Author Topic: iTunes Home Sharing  (Read 10650 times)

msbrenie

iTunes Home Sharing
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:05 AM »
Newbie here, My husbands computer guru that works for the company he works for was cleaning up my computer and installed a trial version of the avast antivirus software and it was about to expire so I purchased the avast antivirus software version 5.0.418. I don't really know anything about this software other than what this computer guru told my husband this is one of the best antivirus software. Anyway I will get to my problem. Since I installed the upgraded software I am not able to use the iTunes home sharing. Any suggestions  ???
Thank You for your help.
msb

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: iTunes Home Sharing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:30:14 AM »
Why can't you use it, e.g. what errors are displayed ?
avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection and presumably this isn't happening or you would have said.

If there appears to be blocking it is possible it could be conflict, possibly from another security application.
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

msbrenie

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »
I had webroot spy sweeper, which was deleted in January through install/uninstall programs. I am not getting any errors. I just know that I was able to use the iTunes home sharing with the trial version. My husband can access my iTunes music but I am not able to access his when the home sharing is on. I didn't uninstall the trial version of avast I just clicked on the upgrade now button. This is the only antivirus software or security application that is on my computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:36:30 AM »
I have heard of some spy sweeper issues, conflict early in the windows boot process, but nothing you are describing.

Check out this link and see if there is any uninstall utility/process to ensure all remnants of spy sweeper are gone. Check http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/ and http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/.

I don't use iTunes so I can't be a lot of practical help, though if your husband also have avast and can access your itunes music I would have though it would work in the other direction.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

msbrenie

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:18:13 AM »
we haven't installed avast on his computer yet, he still has webroot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:02:48 AM »
I'm sorry I am at a loss as to what else to try as I have zero experience of itunes and how the itunes home network works.

It is somewhat strange that it has only happened since installing the upgrade, presumably it was working OK with the trial version. Was that trial avast 4.8 or avast 5.0 ?

It may be best to try a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast 5.0 pro (if you haven't save the one you downloaded) and save it to your hard disk where you can find it again. - [url]http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro_eng.exe]http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro_eng.exe]- [url]http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro_eng.exe.[/url]

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here ensure you get the version5 one (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0), aswClear5.exe and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Give that a try and see how you get on, that's me for the night/morning 4am here.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:49:05 AM »
iTunes Home Sharing uses TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353 to communicate with other copies of iTunes.  Make sure these ports are not blocked.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
Thanks, Mac, though if it is just avast 5.0 Pro (and not the avast Internet Security suite) antivirus that msbrenie has there is no firewall so those ports shouldn't be getting blocked.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
Are we sure it's just avast pro and not the suite?  I can't tell from what she said.

Anyway msbrenie, what operating system are you running?  Is the Windows Firewall running?

If it is avast causing issues, David's suggestion of completely removing and re-installing should work.  Maybe even a repair might do it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:12:52 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
Well the only thing that I can base my comment on is from the first post "so I purchased the avast antivirus software version 5.0.418."

This I have taken literally as having the antivirus and not the internet security suite, however, exact confirmation on what version msbrenie has would be helpful.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 02:36:33 AM »
Well the only thing that I can base my comment on is from the first post "so I purchased the avast antivirus software version 5.0.418."

This I have taken literally as having the antivirus and not the internet security suite, however, exact confirmation on what version msbrenie has would be helpful.

Indeed it sounds like they have the suite and the firewall is blocking those ports.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

RBKix

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »

Using avast! 4 Professional on Windows7 64-bit machine.

Beginning immediately after installing avast!, I can verify that the iTunes homesharing would not work on this machine unless the real-time shields are turned off.  It will connect for about fifteen seconds, and then cease to stream without any error messages.
If I close iTunes and then turn off the shields, the sharing works fine after re-opening iTunes. 
Wish I could say which of the shields is the culprit, but haven't been able to determine...

BTW, when I select a time period for reactivating the shields, I have never found them to turn themselves back on.  I have had to do it manually.

Any solution to either of these issues would be appreciated. I am holding off purchasing avast! for more computers in hopes that I can receive solutions to these issues.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 05:09:44 AM »
We need to isolate which shield is doing this. Try disabling just the network shield and see if Home Sharing works

RBKix

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 03:45:22 AM »
My apologies for not seeing/replying to the last post.
Have not attempted iTunes homeshare since my post.  When I tried it today, it is working flawlessly.
Something appears to have changed, either from Apple, Avast, or my network.
For whatever reason, this removes my only hesitation about adopting the avast program for my other PC's.

CharleyO

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »

Welcome to the forums, msbrenie   :)

Has any of the above information helped you or do you need farther help? Please let us know.

Welcome to the forums, RBKix   :)

We are happy that your problem has been resolved.

Please come back often and learn more.