Author Topic: Avast scan time faster than usual?  (Read 9692 times)

fernbomb

Avast scan time faster than usual?
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:38 AM »
I noticed this started occurring the same time the recent exception code errors happened (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58762.0)

My scans are now running twice as fast as normal. For example, on 4/18, a full scan took 1 hour, 2 minutes, but from 4/20 onwards, it takes just 28 minutes. I was just wondering if this is a new feature in Avast that makes it run much faster than before, or if there's a problem/error.

I'm using Avast free 5.0.507 and database 100422-1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast scan time faster than usual?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:17:01 AM »
avast 5 should run faster than avast 4.
If you're using persistent cache, subsequent scannings from version 5 could be faster.
The scanning speed also depends on what you're doing in your computer (number of files and archives, etc.).
The best things in life are free.

avast fan

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »
This i know happened to me also,Please see this topic i started a few days ago with some helpful advice...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58853.0

fernbomb

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
I never had Avast 4, only 5. I'm not using the persistent cache either. Basically, nothing was changed between the dates of the two scans, other than the database updates.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
Yes, the speedup was caused by some improvements in the scanning engine (contained in the "virus database"). It manifests only for specific scans, such as the default "Full system scan" task.
There's room for additional improvements... that will most likely happen in the next few virus database updates. ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
There's room for additional improvements... that will most likely happen in the next few virus database updates. ;)

Wow...!! ;D 8)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

kidd

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »
Mine seems to have settled at around 7 minutes (down from 40+).  ;D I used to run a mix of quick & full scans throughout the week but just run full scans now.  ;D ;D

Kidd

fernbomb

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 05:32:15 AM »
That's amazing, my scans generally take ~1 hour no matter which AV I use, but I certainly don't mind the new faster scan times.

Are the scans still as effective as they were before?

frank2000

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:04:46 AM »
My flash drive 1.7 GB data, took very few seconds  :o with 5.0.507 !?
I repeat
Are the scans still as effective as they were before?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
Yes, the changes have no effect on the efficiency of the scans... I plan to have a blog post soon when I'll explain what changes we have implemented, and why they usually have such a dramatic performance gain.

According to our testing, on a typical system the speed-up of the Full System Scan is 2-6x.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:25:10 AM »
Nice :)

Full System Scan went from 1.06 h. to 25 min. here :o

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:34:39 AM »
According to our testing, on a typical system the speed-up of the Full System Scan is 2-6x.  :)

Well done...  8)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 03:26:21 PM »
Here is the promised blog post: http://blog.avast.com/2010/04/25/how-to-make-the-full-system-scan-6x-faster-in-10-days/
Thanks
Vlk

Thanks a lot for the link and the speed up, of course..! Again very good work..!! :D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
LOL I was gonna post a new thread... not needed anymore. After a new install yesterday, I was reluctant to run a full scan (to populate the persistence cache on all drives) and it generally is quite resource demanding and you never know how long it lasts (I've had times between 15 minutes up to almost two hours in a first scan after first full scans on misc Avast 5 builds). Anyway earlier today I run an explorer scan (set to write to cache as well as to read from it) on Windows folders >>> winsxs, system32 and others, it was lightning fast ::) So I thought I was gonna post about it, wondering why it was that fast, while scanning the same folders, the full scan preset usually takes ages to scan, also considering the fact that the explorer scan scans "deeper" (whole file enabled) than pre-set scan...gonna test the full scan again now and report back...won't be relevant unless I delete all persistence cache data as many folders have already been scanned otherwise.

ps: thanks for your blog post Vlk, that's really interesting ;)

edit: just wanted to add that subsequent scans to a first full scan, on my system, have always been dramatically reduced (duration)...I never observed that times were the same...not the same gain as with the quick scan, but still, reduction was from 1 hour (first scan) to 18 minutes with new scans.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:42:06 PM by Logos »