Author Topic: Can't register avast free  (Read 6836 times)

xqrzd

Can't register avast free
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:55:18 AM »
I am working on a computer that previously had version 4.8, and the license had run out. So I uninstalled it and installed version 5, but now it won't let me register it. When I click the register button, the window closes, but nothing happens. I also tried using the online form, but the email was never sent. I hope this is addressed, this is the second time I have had problems registering avast, I had previously requested help when registering IS failed, but the post was ignored. I'm repairing this computer for a friend and I am out of time, so I had to install a different antivirus program since avast won't work. Here is a screenshot of the registration box (the links on the bottom, "Uninstall avast" and "remind me later" are also broken, they do nothing when clicked)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't register avast free
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:14:38 AM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch (removing version 4 and installing the 5):

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

xqrzd

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:32:39 AM »
Thanks Tech, that worked, avast is now registered :)
I think the problem may have been a corrupted installation, shortly after I had installed avast, the system froze, so I had to force restart.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:34:33 AM »
You're welcome xqrzd.
The best things in life are free.