Author Topic: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)  (Read 36516 times)

infowars

Re: AVAST 5: Cannot Update Virus Definitions (AGAIN!)
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
Hey ya all,

I did the Avast Support thingy, 2 days ago. With comment on having them L@@K on this Topic in their forum.

I also posted on Comodo forum yesterday with not even a peep form any one!

I uninstalled Avast (sob)  :-\ Washed the Registry and Installed Avira (sob) and was immediately plagued with a larger than life/ NAG Screen Popup wanting me to Upgrade (sob)!  :-X

So . . . . if the developers (Avast / Comodo) pop in and give us a "HELP-ing" hand asap, to solve this problem than I'll be more than totally thrilled to RE-install Avast 5.0.701 (for the 5th and) last time.... (hoorah!)

When Comodo is shut OFF and no Fire Wall is running how could it be any problem stemming from any firewall? So if that be the case where is the ROOT of the cause?

Sorry just thinking out loud?  ???

Later!

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
Hello, sorry for interruption.

<snip>
Configuration :
- Personnal computer : MoBo Gigabyte, XP SP3, Ashampoo firewall, all windows updates installed and ok. replacing Avira AV.
- job computer (network admin, just a computer for kick tests), Mobo asus P4p800, 1Go, XP SP2, Spybot installed, no other AV

Removed firewall, rebooted, removed spybot, c/p - uninstall - update (success except for virus signatures). safe mode remove, anything checked. No updates... I think I tried any idea read in this topic with no success

Before I heard ashampoo firewall has some issues with avast 5 (cannot update even with firewall disabled), so remains of firewall may affect avast's update. When you install stand-alone VPS updater, what message you have?

And indeed I have very similar problem (unable to update VPS, process stopped with "downloading servers.def.vpx"), and strangely I CAN update VPS via my local proxy (Proxomitron). This happened before installing Comodo, so there was no 3rd-party firewall.
Update from C/P doesn't work with "No proxy" settings, and when I abort update manually, log stopped at "HttpGetWinsock(http://download840.avast.com/iavs5x/servers.def.vpx)". Is there some compatibility issue with winsock? ???

For now I can update my vps, but if I can do something to analysis this issue, I'm willing to help.
Here is a screen shot (avast.setup process on Process Explorer):
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

vordme34

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
Seems I've fixed this (@least temporarily).. This is not a real troubleshooter, since I removed all of these in one move:
COMODO firewall
Spybot S&D
Malwarebytes Antimalware

Spywareblaster
SUPERAntispyware

I don't think S&D was the cause of the problem, it was uninstalled previously and nothing happened.. I cannot be sure for any of the others, I will try reinstalling one by one and check if Avast5 is blocked again from updating.. btw Spywareblaster is not a running app, I think it only sets some files in order to protect browsers.. and SUPERantispyware was not active all the time (I was calling it on demand).. dunno though if a service related to it was running all the time (will check previous hjt logs).. Will post asap when I reproduce the bug again. Thanks all!

vordme34

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
PS: I ofcourse uninstalled AVAST5 too! Then I reinstalled it first thing.. Update was working fine again...

Cassy

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2010, 07:47:28 PM »
I uninstalled Avast (sob)  :-\ Washed the Registry and Installed Avira (sob) and was immediately plagued with a larger than life/ NAG Screen Popup wanting me to Upgrade (sob)!  :-X

It is very easy to circumvent that nag screen, and it appears that there's nothing in the license preventing one from doing so, although if you mention it on the Avira forum the Avira representatives there will suddenly start talking about the weather, if not worse.

But considering the amount of sobbing involved in trying to protect your computer, maybe the best solution would be to find a good source where you can purchase tissues wholesale.

Good luck.
C.

vordme34

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
This is absolutely insane.. I reinstalled all of the above progs, one by one, restarting the PC after each one's installation and trying to update the newly installed Avast5.. I even left COMODO as the last of them to be installed.. guess what, Avast5 is still updating fine!!! Auto, man whatever. This is crazy, I had installed v5 the first time (after uninstalling Avast4) a few months ago while all those progs were installed and some of them active during the installation.Avast5 worked fine regarding updating and it suddenly stopped on virus defs of April the 14th. From then, on no update was possible except through control panel.. And after uninstalling these progs AND Avast 5 and then reinstalling the AV again (AND ALL of them on top) the problem seems to be fixed.. I only hope this won't come up again!

infowars

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2010, 08:55:51 PM »
hey vordme34,

We have to much fun, here! HUH?

Sounds Like Comodo and Avast 4 or 5 whatever is not enjoying each other still.

Maybe faster to wipe the drive and install OS over again after every UPDATE of Comodo?

How or where did you find the day of the stopped Updating of Avast?

Biggy Question. . .Can you tell if Comodo did a update on the day that Avast stopped updating?

OR did mr. billy's crew send a update to your computer on that day? Or Avast? WHO did the UPDATE that cause the problem?

SORRY . . . .To many questions.... but I've had to Re-install OS on TWO of billy's UPDATES cause System Restore couldn't roll back to working order.

vordme34

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »
>hey vordme34,
>We have to much fun, here! HUH?

Nope

>Sounds Like Comodo and Avast 4 or 5 whatever is not enjoying each other still.

They are fine now, thank you

>Maybe faster to wipe the drive and install OS over again after every UPDATE of Comodo?

OS reinstall is a pain in the ass. I'd never do it unless Win is practically DEAD. It's a really heavy system here.

>How or where did you find the day of the stopped Updating of Avast?

Huh? I presume the last date that's mentioned at the "Maintenance"->"Update" tab? I didn't say it stopped at that date, but AFTER that date. And assuming Avast updates almost daily it's a good guess don't you think?

>Biggy Question. . .Can you tell if Comodo did a update on the day that Avast stopped updating?

Unable to comply

>OR did mr. billy's crew send a update to your computer on that day? Or Avast? WHO did the UPDATE that cause the problem?
>I also thought of updates (COMODO? AV5? others?) but there's no way to prove this.. I'm no IT pro, just a simple user
>SORRY . . . .To many questions.... but I've had to Re-install OS on TWO of billy's UPDATES cause System Restore couldn't roll back to working order.

There's something that's called "backup", guess you've heard of it??? And maybe of.. Linux?

vordme34

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »
I should also state that the presumed dead Webshield worx fine now again as it should!
@Asyn: Thnx man for all your time! Community fora sometimes are better than commercial support!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »
I should also state that the presumed dead Webshield worx fine now again as it should!
@Asyn: Thnx man for all your time! Community fora sometimes are better than commercial support!

No problem..!! ;) Glad you got it finally fixed again. :D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
@ vordme34

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then  then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your gmail.com email address.

vordme34

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:02 AM »
@YoKenny: Thanx m8, did that..

YoKenny

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2010, 01:59:59 AM »
I'm not a fan of Spybot S&D nor COMODO but you can choose your stuff.

Spybot S&D is good for removal of infections but is not good for realtime prevention like Malwarebytes.

Q8200(at)2.3GHz links to an email address ???
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:05:10 AM by YoKenny »

vordme34

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2010, 06:53:31 AM »
I'm not a fan of Spybot S&D nor COMODO but you can choose your stuff.

Spybot S&D is good for removal of infections but is not good for realtime prevention like Malwarebytes.

Q8200(at)2.3GHz links to an email address ???

Sure, but an invalid one  ;) Anyway fixed that too