Author Topic: Avast 5.0 doesn't delete 4.8 shields?  (Read 1993 times)

windward

Avast 5.0 doesn't delete 4.8 shields?
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:16:33 AM »
Aloha,
I installed Avast 5.0 yesterday. Today I am trying to remove a suspected malware through Malwarbytes and they asked me to turn off my anti-virus so ComboFix could work. I turned off the shields in 5.0, but ComboFix reported Avast 4.8 shields are still running.
How do I turn them off??
I've attached two screen shots showing what I'm talking about.
Thanks!
Jim

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5.0 doesn't delete 4.8 shields?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:43:48 AM »
you can't turn them off because they're not running anymore. That's a mistake from Combo fix thinking Avast 4 is still there, due to something that messed up during your upgrade to Avast 5 (ask me again why I tell everyone to uninstall V4 first and not upgrade directly ::) ). There must be some files from V4 left behind...that's not your fault; Avast told people that they could upgrade directly, seems finally really possible since 5.0.507...
 Your way out is probably to uninstall Avast completely until you've solved your malware issues...

windward

Re: Avast 5.0 doesn't delete 4.8 shields?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:17:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I guess it is still not a good thing because the version I have is 5.0.507.
 :-\
I'll try uninstalling and re-installing after I get the malware thing solved. It is a trojan.bho issue.
 :P