Author Topic: Avast! 5 is unable to update - SOLVED!!!!!  (Read 13330 times)

franklyeasy

Avast! 5 is unable to update - SOLVED!!!!!
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED

SOLVED! didnt even have to go into system restore. It turns out that my setup files were encrypted when I placed them into my download folder (which I have encrypted by default). so when it installed the program files there was an inconsistency between the files under setup which were encrypted and the rest of the files under the AVAST! folder which were not. In otherwords if youre having this same problem and you either compress or encrypt your files than check to make sure that all your files under the avast folder match. you'll know because the title of each file should be in black not green or blue. Also you will have to disable file protection for when you do this. worked right away no restart needed. And make sure if your using windows firewall that you allow avast.setup under sfx folder internet access. WORKED FOR ME ATLEAST GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ELSE.

hello I am currently running windows xp sp3 and when I installed avast! for the very first time I noticed that it would not update. I tried to manually install it, i tried reinstalling, using the avast removal tool in safe mode and reinstalling it, still nothing. Finally I noticed that under my services list that avs4 control service was unable to start. however I also had noticed that it was referring to a folder in a previous version of avast and not the current.

I have attached a photo.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:27:38 PM by franklyeasy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! 5 is unable to update, update service will not start
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:41:42 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

franklyeasy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

Nope nothing has changed, its almost as if I've done nothing at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
Are you choosing the correct avast version and the folder of the old installations?
What do you mean nothing is being done?
Does the uninstaller failed? Did you try in Safe Mode?
Did you do the two boots?

franklyeasy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
Are you choosing the correct avast version and the folder of the old installations?
What do you mean nothing is being done?
Does the uninstaller failed? Did you try in Safe Mode?
Did you do the two boots?

Let me clarify. I have follow your instructions exactly i had no problem uninstalling the program from control panel, no problem running the uninstall utility after reboot, no problem reinstalling the program and no problem registering after reboot - update however does not work. What I am saying is that I am having the same problem that I was having before - nothing has changed. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »
Ok.
Are you installing version 4 or 5? Why 4?
If that service is there... well, you're not uninstalling avast as it belongs to version 4.

franklyeasy

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:14 PM »
Ok.
Are you installing version 4 or 5? Why 4?
If that service is there... well, you're not uninstalling avast as it belongs to version 4.

I am installing version 5, I've never ever ever used or heard of version 4.8. I dont know why the service is listed there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »
Look... the service there belongs to version 4.
Run the uninstaller tool and point it to avast folder (if it does not exist, create an empty folder and point to it).
Run and boot.

franklyeasy

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »
Look... the service there belongs to version 4.
Run the uninstaller tool and point it to avast folder (if it does not exist, create an empty folder and point to it).
Run and boot.

And nothing still. I even did it in safe mode that time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »
Wait... I'm on Linux now. I need to come back to Windows to check the registry key for the service.

franklyeasy

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »
Wait... I'm on Linux now. I need to come back to Windows to check the registry key for the service.

Ok heres the other to. I installed the same program on both of my virtual machines and they seemed to update fine, also it seems that not such update service is supposed to exist with Avast 5 after examining the running services of both machines. I disabled the Avast4 updater on my side and tried to get rid of it via command prompt but it could not find it, than I tried deleting it via regedit, same result could not find it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:20 PM »
The service seems to be listed here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
But the uninstall tool (running for version 4, because there are two ways to run the uninstaller...) should have been remove it.

franklyeasy

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 01:18:19 AM »
The service seems to be listed here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
But the uninstall tool (running for version 4, because there are two ways to run the uninstaller...) should have been remove it.

Alrighty ran under safemode, uninstalled avast 5, removed the key for it. ran regmechanic, reinstalled under normal mode and guess? STILL NOT WORKING! wtf did the devil program my machine, what could possibly be wrong someone please help.

doktornotor

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »
Install it in safe mode...

franklyeasy

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »
Install it in safe mode...

Did exactly that NADA - ill tell ya what Ill upload some relevant information and you guys, being the experts and all, can tell me what my issue is and what i should do next based on that information rather than just guessing which so far has gotten us no where.  

Good luck Ill will need it.

http://www.box.net/shared/8n8s7nay0o