Author Topic: Avast Freezes My Computer for Hours on Startup  (Read 20041 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Freezes My Computer for Hours on Startup
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
DMC346,

Perhaps I can help address your issues as you seem quite frustrated now.  When we offer to help others, we often need to obtain information from the user in order to help them, such as the OS, existing security software (in some cases can conflict with previous or current AV or FW), what version of Avast the user installed, was Avast an upgrade or a clean install, has the user checked for malware, are they current with the OS updates (e.g. Win Updates) and Avast definitions, etc.

The user 99% of the time does not offer this information and we need to ask this to obtain the info. needed in order to address their issue.  Sometimes the user may not be forthcoming with the information needed and several posts may be required.  However after we know what the issue is, we suggest what is needed to be done to resolve their problem.

At this point, some users ignore our suggestion or only take part of the suggestion or never follow up.  Many times another user will hijack the thread (post inappropriately with their problem instead of creating a new thread with their issue), which only creates confusion for both the users/posters and the people trying to help you...which is what is happening here in this thread.  

To give you some background information, v.5.0.594 is a very stable build.  So if it is installed and something is not working correctly, especially when we ask the above questions, then something is wrong.  

Since I am addressing this to you, your suggestion in your last post should have enlightened you as to the way we think when trying to address people's problems (re-read my 1st paragraph).  You cannot assume that the problem is the version of Avast when you or the people trying to help out have not been given the chance to ask the appropriate questions.  Also, please keep in mind that not all people here (both users and people helping out) are not native English-speaking and we do our best in writing in English.

Should you have any further questions, I'd be more than happy to help you.  Thank you.

Edited: typo
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:34:07 PM by SafeSurf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
I don't know if it was already suggested, but you can try Soluto (http://soluto.com/) to troubleshoot long boot times.
The best things in life are free.

Teddie

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
The other day I restarted my computer and tried to use it, but it was completely locked up. I had to do a hard resart, and it locked up again during Windows startup. This happened everytime, and wouldn't sort it self out no matter how long I left it. I'd switch on in the evening, leave it overnight, go to work, go to a friend's house, and eventually come home and check it over 24 hours since I turned it on and it was still stuck.

I started thinking about what could be wrong and realised the only thing I'd changed for weeks was updating Avast. That was the reason I'd restarted in the first place. The only AV software previous to Avast 5 was Avast 4.

Eventually I had to start in Safe Mode, and uninstalled Avast from there. Restarted and absolutely no problems at all. Bye-bye Avast, hello ClamWin. A serious shame, as Avast has been excellent these last few years, but this is a major issue, evident across the internet, and until it's sorted it's useless.

+2

Identical problems since two days ago on my Windows XP x86 system. Avast auto-updated to v5. Rebooted, would load through to the desktop then hang indefinately forcing a hardware reset, would load through to the Desktop again then hang, ad infinitum. Had to boot into Safe Mode to uninstall Avast and everything was back to normal.

Cleaned the avast directories using the clean exe. Re-installed Avast 5, worked fine... until I rebooted, loaded though to the desktop then hung again, every time.

Uninstalled Avast in safe mode, and then installed AVG in its place, which isn't ideal as I much prefer Avast.

On my other new system, Windows Vista x64, I have problem with another Avast v5 installation that interferes with all browsers on the system. Everything works well at first but after ten or twenty minutes of using a browser (indeed any browser) the browser seemingly times out and no longer loads any websites. New instances of the browser wont work, neither will opening other name/brand browsers. However the background internet remains fine, I can still update Windows, or other definition files for other programs etc. in the background. The inability to load websites occurs and is applicable to all browsers - IE8 and the latest version of Firefox, neither browser is able to access websites after that initial random ten or twenty minute time has elapsed, but all other internet applications are seemingly fine.

Disabling Avast temporarily for 10 minutes allowed the browsers to work again. However trying to re-activate Avast Realtime Shield again never works, it stays disabled, no matter how many times I try to manually re-activate it or press the main "Fix Issues" (or similar) button on Avast. It only re-enables itself after a reboot. Then the whole cycle runs again - I can use the browser for 10 or 20 minutes again before they flunk.

