Author Topic: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)  (Read 36401 times)

vordme34

Re: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »
Asyn shall we move to plan B  ???

We do. First download, manually update and run A²: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
If there is nothing found and the system is clean post a HJT log.
asyn

should I uninstall avast first? A squared says it's an a/v too?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »

No need, it's an on demand scanner only, if you use the free version.
So follow my link and use the free!! version of a².
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

vordme34

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »

No need, it's an on demand scanner only, if you use the free version.
So follow my link and use the free!! version of a².
asyn

Well I did a  smart scan and nothing remarkable came up, except for some low risk tracking cookies and some file/directory/registry entries of shareazaa (which I deleted and also uninstalled the program). It also showed entries of VNC (RealVNC) which I use regularly and of ActiveMark Software of Trymedia systems (seems some game security software, dunno how I got this). Anyways I deleted them all (I will probably have to reinstall VNC later). I attach the log of HJT (confirm pls, I used the Trend micro version, did they buy the program??)

vordme34

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
I went through my hjt log and checked 2-3 entries that didn't ring a bell on fisrt sight.. they were all safe (MS or so).. Do you think Windows Defender might have anything to do with my problem???

infowars

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
I went through my hjt log and checked 2-3 entries that didn't ring a bell on fisrt sight.. they were all safe (MS or so).. Do you think Windows Defender might have anything to do with my problem???

On that Q.... I can answer.....
I don't have ALL of silly Billys stuff in my XP Home on SP 3. . .  and turned OFF  on my sisters PC with Vista Home (Ugh! ) But I haven't had any problem on that PC with Avast updating or upgrading . . . YET!

I did another Safe Mode Uninstall. and moving on with ONE eye on this topic.

Hope no one else has to go thru this . . . .

Later!

balane78

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »
Hope no one else has to go thru this . . . .
This situation has been experienced many times by many persons but the current answer is that it is your computer that is faulty, even after you did all the un-install/re-install process by every possible mean and every possible tool. This applies to various OS (XP, Vista, W7).

I finally returned to 4.8 until somebody in Avast decides to really fix this bug.

I am fed up with people saying that "it needs not be fixed because it does not appear on every computer equipped with v.5".
As a software project manager, I now for sure that my clients will nail me on the door of the barn should I answer that.

For all that good luck.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »

Hi, i checked your logs.
In avast preferences/updates be sure to:
- uncheck dialup connection
- uncheck always connected to internet
- in the proxysettings check direct connection (no proxy)
- restart
- try manual update and post back
And yes, i would also drop defender before.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

vordme34

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »

Hi, i checked your logs.
In avast preferences/updates be sure to:
- uncheck dialup connection
- uncheck always connected to internet
- in the proxysettings check direct connection (no proxy)
- restart
- try manual update and post back
And yes, i would also drop defender before.

This is definetely a bug (and Avast 5 is more of a beta than a final). Uninstalled Windows Defender and all of the settings you point to were already set as such (except from "Always connected" which i unchecked). Rebooted. No updates. I tend to believe that the guys at Alwill were looking for beta testers... Is there a plan C?
asyn

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »
Is there a plan C?

Sure. Disable your VPN and try again.
asyn

vordme34

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
@Asyn: VPN is not active but I exited it anyway. Same thing..

vordme34

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
@Infowars: I confirm, my webshield graph shows no pages scanned at all!! Even if I open 30 pages at the same time in FF no actions seems to be taking place in the webshield!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »

Ok, lets dig into comodo firewall then...
Is "avast.setup" allowed in comodo? (allow all outgoing tcp traffic to port 80)
For "AvastSvc.exe" allow at least all outgoing tcp to destination ports 465, 25, 80, 995, 110 and allow ip out (any ip/any ip) for icmp.
asyn

vordme34

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »

Ok, lets dig into comodo firewall then...
Is "avast.setup" allowed in comodo? (allow all outgoing tcp traffic to port 80)
For "AvastSvc.exe" allow at least all outgoing tcp to destination ports 465, 25, 80, 995, 110 and allow ip out (any ip/any ip) for icmp.
asyn

although Alwil's files are signed and recognised by comodo, I had already on my own whitelisted all of the files residing in avast 5 folder. Anyway I manually added all of the above as extra rules (regardless that they were already practically included in the more general rule comodo was following). Plan D  ???

infowars

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »
First of all thank you for your help and your valuable time in these problems.

I do see "avast.setup" allowed in comodo. . . states (allow all outgoing tcp traffic to port 80)

I don't see any allowance of the "AvastSvc.exe" any port anywhere. I checked the whole of last week. It does state. . .  ICMP Destination. . .  Code 0

How do I a screen shot to you, or Avast support on my Comodo settings?

As you know the shots are to big to upload as an attachment to post!

I not savvy enough to place them into a post directly!

I was thinking that it was Comodo as it did it all of a sudden, poof, on both 5.0.462 and than same exact action, blocking Fix Now etc. again on installs of 5.0.701

Guess I'll also register to Comodo forum, but rather have Comodo and Avast work things out amoung themselves.
They the developers not me!
I"m just the endangered species.  ::)

vordme34

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
@Infowars: photobucket.com
Reg for free, upload and send the link here