Author Topic: Where is record about submitted sample?  (Read 3774 times)

psw

Where is record about submitted sample?
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:53:31 AM »
Standard procedure for sending nondetectable sample to AV laboratory is to add the file in question to chest and select corresponding item in menu. Sample should be sheduled for sending into avast during next update. But where is the place (log or something like) for writing info about real this file transfer status (was this file really send and when this sending took place)?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Where is record about submitted sample?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »
Well I do a manual update right after I submit the file so it goes right away. Monitor the update process and you will see that part of it is the upload process, see image.

You can also check the setup.log file and in the same area where the update check is shown, there is a bit about uploaded files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

psw

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
My problem was that I done the same procedure (manually update etc.) but I had not obtained any info about sending sample. My connection is rather slow for output so sending 210k file is not instant. Besides I have no records about sending in setup.log file. Why? What is the difference between your and my cases? Updates are working ok.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »
Well my connection is dial-up so is relatively slow.

I have just done a test submission from the avast chest of an old sample:
1. I checked the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\spool\suspic folder which in 4.8 was where the file was placed first so it could be uploaded on the next update.

There was no file in this folder, so I don't know if the process from 4.8 (of submission from the chest) has changed or the submission failed (no errors).

2. I then did a manual update.

I didn't see any upload process during the update.

3. I checked the setup.log (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log) after the manual update and no indication of an upload.

Based on the fact that there was no file in the suspic folder (see 1. above), so perhaps that is why there no file uploaded.

So it failed to upload as far as I'm aware.

Note: I have submitted samples recently that I believe did get sent as I referred to a forum topic about it and there was a response by one of the virus labs team in that topic. So I don't know for sure if that was as a result of the submission or monitoring of the forums.

Note2: The image was one from my collection saved when I had done this previously 10 February 2010.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:29:26 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BrBrasil

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »
I am also trying to submit 10 undetected samples from Chest, but no signal of submission in any where....

Is it a bug?
 ???

Thanks for your time,

BrBrasil

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:02:35 AM »
I don't know as previously that would show that it was uploaded as part of the update process and in the setup.log file.

BrBrasil

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »
Maybe someone from Alwill could explain us if this behavior is expected? ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
Hopefully so.

BrBrasil

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:33:05 AM »
Ok!

I think I figured out how to avoid the problem (but I believe its a bug), I had submited all the 10 files from the chest.

1- Go to the files that are in chest and make them back to the original location outside of the chest
2- After that you put all in the original place, delete all the files from the chest
3- Add again all the files to the chest
4- DONT DELETE the files from the original location (outside the chest)
5- Select the files in the chest you would like to submit and choose the option to submit to Alwill
6- It will appear the submition form, so where you see:

File:
[chest] path to the file

you should delete [chest] and the space right after, so it will be just:
path to the file

fill the other info as necessary.

7- Repeat the procedure from 5 to each file you want
8- Do a manual update
9- There you go.. all files uploaded

10- Dont forget to delete all the files that we let outside the chest after you submit. We already have them in chest to test them with the future virus definitions.. :)

Hope that it helps.

Thanks for your time

BrBrasil

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
Yes, this is a bug in avast 5.0.507.
It will be solved in the next program update.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.