Author Topic: avast mail service STOPPED!,cannot START up buttons non-responsive?.  (Read 7638 times)

Southern Man

Today at about 8.00pm europe time after booting up the avast mail shield IS disabled?,no matter what i do no butons work e.g START service is STOPPED,before 8 pm no such problems?,maybe a quirky update causing it?,any help appreciated?,long term user of AVAST!.

SOUTHERN MAN

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast mail service STOPPED!,cannot START up buttons non-responsive?.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
Have you rebooted ?

If that didn't resolve it:
Have you tried a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Southern Man

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
Have you rebooted ?

If that didn't resolve it:
Have you tried a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow ?

Yes tried re-boot the same,but i did shut down outpost firewall temporarily 5 mins ,the avast shied i then managed to start no problem!,i looked in application rules and avast is enabled,so looks like it could be the firewall,i'll try a repair but i think its something within the firewall program,thanks for the reply back,will let you know.
I don't reckon its avast because i have good faith in the program!

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:14 PM »
Well the firewall might well block the sending/receipt of emails, but that shouldn't have anything to do with actually stopping the Mail Shield process/service.

I use Outpost Firewall Pro and no such problem with the Mail Shield starting.

What version of avast are you using ?
What version of Outpost Firewall are you using ?

Take a minute and create a signature in your Profile, along the lines of mine, so in the future we have an idea of your system and not have to ask questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »
@ Southern Man

Why not do like DavidR an avast! Überevangelist and go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Southern Man

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »
ok wi
@ Southern Man

Why not do like DavidR an avast! Überevangelist and go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.
ok

Southern Man

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
Well the firewall might well block the sending/receipt of emails, but that shouldn't have anything to do with actually stopping the Mail Shield process/service.

I use Outpost Firewall Pro and no such problem with the Mail Shield starting.

What version of avast are you using ?
What version of Outpost Firewall are you using ?

Take a minute and create a signature in your Profile, along the lines of mine, so in the future we have an idea of your system and not have to ask questions.

ok will edit my profile!,as i am here now i have found the solution it WAS OUTPOST causing the mail shield in avast to not work,i uninstalled outpost and installed private firewall and staright away all shields on avast are working ok.Seems odd though as avast workrd fine before with outpost its only when i uninstalled outpost free and tried out online armour (and found it slowed the pc down) that i re-install outpost free and then had the problem,i did unistall properly the firewalls and install as recommended to do.
I am using AVAST 5.0.507 and OUTPOST FREE FIREWALL 6.5.1.2725.381

cheers

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:46:31 PM »
Given your earlier comment "i did shut down outpost firewall temporarily" and now your last post, "I am using AVAST 5.0.507 and OUTPOST FREE FIREWALL 6.5.1.2725.381." That is at ods with your signature that says you are using Private Firewall.

The main thing is that the Mail Shield is now working.

Southern Man

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:19:47 PM »
Given your earlier comment "i did shut down outpost firewall temporarily" and now your last post, "I am using AVAST 5.0.507 and OUTPOST FREE FIREWALL 6.5.1.2725.381." That is at ods with your signature that says you are using Private Firewall.

The main thing is that the Mail Shield is now working.

Yes sorry maybe a bit confusing,i WAS using outpost free)all avast shields working ok),unininstalled it,installed online armour free(avast all shields worked fine),uninstalled online armour free because of slow browsing!,installed private firewall then updated my profile as you asked of me.
Glad its friday now AVAST all works i can have a beer or 12!!
Thanks again for your advice davidR in the first instances.

Southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
You're welcome.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »
Please read about IOBitSecurity360:
IOBit Theft Conclusion
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »
Please read about IOBitSecurity360:
IOBit Theft Conclusion
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217
+10
Never a Iobit product in my computer again...
The best things in life are free.