Author Topic: Error 267 Directory Name is Invalid  (Read 33848 times)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Error 267 Directory Name is Invalid
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »
Was the xcopy correct?
Yes, it should copy only directories (incl. NTFS streams).
So when you type: "streams.exe c:\Windows2" you should get NTFS streams on "Windows2" folder, is that correct?

mdubin

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 02:47:57 AM »
Was the xcopy correct?
Yes, it should copy only directories (incl. NTFS streams).
So when you type: "streams.exe c:\Windows2" you should get NTFS streams on "Windows2" folder, is that correct?

No. I got C:\WINDOWS2:2B2696B30AD92EF4:$DATA      96
just like before with c:\windows.

Yet when I did the Folders scan on c:\windows2, I did not get the Error 267.

mdubin

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
superhacker:

Sorry but I do not understand what these logs are or where they are located.
gmer:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.msg469486;topicseen#msg469486
radix:
http://www.usec.at/rootkit.html
press save log button,then attach logs here

I tried a Gmer scan BUT near the end the scan screen disappeared and I could not end the Gmer process no matter how many times I tried (via task manager). My desktop then froze when I tried to shut it down normally. I had to manually power it off. Thank goodness I was able to reboot without any corruptions.

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

mdubin

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
and radix did you try it?
here a list of easy to use anti rootkits:
http://download.cnet.com/Sophos-Anti-Rootkit/3000-8022_4-10702329.html
http://download.cnet.com/Panda-Anti-Rootkit/3000-8022_4-10717196.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/BitDefender-RootkitUncover.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Trend-Micro-Rootkit-Buster.shtml
PLEASE GIVE US REPORTS AND LOGS BEFORE REMOVEING ANY THING

I was kind of leery after the experience with Gmer. I'll check out some of the others you mentioned and see what others have to say.

Also, lets see what PK can come up with. I did several bits of testing for him and have posted my results.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »
<snip>
I tried a Gmer scan BUT near the end the scan screen disappeared and I could not end the Gmer process no matter how many times I tried (via task manager). My desktop then froze when I tried to shut it down normally. I had to manually power it off. Thank goodness I was able to reboot without any corruptions.

Was avast still running when you ran GMER all security applications have to be shut down ?

In fact it is probably best to shut down other programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mdubin

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
<snip>

Was avast still running when you ran GMER all security applications have to be shut down ?

In fact it is probably best to shut down other programs.

No programs of any kind were running. But I always have Avast real-time protection enabled.

I will try Panda Anti-Rootkit this evening. Any Guidelines I should follow?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:05:17 PM by mdubin »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »
I would suggest that you do Stop the avast shields (ensure that you aren't connected to the internet), run GMER again and see if that does resolve the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mdubin

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
I would suggest that you do Stop the avast shields (ensure that you aren't connected to the internet), run GMER again and see if that does resolve the problem.

I have Optimum Online broadband. The only way I know of to disconnect from the internet is to press the "bypass" button on top of the modem. Is that what I should do immediately prior to running GMER?

Also, please guide me as to what I should do at the end of the GMER scan?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
It is just advisable to prevent internet connections if you are going to disable your AV whilst running GMER as it isn't a general antivirus application. You could also disconnect the cable into your router/modem, if the bypass button prevents internet connection that should be enough.

mdubin

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
It is just advisable to prevent internet connections if you are going to disable your AV whilst running GMER as it isn't a general antivirus application. You could also disconnect the cable into your router/modem, if the bypass button prevents internet connection that should be enough.

Thanks David. I will press the Bypass button on the modem, disable the Avast shields, and then run GMER.

GMER was running for quite a while before the problem occured. Hopefully, the scan will complete this evening. Since I am not familiar with this software, what should I do at completion?

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
click save then post the log here
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

mdubin

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »

I followed every instruction for running Gmer and, again, it just disappeared from the screen completely while it was scanning. This time it did not remain resident and I was able to restart my computer. Something is not right here and I am nervous about running any other scans.

Although I prefer Avast to Avira (especially because of the boot scan), I removed Avast and installed Avira Antivir for the time being. I'll be happy to come back to Avast if someone can advise me how to resolve this error 267 invalid directory name problem.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
You really are throwing out the baby with the bath water as essentially there is nothing wrong with getting that error, all as I said way back, this is just reporting something that can't be scanned not something that is infected or suspect.

All of the other tools that we have suggested are basically to confirm that there is nothing under lyingly malicious about the fact that these areas can't be scanned.

So something cant be scanned and avast reports that fact rather than leave you blissfully unaware of the fact; so changing to another antivirus that doesn't report this doesn't change the condition of your system.

There is nothing to resolve, this error condition (reporting of an invalid folder) is outside of your control, your windows folder is working as it should (or you would know about it), just that for some reason the ADS branch of the folder is reported as invalid.

mdubin

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 04:43:45 PM »
You really are throwing out the baby with the bath water as essentially there is nothing wrong with getting that error, all as I said way back, this is just reporting something that can't be scanned not something that is infected or suspect.

All of the other tools that we have suggested are basically to confirm that there is nothing under lyingly malicious about the fact that these areas can't be scanned.

So something cant be scanned and avast reports that fact rather than leave you blissfully unaware of the fact; so changing to another antivirus that doesn't report this doesn't change the condition of your system.

There is nothing to resolve, this error condition (reporting of an invalid folder) is outside of your control, your windows folder is working as it should (or you would know about it), just that for some reason the ADS branch of the folder is reported as invalid.

Ok, David. I understand where you are coming from. But then why does Avast report this error 267 condition in the first place (that no other AV I have used has done) if nothing can be done about it? Like you said, there is nothing to resolve. So, yes, in this case it would be better if I was blissfully unaware of the fact. In my opinion, AV scans should report problems that can be repaired, quarantined, or removed.

Please understand that I am not technical when it comes to my desktop. I only wish to feel secure when using it. Reporting strange error conditions which cannot seem to be resolved does leave me a bit uneasy. True, switching to another AV does not change anything. But since I cannot do anything about it, I feel better not seeing any unresolveable errors or conditions.

I am not closing the door on Avast and might certainly come back to it. By the way, I did perform a rootkit scan from within Avira Antivir Personal and nothing showed up.