Author Topic: will system restore + avast 5 conflict ever be solved ???  (Read 14157 times)

Hermite15

will system restore + avast 5 conflict ever be solved ???
« on: April 24, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
I wanted to give a shot to keyscrambler >>> system wouldn't boot anymore after the install, not even in safe mode, so I tried "last known good". This worked. Then I attempted to uninstall keyscrambler >>> uninstall failure. So far nothing to do with Avast. So I launched a system restore, in safe mode, rebooted once again in safe mode >>> system restore was successful. Rebooted in normal mode >>> dark screen and empty task bar in Windows >>> I knew it was Avast somehow >>> rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled AIS from there, rebooted in normal mode >>> no problem. I admit I didn't deactivate the self-defense module before launching the restore (in other conditions it wouldn't even have been possible), BUT AVAST 5 SHOULDN'T PREVENT SYSTEM RESTORE IN WINDOWS FROM WORKING PROPERLY ANYWAY >>> it's been like that for a while, and it's still not solved.

buttoni

Re: will system restore + avast 5 conflict ever be solved ???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:41:58 PM »
I sure hope this problem gets resolved for Avast5 AV and Win7 x64.  I had to uninstall Avast5 and use another AV until this is resolved.  Just not willing to live without System Restore.  And I miss my Avast! 

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »
yep, it still doesn't work well...

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:05:54 AM »
It is a problem....makes a rookie user like me extremely hesitant to download new things....which sort of defeats the purpose of an AV, supposed to make me feel less hesitant, not more.

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:34:42 AM »
Just a thought but maybe the problem lies with the persistent cache. Wherever that info is stored, maybe it can't be changed properly during a restore. I say this because the file that keeps similar information for the Comodo AV, a file called sfi.dat, also prevents many people (especially those on XP) from doing successful system restores. Of course it could also be a problem with DB updates since a restore will attempt to set the files back to an earlier version.

JerryM

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:17:49 PM »
Hey, that is scary. I had no idea that was a problem. I hate to be without Restore, and maybe should change AVs. Is there any work to correct this?

Can I assume that System Restore does not work, or is there an easy way for an average user to check it without messing up anything?

Thanks,
Jerry
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:20:19 PM by JerryM »

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
Hey, that is scary. I had no idea that was a problem. I hate to be without Restore, and maybe should change AVs. Is there any work to correct this?

Can I assume that System Restore does not work, or is there an easy way for an average user to check it without messing up anything?

Thanks,
Jerry

it will work if you don't forget to disable the Avast self-defense module before launching the restore process

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »
<snip>

Me I hate System Restore, not I hate to be without it. System Restore is far from perfect (given this additional hassle) and other failings, I prefer to have it totally disabled and use something else to replace system restore, like hard disk imaging software.

That however, doesn't resolve why system restore doesn't work (for those using it) as it should if the avast self-defence module is enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JerryM

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »
[ It will work if you don't forget to disable the Avast self-defense module before launching the restore process]

That helps, so I assume that Resore is working, but the Avast SD module causes it to be disabled when the restore is launched.

Since I don't know how to do imaging I rely on System Restore. I must admit that I have never used it, but who knows what may happen today??

I was about to ditch Avast Pro, and go to Avira or KIS. I do hope the problem is resolved in case restore is needed and one might forget to disable the Avast SD module. Avast has been about the most trouble free AV I have used, and I don't want to change.

Evidently other AVs do not have this problem, so why cannot it be fixed in Avast?

Regards,
Jerry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
No the avast self-defence module doesn't cause SR to be disabled, but presumably stops SR doing anything with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
another "disaster" with Avast 5 + system restore

forget what I said about just disabling the self-defense module and be good to go for a system restoration. I attempted that earlier today, and for the second time (yeah that happened already a few days ago and I didn't post about it), sys restore fails because some files failed to get extracted from the restore point archive, mainly files belonging to my user profile in Windows.
 I then uninstalled Avast 5.0.545 completely, attempted a sys restore operation again, and guess what, it worked ??? :)

ps: oh I forgot, there's been a third failure with the message that an "anti-virus" was preventing sys restore from working properly. Too bad I don't have a screen shot of that ::)

cvsa

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
could the problem come from CIS that you also use (as i saw in another thread) ?

because the restoration doesn't work with cis either.....

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
could the problem come from CIS that you also use (as i saw in another thread) ?

because the restoration doesn't work with cis either.....

no, I haven't used it for a while.

JerryM

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »
To be safe then if SR was needed it would be necessary to remove Avast first to be sure all would work. I wonder if there could be a problem where Avast could not be uninstalled so that SR could be used?

I wonder if all AVs with a Self Defense component suffer the same problem?

Thanks,
Jerry

JerryM

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »
If you do the restore in Safe mode will it work OK without removing Avast?

Regards,
Jerry