Author Topic: Avast loaded, now pc will not boot  (Read 2162 times)

wampy

Avast loaded, now pc will not boot
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:10:02 AM »
I downloaded the latest free version of avast.  I did a full system scan.  Some viruses were found, none were system files, i deleted them.  I set it up to do a boot time scan and restarted the computer.  It will not restart.  I cannot access safe mode or use the recovery console.  "last known good configuration" does not work.  the computer reboots itself before any of these can finish loading.  I am looking for some suggestions here.  I had no such problems previous to installing avast.

wampy

Re: Avast loaded, now pc will not boot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:39:06 AM »
Additional note of interest...  The one blue screen I could keep up on the screen long enough to read mentioned that I had an unmountable boot drive.  Using a setup disk, i came to the screen where you choose what partition to install the OS on.  My boot drive was listed as having all of it's memory space free as if there was no data on it whatsoever?  What did trying to run avast on boot up do to my system????

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:19:57 AM »
I'm a far shot from an expert but I believe I've seem recommendations to hold onto anything avast flags for until you are sure its safe to delete, in the pinned topic above.

wampy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:01:13 AM »
Wow, and no response from the avast support system through their support ticket system after several days.  How did CNET rate this mess so highly?