Author Topic: Router not broadcasting as far?  (Read 3811 times)

Husk

Router not broadcasting as far?
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:33:08 AM »
Hello once again guys  ;)

DC = Disconnect

I'm having trouble with my internet connection. A wierd one -.-

--> Ok, basically the router is at the front of the house and my laptop is at the back of the house. I had a perfect connection where ever I went. Say a 4/5 Bar connection wherever.<---

NOW....

I'll use the game I play for example (Not the games fault, videos stop loading to) I'm on my bed which is the longest distance from router (It used to work fine) But now I get 1-2 Bars when I'm here and my game disconnects every 4-5 seconds which makes it unplayable... But the wierd part is, when I move it from the start of the bed, to the middle (closer to router) I don't disconnect as much, then at the end of the bed - 3 Bars...

I then move the laptop onto a desk at the end of my bed (closer to router than bed), I get 4 bars. But it's very touchy - If i rotate the laptop 90 degrees... I lose 1 bar of connection and sometimes disconnect.

I have completely rearranged my room so that I get a full 4 bars (I did like laying on the bed though, But i'll dc if I do)

What would the cause of this be? And how can it be rectified?

This started happening about 1-2 weeks ago, I thought it was the game at first after a big update was released. I however noticed that no one else had it and videos stopped loading to meaning it was my connection at fault.

The router is in the same place and has never moved. Was kind of hard to explain this so it may be confusing   :)

Hermite15

Re: Router not broadcasting as far?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:38:18 AM »
1st: the bar number isn't accurate, it's changing all the time, depending on your environment (= other people running wi-fi connections in your area)
2d a wi-fi connection isn't a mobile phone, it doesn't change so easily (like losing the signal or getting a weaker signal when moving the connected device a little bit)
3rd: change your channel in your router, you might get better results
4 stop wasting your time moving the furnitures in your room ;D

Husk

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:38 AM »
1st: the bar number isn't accurate, it's changing all the time, depending on your environment (= other people running wi-fi connections in your area)

Yeh, but on average - there was always 4 bars, and now it keeps dropping to one - I Did find a floor in my plan though, When i sit in front of the laptop I lose more connection =(

2d a wi-fi connection isn't a mobile phone, it doesn't change so easily (like losing the signal or getting a weaker signal when moving the connected device a little bit)

But it is losing connection =(

3rd: change your channel in your router, you might get better results

I could try that, Not a clue how to do it though

4 stop wasting your time moving the furnitures in your room ;D

I kinda like the new touch  :)

Well, even if I ingore the bars thing. I still notice a terrible connection and the other laptop can't even connect when in my room. I used to use that one while mine was getting fixed. So there is defintely a problem
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:57:41 AM by Husk »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:13:08 AM »
is your neighbours close ?
do they have wifi ?
are they using the same cannel as you ?
you can find out with this program " NetStumbler "
then you can see all wifi net around you and what cannels they are using, and switch to one not used

http://www.google.no/#hl=no&q=netstumbler&meta=&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=netstum&gs_rfai=&fp=81cc95d9566e1628
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:16:36 AM by Pondus »

Husk

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:28:16 AM »
Downloaded it.

But in the status bar it says no wireless adapter found

is your neighbours close ? Yes
do they have wifi ? Probably, Don't know them
are they using the same cannel as you ? Don't know

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »
Hi Husk,

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/other/top-5-tech-tips

Number 1 (about 2 mins 15 secs) is to use tin foil to direct the broadcast of wifi in a specific direction. It may help :)

-Scott-

Husk

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
I actually tried that quite a while ago actually. To my surprise - It worked! For a few minutes at least, Then it didn't =(

But I didn't like them around the house and mum didn't either.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »
Well, it was an idea at least...

But I didn't like them around the house and mum didn't either.
Yeah there's that too... :)

Another thing, I used to have a metal bed in my room and I found that that stopped wifi connections much to my annoyance...might be similar for you...