Author Topic: Has my computer got a nasty?  (Read 6699 times)

Sanukk

Has my computer got a nasty?
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »

Hi

I've been having trouble with my desktop machine (running WinXP), it keeps bombing out, I don't mean crashing, but wallop... gone, as if somebody pulled the power cable out. It seems to be running slower, but that could be just because I'm now looking for problems. I've scanned it with everything I can think of and they all say it's clean.

Are there any virii/nasties that can do this? I thought it might be a power problem and was looking at getting a more powerful PSU, does anybody think that is a good idea? Any other ideas?

I've not bothered to include any logs (at this point), as I just wanted opinions on it being hardware or software causing the problem.

~S

Jtaylor83

Re: Has my computer got a nasty?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:13:58 AM »
It could be a result of overheating or possibly a lot dust inside of your desktop PC clogging the fans. You can have a professional replace a PSU with a new one, if you want. But, I may suggest you invest into a new computer and use the main hard drive as a slave, if you have personal files in it. Either way, it's your choice.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Sanukk   :)

It does seem to be a PSU problem as JTaylor suggested. If the computer is not very old, you might try installing a new PSU but there is no guarantee that will fix the problem as it could also be a problem with the motherboard though a failing PSU is the most likely problem.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »
Hi Sanukk,

It may not be worth to invest in a comp with hardware problems, just take out the harddisk and have it installed in a housing and use with a usb cable as an external disk on a new machine. I have done that recently and it is giving your comp a second life. Good idea hard disk transplant. Change the owning rights and there you go, all your data saved, no problems,

pol

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Sanukk

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »

Hi

Buying a new machine and moving  the drive is *NOT* an option. The machine is great apar rom this bombing out problem, replacing parts is no problem, throwing everything away and starting new is a TOTAL last resort.

~S

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Hi Sanukk,

Then open the case from one side and give the interior a good "hoovering". Your machine, especially fsu and mobo may love you for that, apply some thin layer of cooling paste with an old credit card for instance. Some applying is just like smearing peanut-butter.  Remember, dust is a more ferocious computer killer than any malware was. Another killer is slowly leaking "tors" than will impair on the life-cycle of the hardware components. A puter needs hardware and software maintanance during its lifetime. What is the CPU temp?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Sanukk

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »

Hi all,

I've just ordered a more powerful PSU and a *HUGE* CPU fan. Will update here after they have arrived and been fitted.

~S

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
Hi Sanukk,

Then open the case from one side and give the interior a good "hoovering". Your machine, especially fsu and mobo may love you for that
<snip>
polonus

Using a vacuum inside your PC isn't advised as there is a possibility of static build up which could damage delicate electronic components. Far better to use a can of compressed air to blow out ant dust and debris.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
Using a vacuum inside your PC isn't advised as there is a possibility of static build up which could damage delicate electronic components. Far better to use a can of compressed air to blow out ant dust and debris.

I'll agree and disagree.

It's never a good idea to stick something in your PC, especially while it's running due to static discharge and the fact that you could knock something loose (I've broken a capacitor off of a video card once, and it wasn't fun! Although I did solder it back on just fine...).

However, if you have a small shop-vac type vaccuum, you could put the hose on the discharge side of the vaccuum and "blow" the dust out.  It works very well, and you don't have to get very close to the components.  I highly recommend a "micro cleaning kit" to go along with the shopvac.  It makes the 1-1/4" hose turn into a 1/4" hose and concentrates the air into a finer point, which gives more power to get the dust.  It makes my computers look brand new and I've used the same technique on hundreds of computers and servers so far.  Not one has been damaged yet.

Just be sure to do this OUTSIDE...  It will make quite a mess!  ;D

Shopvac that I use: (similar anyway) http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Wet-Dry-Vacuums/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh7Zb8pi/R-100638350/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Micro Cleaning Kit: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Wet-Dry-Vacuums-Accessories/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh7Zb8pd/R-100139249/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Just use the big adapter on the right...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Sanukk

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »
I've just ordered a more powerful PSU and a *HUGE* CPU fan. Will update here after they have arrived and been fitted.
Well I've been running the new set-up for a few days now, and everything appears to be working great.

~S