasn't clear during the uninstall what was go going on or expected.

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »
It sounds like you restored your system to a previous state after your system failed...correct?  Have you checked with Windows Update to see if you are current with your updates?  Is your PC working fine other than Avast at this point?

Do you have a registry cleaner or something to check your registries to make sure all is working properly since the incident you referred to in your last post?

You should NOT have to be online to complete a survey for the uninstallation process of Avast.  I know what you are referring to, but stay offline and you won't be connected since this is not required to uninstall.  BTW, what a build of Avast are you using?  Build 5.0.545 is the latest release.

Some questions:

1. Did you by chance have a previous version of Avast in your system prior to this version? 

2. Do you have any other software on your system, like a firewall, that you can list in your post?  Can you give us more info. about your system.  Thanks.

3. Did you have a previous resident AV on this system prior to Avast? 

4. Are you rebooting twice after uninstalling? 

5. Have you been able to do at least a Full and Boot Scan since this incident to make sure you are malware-free?  Do you have any other non-resident anti-malware on your system like MBAM to also check to make sure you are clean?

Let's start from there.  Thanks.

anickson

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
Whew! You are about to expose how ignorant I am here. I will try my best to answer your questions.

Yes, I restored my computer to a previous state when it failed.

Yes, I did update the Windows Defender and run it.

I've never heard of a registry cleaner and am hoping since the computer is working ok now I won't have to do it!

I also uninstalled the Avast that wasn't working, reinstalled one I had saved, 5.0.418.0, updated its definitions and then updated again to the 5.0.418 program, then scanned my computer. There were 2-3 instances where Windows update suggested updates that required a reboot after installation. It was on the reboot that I got the 'service stopped' message. Each time I uninstalled, then reinstalled and reregistered Avast, updated the definitions and scanned my computer. It was when I started searching the internet to find out what was amiss, not thinking it was the Avast, and found this forum, that I realized it might be Avast and not Windows update or my computer that wasn't working right.

1. Yes, I started out last fall with Avast 4.8.1351.0 Home Edition. I then updated to 5.0.418.0 when it was offered. Then came 5.0.545, which is the one that I had so much trouble with. I know for certain the 4.8 one gave no difficulties. I 'think' the 5.0.418 was ok. I also 'think' I began to experience problems right away with the 5.0.545. By the way, I have two other computers running XP which have the 5.0.545 and I've had no problems, but I don't use the Windows update on them any longer as they're really, really old!

2. The only firewall I'm aware of is the Windows firewall which is always on. Info about my system. Hmmmm ... I'm not sure what you need, but here goes. Info listed under system information:

Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
Model: NY461AA-ABA CQ5107c
Type: X86-based PC
Processpr: AMD Athlon 7550 Dual-Core Processor, 2500 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors
Bios: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.49, 8/6/2009
SMBIOS Version: 2.5
RAM: 3 GB
Total Physical Memory: 2.87 GB
Available " ": 2.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 5.97
Available " ": 4.53 GB

3. No previous AV software.

4. No, I didn't know I should reboot twice after uninstalling!

5. Yes I have done a full scan. I don't know what a boot scan is, so no. I have started using Spybot Search and Destroy in addition to Avast and Windows Defender recently. I don't know what MBAM is. I had started to download AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials but haven't installed them yet and am hoping by using the version of Avast that's been working, maybe I won't need to.

Once I stopped trying to install Windows updates, the problem hasn't recurred, which has been about a week. Everything seems to be working as it did before. Before reading your note, I did uninstall Avast 5.0.545 and reinstalled a saved version of 4.8.1351.0, which I am perfectly happy with. I updated the definitions and found the definition version to be the same on this computer using 4.8.1351.0  as it is on the XP which has the 5.0.545 version which I updated today. If there's no difference in the actual definitions, it seems that the older version of Avast will suit my needs just fine since I never had any problems while using it.

Overall, unless you recommend otherwise, I think I've fixed the problem I was having to my satisfaction. I totally appreciate the time you've taken to address my problem and hope that my answers will either be helpful to the Avast team in fixing the problem, or give some hope to others who have had the same thing happen. As an inept computer operator, I do consider the system failure and having to restore to a previous state very uncomfortable situation and if sticking with the older Avast program prevents that from happening again, I'll be most grateful. Again, many thanks!

