Author Topic: Avast Freezes My Computer for Hours on Startup  (Read 20039 times)

reelsman

Avast Freezes My Computer for Hours on Startup
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:45:28 AM »
Avast 4.8.1368 Windows XP SP3

For about the last week, now, I've been having problems restarting my computer after any kind of abnormal stop: sudden power interruption, software application hang, operating system hang, etc.  When I restart, anywhere from six to a dozen instances of the ashWebSv.exe process are started almost simultaneously (even though I'm not connected to the internet, since I use a dial-up connection), which, in turn, causes my computer to completely bog down. Most times, the desktop icons and the taskbar fail to show up for a very long time and the mouse pointer is almost impossible to move around. The computer is completely unusable for hours on end until all these processes do whatever they think they're doing and stop.  I cannot manually stop them. I cannot tell them that everything's okay and just cut it out.  I'm at my wits' end.  I've wrestled this until I'm worn out with it.  For the time being, I've used msconfig to disable all the Avast services, so, at least, I can get my computer to start up normally.  I would like to have my virus protection back, but not if the program is going to make my computer unusable.  I would like to upgrade from 4.8 to 5.0, but I'm not going to do it until I know that I've got a handle on this.

I'm just so tired of it and so disappointed with Avast.  Will someone just please make it quit this? Please?

doktornotor

Re: Avast Freezes My Computer for Hours on Startup
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:52:39 AM »
Well, getting corrupted Windows/filesystem after power failure is nothing suprising. Also, if you experience OS/applications hang all the time, you might have faulty RAM, faulty HDD etc. You should fix your OS first before trying to blame Avast for your broken box.

reelsman

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:11:04 AM »
Since the computer is working perfectly well without Avast running, I think I'm pretty clear that the problem is with the Avast software.  Of course, I've done a thorough chkdsk scan and a boot scan with Avast, but no problems with Windows or malware show up. So, yes, despite the desperate attempts of some to deny it, my problem with this, and the similar posts my others over recent days, make it clear that there really is a serious software problem with Avast that has cropped up in the last week or so. Denial won't fix it, that's for sure.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 02:29:32 AM »
Since the computer is working perfectly well without Avast running,

Ok, let's get some facts straight: it THIS what you call "working perfectly well"?

Quote from: reelsman
sudden power interruption, software application hang, operating system hang, etc.

Well, then this discussion won't be particularly productive I'm afraid... Bunch of suggestions:

1/ Run chkdsk /F /V /R
2/ Run memtest
3/ Run a S.M.A.R.T. check on your HDD
4/ Check your CPU temperature
5/ Get yourself an UPS if you have power failures often

In short - your Windows is messed up, no point in fiddling with antivirus until you get a sane state of the OS without random freezes etc.

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »
If you have had power failures and crashing the hard drive! several times will obviously cause hard disk to form bad sectors. Remove avast with its removal tool and run chkdsk /f.
You may need XP CD Rom disk to do a windows xp repair as sys files will be more than likley damaged.

reelsman

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
Denial won't fix the problem, that's for sure.

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »
Denial won't fix the problem, that's for sure.

Yeah, it certainly won't fix your "perfectly well" crashing computer...  :D Seriously, if you decided to completely ignore any advice given to you then there's no point in asking for help in the first place, you already know that there's nothing wrong with anything but Avast after all, it seems - despite the crashes, freezes and power failures.

2nd base

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
I think Avast!'s latest update has given itself a bit of rank in my running processes since the computer refuses to restart now. It just sits there and hangs until i physically have to hold in the power button. If I remove the orange agitator the problem goes away but as soon as I let it back into my world it starts all over again. Avast! sure ain't what it used to be, that's fer sure.....................

LA_KUH

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 01:45:41 AM »
The other day I restarted my computer and tried to use it, but it was completely locked up. I had to do a hard resart, and it locked up again during Windows startup. This happened everytime, and wouldn't sort it self out no matter how long I left it. I'd switch on in the evening, leave it overnight, go to work, go to a friend's house, and eventually come home and check it over 24 hours since I turned it on and it was still stuck.

I started thinking about what could be wrong and realised the only thing I'd changed for weeks was updating Avast. That was the reason I'd restarted in the first place. The only AV software previous to Avast 5 was Avast 4.

Eventually I had to start in Safe Mode, and uninstalled Avast from there. Restarted and absolutely no problems at all. Bye-bye Avast, hello ClamWin. A serious shame, as Avast has been excellent these last few years, but this is a major issue, evident across the internet, and until it's sorted it's useless.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 03:10:34 AM »
LA_KUH, which was your old antivirus, before avast?
Any other security program that could interfere? Firewall?
The best things in life are free.

LA_KUH

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »
One of the first things I did when I got this computer new was download Avast and it's been the only AV software I've used. I also use ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall, but from what I've read, they shouldn't cause any conflict.

DMC346

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »
Wow, I really love the fact that I had to read pretty far down into the forum to get an actual response.  The majority of you have been entirely useless in fixing this problem and in doing so have defeated the purpose of a forum.  If you don't know the answer to the question then don't answer it with stupid statements like "Avast! r teh gratest progrum evar! U uh idiot for thynking diffarently".  Every once in a while there are updates to programs that ignore older operating systems like Windows XP.  This is clearly one of those cases.  I just downloaded avast yesterday and my computer locked up when I went to start up again.  I followed what LA_KUH said to do and now my computer's working again.  Avast! had a bad update that doesn't work with XP.  The solution is uninstalling the program.  There, end of story.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:08:15 PM »
Blaming the last installed software for your problems is too simple. You forget the possibility that some other already installed software is conflicting with Avast!. And if the problem is with the other software it can't be fixed by Avast!

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:14:04 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »
Further posting to an outdated thread doesn't make any sense.
If you need support, please start a new thread...! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DMC346

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 09:49:43 AM »
Rednose it seems to be just "that simple". LA_KUL said that he updated Avast! and all of the sudden this problem occurred. Right now it seems that the updated version is the problem because of the fact that both of our computers worked after uninstalling. That's not to say that there are other possibilities but as of right now the only similarity I can see between my case, LA_KUL's, and reelsman is in the OS.

I'm getting a bit off topic though. I posted on this thread because I was annoyed that most people that posted here weren't giving out any proper advice. This could've ended in two posts if someone had just said uninstall Avast! in safe mode and see if that works.  Instead people were completely appalled by the fact that anyone would say Avast! doesn't work and just making stupid arguments. If someone had suggested uninstalling it and it still didn't work then we would know that it wasn't Avast! and could work from there. A forums purpose is to inform people and discuss possible solutions. It just seems that most people that post here have forgotten that.