Again I've had to uninstall Avast from my Vista x64 system too, and install AVG in its place, sadly.

I have ZoneAlarm Free installed on both systems. Disabling ZoneAlarm has no impact on either problem. I have no other security programs, firewalls, anti-malware or other similar applications. The problems are specifically with Avast. Both Windows operating systems are clean and fully updated.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks, Ted.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:57:04 PM by Teddie »

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05:17 AM »
Hi Teddie,

First let me ask you if you followed this procedure for the uninstall/CLEAN install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot twice.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.

Second, is sounds like something other than Avast is going on, so I need to ask other questions:

1. You mentioned that you put avg on your machines now.  If you had it on there in the past, did you go to their site for their removal tool to remove ALL remnants which will create conflicts with Avast?  If you had a prior version of Avast (like 4.0), when you did your upgrade and new install, did you also remove the prior version with the Uninstall Utility Tool in Safe Mode?

2. I suggest in addition to using your AV for malware scanning that you also have a layered approach to defense and install an on-demand scanner like MBAM to check to see if malware is the cause of your problem.

Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply if anything positive comes up.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

date=1273794341]
I have ZoneAlarm Free installed on both systems.
Are you referring to the ZA FW or ZA IS with AV?  Keep in mind that disabling ZA is not the same as uninstalling it, or any software for that matter.  We will await your reply.  Thank you.

hech54

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
Hi Teddie,

First let me ask you if you followed this procedure for the uninstall/CLEAN install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot twice.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.

Does all of this happen automatically when I allow Avast to update itself from version 4 to version 5?
I'm going to need to uninstall and reinstall V5 later today(downloading V5 as I type - already downloaded
the uninstall tool) because I too am having terribly slow boot times and an Outlook Express issue that was
NOT present before I allowed Avast to update itself.
I love Avast and WILL NOT switch to any other AV software...but the knee-jerk IT MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE
attitude happens WAY too often. You may happen to be talking to someone who has CCleaner, MalWareBytes,
SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo Firewall etc etc etc(someone like ME who is not a complete idiot about running a clean computer).

Thank You....vent over.
:)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
For the time being, I've used msconfig to disable all the Avast services, so, at least, I can get my computer to start up normally.  I would like to have my virus protection back, but not if the program is going to make my computer unusable.  I would like to upgrade from 4.8 to 5.0, but I'm not going to do it until I know that I've got a handle on this.

@ reelsman - really this situation is right out of hand. You should now upgrade yr 4.8 to 5. I'm not going to say you've got nothing to lose, but there is that as well. I do think you need to do an upgrade that intent is to fit the new version avast nicely into yr system, so maybe need do custom and pay special attention - (say for uninstall of v4, remove any remaining regstry entries, cept maybe leave legacy keys, oh gawd).

But honestly, I find the built in uninstall 4 restart install 5 an absolute cinch so far, clean, well-rounded performance from avast. Okay I havent made any mistakes yet and my desktops are usually good run.

And, I think also that the use of Safe Mode is a good option if you want to anticipate problems. And come out of that into Normal Mode with v5 installed and a boot-time scan scheduled. This should set the new version nicely into yr desktop environment. If not, then you almost certainly you have a conflict between avast and some other (third party)  program performance.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:30:54 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
@ hech54,

1. What is your OS? 
2. What security software do you have on your system?  Sometimes other security software can conflict with Avast, as we have learned from other users.
3. Did you reboot your system after doing the upgrade?
4. Have you done a malware scan since the upgrade?

If you are still having problems after doing the upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0.594, then I suggest doing an uninstall/clean install as you see in my prior post in purple.

