Author Topic: Avast scan time faster than usual?  (Read 9693 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast scan time faster than usual?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
what I can say so far, is that the writing to persistence cache is definitely much faster than before...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »
I have just run two full scans, and have not seen any inprovement...

initial scan:
Time: 30:17
Data: 94.44 GB

2nd Scan:
Time:28:10
Data: 94.47

Running a third now, but it looks to be that it is going to be similar...

Although, I am not sure if I have done any full scans prior to this...

-Scott-

EDIT: That said, I can see where the cache is having effect...about 30 - 70 is very quick as it scans the windows stuff...the rest though is no different...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:15:02 PM by spg SCOTT »

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
yes definitely scans following a first full scans, ie when the persistence cache has been written already, are not faster than before, but again, a first full scan, when cache gets written, is much faster that it use to be.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
so about 30 is the shortest it will be for me then?

I usually only do quick scans anyway so not that bothered...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »
edit: just wanted to add that subsequent scans to a first full scan, on my system, have always been dramatically reduced (duration)...I never observed that times were the same...not the same gain as with the quick scan, but still, reduction was from 1 hour (first scan) to 18 minutes with new scans.

The "Full system scan" has kinda special settings - the option "Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache" in unchecked, while "Store data about scanned files in the persistent cache" is checked. That's where the second speedup takes place.

Hermite15

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
edit: just wanted to add that subsequent scans to a first full scan, on my system, have always been dramatically reduced (duration)...I never observed that times were the same...not the same gain as with the quick scan, but still, reduction was from 1 hour (first scan) to 18 minutes with new scans.

The "Full system scan" has kinda special settings - the option "Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache" in unchecked, while "Store data about scanned files in the persistent cache" is checked. That's where the second speedup takes place.

I always changed that, set the full scan to use the persistence cache, and not just write to it. There wouldn't be any speed up in subsequent scans if "use" wasn't checked.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »
Well, now there is - because the scanning is perfomed every time, but the verification of the signatures not.

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »
Well, now there is - because the scanning is perfomed every time, but the verification of the signatures not.

OK I screwed up ::) you just meant that the speed up comes from the full scan not having to write to cache once it's already done. And indeed it was redoing it again and again until now, explaining why the scan times were not reduced.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:10:26 PM by Logos »

marc-d-l

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »
I love the new scan time. Went from an 1:22 to 14 minutes
Cant beat that.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »
so about 30 is the shortest it will be for me then?

I usually only do quick scans anyway so not that bothered...

Got it down to about 17 mins by excluding C:\Windows.old...nothing is going to change in there...just wasting time scanning it...never even realised that it was being scanned...

That's more like it :D