Author Topic: Error 267 Directory Name is Invalid  (Read 33855 times)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Error 267 Directory Name is Invalid
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »
mdubin, it seems, the problem was with NTFS streams (so called "streams" are additional information which are associated with certain files/folders). Unfortunately, when we isolated only NTFS streams from your Windows folder, the error wasn't reported again. So this could mean a conflict with other software/files. If you give avast another chance in future, I'd suggest you to use Process Monitor tool (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx), which saves all file I/O operations and shows which ones failed. Then we can see if there's e.g. a conflict with other software and fix the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
@ mdubin
I don't know, some errors that avast reports are directly related to windows file system errors.

This error number is one such windows file system error (see image), so avast is effectively echoing that error and reporting it, rather than leave the user blissfully ignorant.

Not being technical isn't an issue and why we have been going to lengths to show that there is no underlying malicious intent other than the reporting of this error.

Given PK's reply there is more to this than just the error being reported.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mdubin

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
mdubin, it seems, the problem was with NTFS streams (so called "streams" are additional information which are associated with certain files/folders). Unfortunately, when we isolated only NTFS streams from your Windows folder, the error wasn't reported again. So this could mean a conflict with other software/files. If you give avast another chance in future, I'd suggest you to use Process Monitor tool (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx), which saves all file I/O operations and shows which ones failed. Then we can see if there's e.g. a conflict with other software and fix the problem.

PK:
I did some research on the Process Monitor tool and the censensus is that it is for people with higher-than-average technical skills. I am far from being in that category. I would not know how to set it up and what to look for. Is there any way we can communicate privately so that you can guide me on this?

David:
I will probably come back to Avast provided I can learn how to set up and use the Process Monitor tool correctly. Hopefully I will be able to provide PK with the information he needs to help me fix this problem. I am not placing any blame on Avast and I am certainly aware that this problem is beyond Avast's control. It is my own insecurity with computers which makes me uneasy when something not right shows up which is not easily fixed.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »
mdubin: thanks for the log, it's quite clear now - it seems to me, that there's incorrect NTFS streams handling during scanning. We will continue to track the issue and keep you informed. Thanks.

mdubin

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
mdubin: thanks for the log, it's quite clear now - it seems to me, that there's incorrect NTFS streams handling during scanning. We will continue to track the issue and keep you informed. Thanks.

PK,

Your very welcome. Thanks for the excellent support!

mdubin