I'm happy to hear you are using a layered defense to keep a clean machine.  ;)

TranceAddict

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »
Omg i'm having the same problem with avast 5, avast 4.8 works normally, but avast 5 freezes the system on startup, and also i've noticed that HDD indicator is instantly flashing during freezes...
I also have outpost firewall installed on my system, but i've installed it only yesterday, and the problem appeared before installing outpost firewall. If I delete avast 5 in safe mode, the system works normally.
Here are my system specifications:
System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Version: 6.1.7600 (Win7 RTM)
Processor: Intel core2duo E8400 3.6Ghz
Memory: Hynix 2x2GB Ram
Hdd: WD 360 GB + WD 500 GB
Graphics card: Power Color ATI HD 4890
Also i've run hijackthis. I attach the log-txt-file in this message.
Please help me. ???
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:11:30 PM by TranceAddict »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »
I think Avast!'s latest update has given itself a bit of rank in my running processes since the computer refuses to restart now. It just sits there and hangs until i physically have to hold in the power button. If I remove the orange agitator the problem goes away but as soon as I let it back into my world it starts all over again. Avast! sure ain't what it used to be, that's fer sure.....................

Hi 2nd base
you need to provide us with more information so we can understand why this has happened.
For example, what is yr operating system, how much ram do you have, hardware specifications, and so on
Quite conceivable that due to update, avast now has conflict with some other third party
Especially so, if there are remnants of previous AV, or running gear is older, or different, or uncommon

but not usual with definitions updates. What do you see in Event viewer when the system hangs?

Start -> right-click (My) Computer -> choose Manage
once in Computer management, select Event Viewer and scroll through System and maybe Application
Look for alerts and warnings

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »
Hi TranceAddict

do you think you could download Malwarebytes (mbam) and run it, see what turns up

and please attach the log to yr reply post like you have with the HijackThis log

if the Outpost firewall is the free version, then use the Learn Mode (I think it's called)

TranceAddict

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »
Hi TranceAddict

do you think you could download Malwarebytes (mbam) and run it, see what turns up

and please attach the log to yr reply post like you have with the HijackThis log

if the Outpost firewall is the free version, then use the Learn Mode (I think it's called)

I've done all that you have adviced, i've found only 1 trojan malware file on my PC. But I think I've solved the problem with avast, just by running disk checker tool! It has found some corrupted clusters on my system volume (C:/). After rebooting PC boots normally!! Thanks for the help, i'll be checking the system for stability, if i encounter any problems i'll contact you in this topic...
P.S. I'm using OutPost Firewall just as a "Firewall" for my system, i dont use other defences it offers, because i think that avast can manage this :)
P.P.S. I'm ataching the mbam log, but it's in russian...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:01:27 PM by TranceAddict »

hech54

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
@ hech54,

1. What is your OS? 
2. What security software do you have on your system?  Sometimes other security software can conflict with Avast, as we have learned from other users.

If you are still having problems after doing the upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0.594, then I suggest doing an uninstall/clean install as you see in my prior post in purple.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall manually. Obviously something happened with my automatic update/upgrade.
I have XP Pro SP3, CCleaner, MalWareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo Firewall and Spybot w/TeaTimer(I may get rid of that right now too).

hech54

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »
@ hech54,

1. What is your OS? 

Uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled Avast and the Outlook Express issue is resolved. Now to reboot.

SafeSurf

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 10:05:03 AM »
...Spybot w/TeaTimer (I may get rid of that right now too).
So far you are doing good.  If you still have problems after rebooting, then I suggest uninstalling Spybot w/TT as some here have reported conflicts.  Keep us posted.

GaskOne

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
Helloooo.... :D
Am new around here :D
Just so u know, avast do freezes some computers whit xp os instaled on it (sp2,sp3) and on some it works more then fine.
I cant figure it out O.o
Am working in comp service and am fixing computers all day long. I install over 10 o.s. daily (usually xp) and in 1 of them it wont work.
It happens on all marks of computers.
Installation of free version runs good but after it freeze on first start up or even in some cases i get blue white letters screen just after boot time.
Only way that i can think of is using safe mode to uninstall it and after that all comes back to normal.

My question is:
Why is this happening and what can i do to make it work?