Author Topic: can i still activate pro on a 3rd pc but license expired?  (Read 8611 times)

sherri49

can i still activate pro on a 3rd pc but license expired?
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:47:34 AM »
i bought avast pro  in feb 2010 for 3 pc's but i only had 2 at the time. now i have a 3rd pc and would like to install avast on there but the license is expired. can i still activate pro on a 3rd pc since i bought it for 3 pc's? thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: can i still activate pro on a 3rd pc but license expired?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:53:05 AM »
The license period should still be valid to Feb 2011 and should be able to be installed on your 3rd PC.

What do you mean by the license is expired, e.g. what is the full text of the error ?

Try contacting sales (at) avast (dot) com and explain the problem, the date of purchase, where purchased and the email address used for the purchase.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sherri49

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:24:51 PM »
i mean the license link is expired and when i use the 3rd pc where i want to install avast i open the license there and 2 pop ups come up. first  says do u want to save, open, cancel and the one behind it has the download going on but the green lines going nowhere. if i click open or save on the first pop up, both pop ups close. i also have the license on a usb and the same 2 pops ups come up. do i just let the run? i also opened avast on the 3rd pc and insert the license from the usb and it said it was expired, i just bought this in feb 2010. i would just like to get the 3rd pc activated.

yes i do have an email with this issue. thanks
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:47:36 PM by sherri49 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:52:46 PM »
Well surely the license link is what you used to download the license file ?

That license file should be good for 3 systems, so you should be able to use it in the same way you did for the other two.

If that isn't the case, as I said it is probably best to contact sales direct.

See http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sherri49

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »
i just opened avast on my 3rd pc and it says the subscription has expired. how can that be when i bought a 1yr plan for 3 pc's in feb 2010? i sent this with my email. i hope someone helps. thanks for responding

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
OK so it says the subscription has expired, more information please.

What is the reported expiry date in the about avast information ?

Did you enter the license into the 3rd system ?
Given your saying that you would like to install the license in the 3rd system, so if you haven't managed to do that then it is possible that the trial period would have expired.

sherri49

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:12:46 AM »
ok on my first pc where i installed avast in feb 2010 my avasts says version 100427-1 and this is secure, under current status expiration date is 09/02/2011, so my subscription is still valid.

on the 3rd pc where i am having trouble the version is 100414-1 its unsecured because it says my virus definitions are out of date. when i update them it errors.... says the license for this product is invalid or has expired.

heres whats happens when i try and insert the license,
i put the license the email avast sent me on to a usb and inserted that into the 3rd pc. when i open the license on the 3rd pc i get 2 small pop ups. one says do u want to open or save this file and the second is behind that one doing a file download. but i dont see the download green line moving and if i click the fist pop up open, save or cancel.. both of the pop ups close. so im not sure what do there. i have downloaded avast into the 3rd pc but the license is expired, i just need to activate it. im running windows 7 on the 3rd pc is is possible its   not compatible?

OK so it says the subscription has expired, more information please.

What is the reported expiry date in the about avast information ?

Did you enter the license into the 3rd system ?
Given your saying that you would like to install the license in the 3rd system, so if you haven't managed to do that then it is possible that the trial period would have expired.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:25:53 AM »
Yes but on PC3 what is shown in the expiry date, ignore the error message and reoprt what avast is saying is the actual expiry date.

What is the file name that you saved on the USB stick ?

How are you opening this file, exactly what are you doing ?
Have you read the information on the link I gave you as that is all about registering.

avast works just fine on windows 7.

sherri49

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
ok on pc3 i cant find the expiry date because it says FIX NOW.  under show details where expiration date is it takes me to renew now subscription expired.

on the usb the file is named license.

i open the file by opening the removable f and double clicking the file called license.

i had registered when i bought in feb 2010 do i have to register again cause its another pc? i dont see a reg on the 3rd pc on the avast icon at the bottom of desktop.

Yes but on PC3 what is shown in the expiry date, ignore the error message and reoprt what avast is saying is the actual expiry date.

What is the file name that you saved on the USB stick ?

How are you opening this file, exactly what are you doing ?
Have you read the information on the link I gave you as that is all about registering.

avast works just fine on windows 7.

sherri49

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 02:53:56 AM »
oh btw, when i open avast on the 3rd pc and insert the license from the usb. a small pop up comes up from avast and it has my name and the expiry there is 09/02/2011 and then when the green lines finished, it says its invalid or has expired. i need a new license?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:48:39 AM »
I really can't help as what you are describing is alien to me as I don't use the pro version so I don't know what to expect, which is why I gave the knowledgebase link to the registration info.

The license file as far as I'm aware should be license.avastlic so avast would be expecting/looking for this file name, so I don't know if it is as simple as changing the name to license.avastlic.

All I can suggest is following what you did with the other two installations/registrations or contact sales (from my first reply) as I have no personal experience of registering the pro version.

sherri49

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:51:07 AM »
OK THANKS David, i have an email w avast. i'll see what they say. seems i need a new license key to activate the program.

sherri49

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
i found out what i did wrong, on my 1st pc i have avast internet security and on the 3rd pc i installed pro. ok now i will have to remove pro, do i do this in safe mode? and where to i find internet security to download?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »
Use the normal windows add remove programs, you shouldn't need to use safe mode.

If you wish you can do a clean install:
- Download the latest version of avast AIS, 5.0.507 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

- Avast! Internet Security Quick Start Guide http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-is-en-ww.pdf

sherri49

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »
wow thanks, it worked out w no problems. guess it helps to run the correct version w the correct license, lol. when i schedule a scan, will it scan at 3am w the pc off? or does it have to be on? thanks so much