Author Topic: How do I automatically delete spam messages. Running Avast Internet Security V 5  (Read 5873 times)

videoarizona

Hello,

I'm tired of looking at all the spam in my delete folder...just want them to automagically delete when detected/received.
How do I do that?

Thanks,

David

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
what mail program  are you using ?

videoarizona

outlook express

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I cant find any settings in avast for that and cant find any spam settings in Outlook express
But if you open tools > alternatives > maintenance
you can tic " empty delete folder when closing "

If you upgrade to Windows Live Mail, it have the choise of deleting spam direct
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:48:55 AM by Pondus »

videoarizona

Appreciate the thought....

I'm just tired of doing that....would like to eliminate the problem.

I did put a request in to Avast to add that to their choices.

Thanks again!

david

doktornotor

Well, I don't use AIS, however... does it tag the subject of the message w/ something like SPAM or whatever? You can use message rules in OE then to delete those.

Tools -> Message rules -> Mail -> Where the subject line contains specific words -> Delete it

videoarizona

I'll try that...thank you!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Tools -> Message rules -> Mail -> Where the subject line contains specific words -> Delete it
not sure but is that not the same as move to delete folder ?

videoarizona

Maybe......I already use rules for mail...so when I get a minute I'll try it.

Probably so....

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
have you checked with your ISP if they have spam/virus filter on the mail server that they can activate for your account ?
Or use one that have like Gmail, very good spam filter. then the spam will never reach your innboks

doktornotor

not sure but is that not the same as move to delete folder ?

Shrug; there's also "Delete it from server" option. What delete does depends on whether it's IMAP or POP3. Also, my suggestion would be to get a decent mailer, this Outlook Express thing is plain dead.

videoarizona

I already have a spam filter on my emails from my web site. problem is...it's already set pretty high.
I get hundreds of spam daily as I've been public with my email and web site for years, literally.

I've toyed with the idea of changing email clients...that's a hard emotional issue as I've been with OE since the beginning.

The simple solution is for Avast to add a catagory in the "What do you want me to do with the spam" area. Labelling it "***spam*** is kind of useless to me...just fills up my delete folder with that...

But thanks again for the ideas...and conversation.

Off to din din with the better half and friends...

David