Author Topic: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)  (Read 36405 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »
I've uploaded my setup.log here if you'd care to have a look:

You can attach a shortened version to a post here.
The last 300 lines should be enough.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

vordme34

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »
I've been using avast for more than 3 yrs now and it served me really well, considering it's a free program! I will try everything, it just makes me curious how on earth this happened since it was updating OK on its own till a few days ago! And contrary to Mr Brainz case, v5 was updating real nice with my COMODO setup (COMODO didn't come up with any updates in the last few days, at least that's what I think). I will try later this evening completely removing avast again and setting it from scratch, now that Ad-aware and S&D are uninstalled, just to check.. Thanks pal!

vordme34

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
I've uploaded my setup.log here if you'd care to have a look:

You can attach a shortened version to a post here.
The last 300 lines should be enough.
asyn

I've made the rapidshare link as trafficshare so there's no limit in downloading it from there (in case some1 needs the whole file)
The postback function here at the forum has a 10000 chars long limit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:28 PM »

Use the attach function below. (200kb should be enough for 300 lines of text) ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:58 PM »
I've been using avast for more than 3 yrs now and it served me really well, considering it's a free program! I will try everything, it just makes me curious how on earth this happened since it was updating OK on its own till a few days ago! And contrary to Mr Brainz case, v5 was updating real nice with my COMODO setup (COMODO didn't come up with any updates in the last few days, at least that's what I think). I will try later this evening completely removing avast again and setting it from scratch, now that Ad-aware and S&D are uninstalled, just to check.. Thanks pal!

OK, we'll try everything then. ;) You're welcome. Awaiting your reply later.
Comodo is not the problem, as it usually whitelists all files/actions of avast...
asyn

vordme34

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »

Use the attach function below. (200kb should be enough for 300 lines of text) ;)
asyn

cut it down in two parts and uploading in two posts.. here's part1

vordme34

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »

asyn

part2

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
I doubt that SpyBot Search & Destroy is causing the Avast update problem.  If it is, then it would be the Teatimer module.  I don't have the module active, and have no problem updating.  It can be disabled for the Avast install.

I wonder if Avast 5 has been added to the whitelisted items in Teatimer.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

infowars

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
Hey ya All,

Want to say LUV Avast. . . . but. . .

I've joined this topic cause. .

Running 5.0.0 4?? Saw icon wrong color, so I checked.... said PROGRAM needed update > clicked UPDATE > waited 2 hours seeing 1 of 3 showing for that time span.   ???

Checked Comodo> said ALWIL Allowed   ;D

Don't have silly Billy's stuff running ie Firewall auto updates, defense thingys!

Uninstalled Avast > Cleaned w/Regedit > Dnloaded 5.0.507 > installed > Rebooted > Registered FREE version> TRIED to run UPDATE > 1- 3 for 2 HOURS > Ran SCAN > TRIED to UPDATE > Saw 1 of 3 STILL

Followed the LINK for the UPDATE download, you so kindly provided, and TRIED to install got the same ERROR
Can't install VPS update. Please report the following errorcodes:
Ver:5.0.507
SI: 0x00000002
ST: 0xFFFFFFFE
LE: 0x00000000"

Did the (many thanks to vordme34) >>>> CP > ADD and Remove> UNINSTALL> UPDATE and BINGO it did an UPDATE BUT. . .

Go to Avast Control > SUMMARY > SEE Big “FIX NOW “ icon > Ticked it a big bunch of times > NADA happened > Go to Real Time Shields, on same screen just a ways down > TICK TURN ON a bunch of times > NADA happened

GO to REAL TIME SHIELDS Tab > ALL RUNNING except the ONE that really need to RUN > WEB SHIELD NOT Running > Clicked the icon “START” > NADA happened

Running XP Home SP 3 Comodo, Malware Bytes, CC Cleaner, nCleaner

NO spybot nor Lavasoft stuff or Windows stuff!

So now what we do….. PLEASE HELP

Thanks very much. . .!

PS. . .Can't upload screenshot to BIG for the uploader!  ???

vordme34

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »
I doubt that SpyBot Search & Destroy is causing the Avast update problem.  If it is, then it would be the Teatimer module.  I don't have the module active, and have no problem updating.  It can be disabled for the Avast install.

I wonder if Avast 5 has been added to the whitelisted items in Teatimer.

@Gopher John: I always had Teatimer active, actually that's how I installed Avast 5 the first time about 2 months ago. Avast 5 WAS updating fine except for the last 2 weeks or so.. I have uninstalled S&D totally and now uninstalling and reinstalling it again.. I somehow have the feeling it's not going to work anyways.

vordme34

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 08:06:45 PM »
@Asyn: With S&D and Ad-aware uninstalled I rebooted, uninstalled Avast 5 via add/remove programes, booted in safe, used the avast removal tool, then booted back normally. Exited Malwarebytes, killed its service in the taskmanager, disabled it also via the services console. Then reinstalled Avast 5. Booted, registered it and then as it was expected it hang forever in the "initializing.." etc step (1/2 for vps or 1/3 for program). Monitored the taskmanager processes for any new instane of any of avast's .exe when calling the manual update but nothing came up. Invoked the ashupd.exe (both with the "program" or "vps" parameters) from the cli and it brought up an Alwill logo and a "Working.." message for about 5 secs and it exited with no error code or sth. Still the only way I can update Avast 5 is through the "Update" option after calling it up from "Add/Remove Programs" in control panel. Reinstalling S&D (I'll give it a thought about Ad-aware since it never caught anything in my system except some cookies).
Asyn shall we move to plan B  ???

vordme34

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
Btw (and though I rebooted after performing the update via add/remove programs) avast 5 now refuses to show that it is updated to the latest (100424) vps version! It seems stuck on 100414 that probably comes with the installation setup package. Just mentioning it, since till this noon it was refreshing its report on this when I performed my tricky update and was booting afterwards.. weird

infowars

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
. . . .I performed my tricky update and was booting afterwards.. weird

Thanks. . .  "tricky update" worked for me, and did an actual real time update, but still seeing no Full REAL TIME SHIELDS even after 2 re-boots.
And when surfing and dnloading, that makes me more "nervous than a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs."

Hope someone figures this out soon.   If I had any money, I'd Almost pay someone!  ::)

vordme34

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
. . . .I performed my tricky update and was booting afterwards.. weird

Thanks. . .  "tricky update" worked for me, and did an actual real time update, but still seeing no Full REAL TIME SHIELDS even after 2 re-boots.
And when surfing and dnloading, that makes me more "nervous than a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs."

Hope someone figures this out soon.   If I had any money, I'd Almost pay someone!  ::)

Dunno, my shields seem to be on with no problems. But it's really messy having to manually update via cp's add/remove->uninstall->update route! Something is halting avast from doing it auto (or manually via the ui) and it's really weird that the program itself doesn't come up with ANY error code or sth!!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »
Asyn shall we move to plan B  ???

We do. First download, manually update and run A²: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
If there is nothing found and the system is clean post a HJT log.
asyn