Author Topic: I received a virus mail sent from my own computer  (Read 5168 times)

sunnyyen

I received a virus mail sent from my own computer
« on: July 13, 2004, 07:55:41 AM »
Before I download messages, I always first check the full letter head. From the letter head, I can tell the following email was sent automatically from my own computer:

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message INFECTED:
\creditcard.exe (Win32:Netsky-C [Wrm]) was deleted from the message.

I'm using Avast Home Edition, Standard Shield, P2P, Internet Mail all running, all set to High, and scan at least once a day. No damage to my own system is found yet, but I'm afraid my contacts may receive viruses from me.

neal62

Re:I received a virus mail sent from my own computer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 08:16:16 AM »
One way to keep your pc from spreading any infections to your friends etc. Don't keep any e-mail addresses in your e-mail program "address book". Leave that blank, keep your addresses in a notebook and keep that near your pc station. I know this sounds outdated but you can't infect a spiral notebook. If its located at your station it might be just as fast looking up an address out of it with less problems. :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 09:50:49 AM »
I don't understand the problem exactly... today, the viruses fake the "From" address, so it's rather hard to say where they really come from.

Are you saying that you found somewhere (where?) an "infected" e-mail, apparently from you (how do you know?) with a virus attachment actually removed by avast? Can you rephrase, please?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »
It is highly unlikely that you received an infected email from your own computer.

1. Avast would have given a warning on the outbound email.

2. Your email address is simply in the address book or file on someones computer that is infected.

3. Email that is sent from infecetd computers usually has the from address forged, this is usually an address found in the addressbook.

Doing this often bypasses some spam/av programs as your email address is in your white/safe list. I have removed my email address from white lists to ensure that it too is checked. This is more a spam issue as avast doesn't care who sent the email it checks it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 08:59:13 PM »
Doing this often bypasses some spam/av programs as your email address is in your white/safe list. I have removed my email address from white lists to ensure that it too is checked. This is more a spam issue as avast doesn't care who sent the email it checks it.

I think it's safer do not include yourself into the 'friends' list of emails. You won't be so 'selfish' to send emails to yourself  ;D, as David said, a spam killer will do the job. I have already receive false emails from myself and Spamihilator block them (one of them had a virus and the others just junk, spam  :().
The best things in life are free.

sunnyyen

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 04:49:32 AM »
As I said, I analyzed the letter head, especially the route of the mail transfer, and the original sender was from my company's mail server, with the sender as myself. That's why I'm afraid that my computer may spreading viruses without my awareness although I cannot find any virus with Avast's thorough scan.

shgoh

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 12:54:04 PM »
don't worry sunnyyen...like what igor said...virus these days 'fake' the "From" address...i received a number of such emails too :)

Offline colincr

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 11:40:40 PM »
keep your addresses in a notebook and keep that near your pc station.

Another way of doing it is maybe to keep your addresses in a txt document on the hard drive and check that for e-mail addresses etc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 03:05:13 AM »
Another way, just use a spam killer and block emails from yourself and, the majority of the time, be happy using an address book without so many copy & paste... Sometimes, time is more than security. Sometimes, block the inconvenience and use the technology with happiness!  ;)
The best things in life are free.