Author Topic: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)  (Read 36601 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »
although Alwil's files are signed and recognised by comodo, I had already on my own whitelisted all of the files residing in avast 5 folder. Anyway I manually added all of the above as extra rules (regardless that they were already practically included in the more general rule comodo was following). Plan D  ???

Did you do this in the firewall settings or are you talking about the HIPS (D+) ??
Could you temporarily disable comodo for a quick test?
Also do you run some other kind of local proxy? Means can you connect to the net without any special proxy settings? Look up your internet settings in ie, if any proxy is set there. (also Lan) How do you connect to the net? (dialup/cable/(W)Lan/DSL) Do you use a router?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

vordme34

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »

Did you do this in the firewall settings

I did this (adding the ports you mention) in the Firewal Security Policy

or are you talking about the HIPS (D+) ??

Is this supposed to be Defense+ cause there it is (My Own Safe Files) where I had previously added the Avast folder when I was trying to troubleshoot the update problem

Could you temporarily disable comodo for a quick test?

I had already done that before I posted at the forum  ;) Doesn't help. And if this was to be the problem I don't think avast5 could be able to update via the c/p -> add/remove option

Also do you run some other kind of local proxy? Means can you connect to the net without any special proxy settings? Look up your internet settings in ie, if any proxy is set there. (also Lan) How do you connect to the net? (dialup/cable/(W)Lan/DSL) Do you use a router?

No my ISP doesn't have a proxy and I don't use proxies at all, anyway. No proxy in net settings in IE, no nothing in the Lan tab. I connect with a 24mbps (21 mbps practically) ADSL2+ line through a NETGEAR DGN2000 router..

vordme34

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »
The "Trusted software vendors" part of COMODO seems to be working fine, never got a popup when installing/running avast5..

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »
The "Trusted software vendors" part of COMODO seems to be working fine, never got a popup when installing/running avast5..

Right, that's what i thought right away. This was just to confirm it.
Does the update work if you disable the avast self defence module? Please try that.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

infowars

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »
@Infowars: photobucket.com Reg for free, upload and send the link here

OK thanks but I just tried to sign up and it wanted more info than I give out to the govment.

Besides I put the captcha 9 times corectly and got . .. There was an error with your submission     * Please confirm the captcha code shown in the box. 9 times.

So I totally gave up on that kind suggestion.

Thanks......

vordme34

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 05:15:54 PM »

Right, that's what i thought right away. This was just to confirm it.
Does the update work if you disable the avast self defence module? Please try that.
asyn

Nope, I've tried that also..
Btw if the self defence mod is active, I think I get the usual alert when I update through c/p->add/remove progs.. But from the ui there's no change with the mod enabled or not..

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
Btw if the self defence mod is active, I think I get the usual alert when I update through c/p->add/remove progs.. But from the ui there's no change with the mod enabled or not..

Another try:
Start a manual update. Let it run for about 15-20 minutes.
Surf the web while waiting or do something different.
Post the last 400 lines of the avast setup.log again and also the latest HJT log. Thanks.
asyn

vordme34

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »

Another try:
Start a manual update. Let it run for about 15-20 minutes.
Surf the web while waiting or do something different.
Post the last 400 lines of the avast setup.log again and also the latest HJT log. Thanks.
a

Nothing special.. here are the logs. Avast hasn't writen anything new (entries are many hours ago, maybe yesterday).. surfed and did P2P for almost 45 mins while it was trying to update!

TyrokZero

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2010, 01:17:48 AM »
I was having this problem with updates. Clicking on "Direct Connection (no proxy)" in Settings/Updates/Proxy Settings fixed it for me.

Thanks!

vordme34

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »
I was having this problem with updates. Clicking on "Direct Connection (no proxy)" in Settings/Updates/Proxy Settings fixed it for me.

Thanks!

You really were.. lucky  ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »
Nothing special.. here are the logs. Avast hasn't writen anything new (entries are many hours ago, maybe yesterday).. surfed and did P2P for almost 45 mins while it was trying to update!

In your HJT log, i see spybot is still there, thought you got rid of it..?
Please drop spybot and try again.
asyn

Thierry50

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »
Hello, happy bug killers ;)

Well I'm arriving in the middle of the battle, as i'm looking for an answer to my soucy : no updates.. As I saw this topic, I post here to join you.
My story, in a few words. I wanted to replace my personnal Avira AV, and decided for Avast. Downloaded last sunday, installed, ok, but no update (can't reach update server after a while). So monday, I tried at work (i'm a network admin, I easily access a test machine) on a old computer, with same error message...

Configuration :
- Personnal computer : MoBo Gigabyte, XP SP3, Ashampoo firewall, all windows updates installed and ok. replacing Avira AV.
- job computer (network admin, just a computer for kick tests), Mobo asus P4p800, 1Go, XP SP2, Spybot installed, no other AV

Removed firewall, rebooted, removed spybot, c/p - uninstall - update (success except for virus signatures). safe mode remove, anything checked. No updates... I think I tried any idea read in this topic with no success

Any other ideas ?

Thx in advance,
Thierry

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Configuration :
- Personnal computer : MoBo Gigabyte, XP SP3, Ashampoo firewall, all windows updates installed and ok. replacing Avira AV.
- job computer (network admin, just a computer for kick tests), Mobo asus P4p800, 1Go, XP SP2, Spybot installed, no other AV

Removed firewall, rebooted, removed spybot, c/p - uninstall - update (success except for virus signatures). safe mode remove, anything checked. No updates... I think I tried any idea read in this topic with no success

On which machine did you try to install?
Did you get any error message?
Did you completely remove avira (or other av) before?
asyn

Thierry50

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 03:02:52 PM »
I first tried to install at home, good computer, rather new, fully updated. Removed correctly avira, rebooted then installed avast
Then, the day after, tried at work, test computer but in use.

Not a single error message.

No update (translated from french, "updating 1/3" or 1./2... then "Can't reach server"

Can update via c/p, add-remove (programs updated but no virus signature)

Sure there's something wrong, but can't find what exactly. Checked via FAQ (i've seen encrypted files bug, not applying for me), looked at registry, msconfig, removed firewall without success. No soucy with proxy (no proxy, configured directly, don't look for IE settings)

Thanks for your help

vordme34

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 04:22:02 PM »
@Thierry50: Even more weird.. I can update defs via cp->add/remove, the program version is the final one anyways (as downloaded from the site).. you sure you finally get the message that the server cannot be reached? I don't get any error here, it just hangs at 1/2 or 1/3 without doing nothing at all!
@Asyn: I reinstalled Spybot again, this was not causing the problem, since it persisted when it was removed 2 days ago