Author Topic: AIS firewall high CPU load  (Read 10398 times)

Hermite15

Re: AIS firewall high CPU load
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »
also: off topic here, but since I know you're watching the thread ;D >>> absolutely needed, the ability to reinstall the firewall if it was removed for any reason. Every time I attempted to re-add it to AIS, it was a complete failure. The Firewall service doesn't even exist, there's just a UI that of course cannot start, and the only solution is to uninstall/reinstall ("repair" doesn't repair that).

arigamor

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
Same problem and complety sure is afwServ.exe, checked the processes monitor and take 50% to 100% of the CPU.

Happens in my Toshiba Qosmio 4G-Vista Pro and in a deskop intel P35 with 4G-XP Pro Sp3.

Tried to stop firewall service but it refuses to stop.

My Avast is not free, it´s Avast Internet Security version 5.0.507. DB 100427-1, and stupid of me, paid for two years subscription...

Unfortunatly I paid for Avast. Left McAfee and now thinking of uninstall and go to another and more stable AV.

Lost money. Easy money. Isn´t it? I´m really frustrated.

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
Tried to stop firewall service but it refuses to stop

yeah as said that's the main subsequent problem when it happens: you can't stop the service. It does appear as stopped in computer management but the corresponding process keeps running.

arigamor

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »
Go into safe mode and disable the service then restart. That´s the only way I found to "recover" my pcs. I used them for work not just for pleasure.

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 08:34:56 PM »
not needed here, I just reboot and that's fine...adding that in normal conditions, where there's no unusual CPU load, the firewall can be disabled (unloaded) easily if needed.

arigamor

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »
Like me.... for a while, then, the problem came back twice. I can´t restart every time the firewall gets mad.

Hope you get it working fine.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
also: off topic here, but since I know you're watching the thread ;D >>> absolutely needed, the ability to reinstall the firewall if it was removed for any reason. Every time I attempted to re-add it to AIS, it was a complete failure. The Firewall service doesn't even exist, there's just a UI that of course cannot start, and the only solution is to uninstall/reinstall ("repair" doesn't repair that).

Hi, indeed, the guys from the Setup team have found something fishi there. It should be fixed as well with the next update.
L.

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »

Hi, indeed, the guys from the Setup team have found something fishi there. It should be fixed as well with the next update.
L.

ok cool :) when you're saying update you mean engine update or new program build?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Program build - sorry - but it should be quite soon. Beta should be released next week I suppose.

Lukas.

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »
Program build - sorry - but it should be quite soon. Beta should be released next week I suppose.

Lukas.

no problem, I'll be glad to try it when it's there ;)