Author Topic: Avast Internet Security Reinstalled, Vista no longer starts.  (Read 4731 times)

MaxDuo

Avast Internet Security Reinstalled, Vista no longer starts.
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:45:50 AM »
About a month ago I formatted my computer and was in the process of reinstalling all of my things on it, when I decided to try out Avast, to see how I felt about it compared to AVG.  I liked it quite a bit and actually decided when it asked about the 2 year half off renewal I figured I'd go ahead and subscribe to keep the full version.

It gave me a file to download and the liscense.

I was about to uninstall avast when I realized it had a thing that said: "Click here to add your license" so I tried that and it said it was out of date.  I suppose this was due to me not installing the actual file that they gave me with the license?

Anyway, I uninstalled avast, then installed the file it gave me, gave it the license, and it wanted me to restart.   (Oh yeah, and of course I restarted after uninstalling earlier).  I walked away and was messing with my netbook, then I looked over after a while because I kept hearing my DVD ROM spinning every few minutes and stop.  I saw the screen Windows throws up when it doesn't manage to restart properly  I went over and tried to start Windows normally and again it failed and restarted the computer.  I started up in safe mode, restored the most recent state, and it was fine.  I tried to install avast again and got the same thing.

So this time I restored, and looked online for anything to solve this problem.  I saw a thread talking about something when switching from Avast 4 to 5, you needed to make sure it was fully uninstalled and they had a link to the avast cleaner or whatever it was called (I'm not home at the moment, just going off of what I remember).  I used this... restarted... installed... and again had the same issue.  This time it didn't list anymore restore points so I started in safe mode and uninstalled Avast.

Any idea or clues about what is wrong / that I can do to fix this?

I have Vista 64 bit.  Right now my best solution seems to just install the XP Pro from my old computer or get Windows 7, because I've had Vista do this to itself before with updates, but right now it's only happening when I install Avast.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Internet Security Reinstalled, Vista no longer starts.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
Which version of avast did you use?
The latest build is 5.0.507. ;)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58539.0
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MaxDuo

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
Hmmm, not sure.  I used the one from the link I was given when I paid for the subscription.

MaxDuo

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
I installed the most recent one on the site and get the same result, Windows won't start up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:47:55 PM »
1. AVG Remover can be downloaded here: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
2. Check if you have a valid license file and bought it from a true site at sales@avast.com

Then, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

MaxDuo

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:06:24 PM »
I actually had already used the avast Uninstall Utility before.  But I went ahead and redownloaded that and Avast, did the uninstall, restarted, installed, restarted, and still Windows won't load for me :-\

MaxDuo

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
No one else have any suggestions or ideas about this?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
1. AVG Remover can be downloaded here: http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Did you completely remove AVG? See post from Tech.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MaxDuo

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:32:42 PM »
I actually had already used the avast Uninstall Utility before. 

That's what I meant by this post.  I'd used the AVG Uninstaller before even posting on these forums.  And after seeing his post I reinstalled everything again in the same order he said and still nothing.

kwamectc

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
same problem here.. I installed the internet security  from download.com but vista wont start even in safe boot... >:(

I have uninstalled MSE then download the internet security.. version 5.0.507.. then boom! after booting it wont start.. maybe due to the firewall thing, i read on some forum..