Author Topic: Avast Internet Security - AvastUI.exe Configuration Incorrect Error  (Read 8293 times)

Offline DAVE_T

I have been installing and uninstalling AIS over and over again, the past 2 days, only to get the same error. I have read through countless messages on this forum and I have downloaded and used the Avast uninstall tool in Safe Mode. I have rebooted, double clicked, uninstalled, re-installed, etc, etc. etc.

I have disabled as many startup up processes as possible. All yielding the same "Configuration Incorrect" error.

I am fed up. There was no hesitation in taking my sister-in-law's money for the product. I made the mistake of insisting that she use Avast to overcome email viruses she was encountering using McAfee.

It seems that Avast AIS is running after an install and reboot - I just can't get to the User Interface nor is there an icon in the system tray. I can left click on the desktop icon and see various Avast options (sandbox, virtual). This was fine product I have used for years. What the ____ Happened?

Only thing I have not tried messing with are the files in the WinSxS directory. I am willing to try this, too, if there is reason to believe it will help.

Computer: Dell Latitude D520 Laptop
    Operating system is Windows XP  Pro - Service Pack 3
    Setup_AIS.exe is ver 5.0.507.0 - saved 21 April 2010

Is there a fix? I fear that the license will become invalid before I can get AIS operational.

HELP!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast Internet Security - AvastUI.exe Configuration Incorrect Error
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
Dave T, what was the AV installed on your computer before installing AIS?
Ah, I see that McAfee was used. Try downloading the McAfee removal tool from McAfee or MajorGeeks.
I'd be inclined to uninstall everything (offline, of course) then run both tools (Avast then McAfee's), rebooting in between, reboot again, install Avast afresh, and see how you go.

All these tools, and the installation file, should be run as an admin or from an admin account.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DAVE_T

Re: McAfee - AvastUI.exe Configuration Incorrect Error
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
Tarq57,

Thank you for the time you took to respond, but.....

I downloaded and executed the removal tools for Norton, McAFee, Avast, and AVG. I rebooted after executing each removal tool. I then re-installed Avast - yielding the same result.

In addition to Avast not installing properly, I have Microsoft updates which will not install either.

Any other ideas?

Does Awil have a solution for what appears to not be a unique problem?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:41:01 AM »
What happens if you visit the MS Update site on that computer?

Offline DAVE_T

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:57:16 AM »
I have to use IE8 to access the Microsoft site. The website displays a blank screen. The url is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Trying to access the support tab from microsoft.com a message is displayed "Javascript:void(0)".

When I go to bottom of same page an click on windows update I get a blank page, again. The url is http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:14:06 AM »
I don't really know about this. I have no trouble displaying the site (in IE, of course.)
It is possible that there is an old, out of date version of the MS installer, and/or the WGA tool has not been kept up to date, but that shouldn't prevent the page displaying. (Settings allowing scripting being blocked might.)
It is more likely there is malware on the machine preventing the site - and Avast from displaying, is present.

Hopefully someone who knows better will spot this and help.

Offline DAVE_T

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
Tarq57,

Thanks for your insights. I have scanned for malware with SpyWare Doctor, Norton, McAfee,  and AVG. Early on McAfee located 4 pieces of malware and removed it. All subsequent checks by other vendors has yielded nothing.

I don't have a problem displaying with the MS-Update page on my desktop which is running Avast 4.8.

I will try some more rootkits. Maybe they will find some malware. Again thank you so much for your help.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »
How long ago was McAfee run? Within the past 2 or 3 days (roughly) there was a McAfee update which caused legit system files to be lost.
Possibility.
I wonder if Spyware Doctor could be conflicting with Avast? It's considered a pretty bloated program, apparently reasonably effective, but on average somewhat disliked for it's limited-feature behaviour...that is, install it, scan, find stuff, pay to have it removed. No effective full - featured trial. And it's considered fairly bloated. (A better alternative, in my opinion, is MBAM.)
Try uninstalling SD and see if that helps.

Have you run the removal tools for Norton and AVG?

Offline DAVE_T

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 04:29:49 AM »
I used Malware Byte and I found two pieces of malware. I also used Spyware Doctor. These were used independent of any other software, i.e. stand alone.

McAfee was on the system for some time. It may have updated itself creating the problem. I will research this.

For whatever reason, neither the User Interface works without the error, nor does the icon appear in the system tray. Via the msconfig application Services tab I was able to see that Avast Antivirus, Firewall, Mail Scanner, and Web Scanner are running.

However, the Configuration Incorrect Error is still displayed when the Avast desktop icon is clicked.

I downloaded and ran windows installer 4.5. This resolved the auto update issue.

Offline DAVE_T

Re:Not McAfee - AvastUI.exe Configuration Incorrect Error
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 05:39:16 AM »
I checked the McAfee error from 21 April, and the svchost error was not a problem on the machine.