SafeSurf

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »
You did a great job in answering the questions and I'm sorry for having you write an essay.

When you uninstalled Avast in the past, did you uninstall BOTH versions 4.0+ and 5.0+ before doing a clean install?  It's possible you have remnants of either of these builds still in your system, which can cause instability. 

A boot scan is a different type of scan and is done as the PC is booting up.  Under v. 4.0+, there is a button that says Boot-time scan and you will either have to schedule it or reboot at that time.  Under 5.0+, go to Scan Computer > Boot-time Scan > Schedule now or reboot now.  I would suggest you do this since you had some registry problems.

I know you downloaded AvG and MsE, but remember you can only have one resident AV running at time without having major complications with your PC.  There have been problems with both of the products you mentioned if you download it and there are removal tools available for both.

A simple registry cleaner and crap cleaner (deletes unwanted things) is Ccleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/.

MBAM is Malwarebytes' Antimalware and is a good on-demand scanner to have http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/ that many of us use.  You only need the free version.

Have you checked to see if you are current with your Windows Updates at this point?  It is important to make sure you are current, even with your XP's because there are a lot of security patches.

If you are happy with the older build of Avast and it seems to be working fine...OK.  But I want to make sure the rest of your PC is working fine too.  That's why I want you to check to make sure you are current with your Windows Updates and can do a successful Boot Scan.  I do suggest the links above as a back up tool and cleaning  (you'd be surprised at how much builds up just by signing online), but it is your decision. 

anickson

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »
Yes, each time I've uninstalled Avast, 4.0+, 5.0+ , I've uninstalled the version I already had by using the "Programs and Features' in the Control Panel.

I found the boot scan on Avast and as soon a I've finished downloading Ccleaner and MBAM, I'm planning on running it. On your recommendation, I will run them both. Under what circumstances and how often should they be run?

Yes, I was able to successfully download all of the important Windows updates, including the Defender definitions and ran that yesterday as soon as I unstalled 5.0+ and installed 4.0+.

I didn't end up downloading AvG or MsE as I'm on dial up and it was taking longer than I had at the time. Once I saw your first note, I decided to see if I could get Avast to work after all.

The computers running XP are hand-me-downs and I don't trust the former users to have legitimate software on them so use them only for my grandchildren to play games on. I did install Avast and Spybot on both and found several viruses the first few times I scanned them. They've been clean now for sometime and I only get online with them to update the definitions.

Again, I deeply appreciate all your help.

anickson

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »
I've downloaded and installed Ccleaner and MBAM, ran them, all was clear. I also did a boot scan using Avast and it was clear. Thanks so much! I've learned a lot!

SafeSurf

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
Sounds like you're back in business.  :)  Since I run on the paranoid side only because I rely on my machine for business transactions, I tend to do probably more scans than most people do.

I definitely update my Avast definitions daily, esp. if you have dial-up, don't go past every 2 days.  I normally do a Quick Scan daily, assuming I've been on the PC.  I do a Full System Scan weekly and a Boot Scan every other week.

As for CCleaner, I do that every time I sign off-line or every time I close my browser esp. if I've just done a business transaction. 

Since you have dial-up, I would update the definitions daily or you will be sitting in front of the PC paying bills or playing solitaire while it is updating.  I do a Quick Scan daily just before I'm ready to shut down the PC, and a Full Scan weekly.

After your first Avast scans, they will go much quicker.  Just remember to keep your speakers turned on since you will get a verbal notice (voice and ping) when the scan is done....or a siren if you have a virus (something we all dread).

I think you're all set now.  Glad I could help.  Let us know if you have more questions.

donmajor

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
Mine keeps stopping too. I then discovered that when I use the Crazy Browser, Avast does not stop. Until ALWIL finds a soolution, you can do your internet stuff with Crazy Browser and your avast will not stop!

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »
Mine keeps stopping too. I then discovered that when I use the Crazy Browser, Avast does not stop. Until ALWIL finds a soolution, you can do your internet stuff with Crazy Browser and your avast will not stop!

@ donmajor

You have replied to an issue with an earlier version of Avast. If you are having problems you should post a new topic.