Author Topic: Firewall spontaneously shuts down  (Read 14249 times)

qqwerty

Firewall spontaneously shuts down
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:12:47 AM »
I've been using AIS on two separate XP machines. On several occasions on both computers I've opened up the user interface to find that the firewall has somehow turned off by itself.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Hermite15

Re: Firewall spontaneously shuts down
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »
that seems to have happened for many people on XP...why I have no idea. But for those guys it was worse, the firewall wouldn't start again, even after a reboot or an attempt to start the service manually.
 I have another issue with it: if I remove it (the fw component), I can't reinstall it again. In fact it is reinstalled, it appears in the UI, but the service doesn't exist ;D. I must uninstall avast IS and reinstall it completely to get the fw working again.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »
Was the status shown as: stopped, or "Service Stopped" ?

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »

I don't know about the OP but concerning my issue (after a reinstall of the fw component), it's just "module not running" and there's no way to start the service as it doesn't even exist in computer management.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

I don't know about the OP but concerning my issue (after a reinstall of the fw component), it's just "module not running" and there's no way to start the service as it doesn't even exist in computer management.

Logos, it the firewall stops spontaneously, it must be running before, so it must exist. This is how I understand the verb "to stop".
However I am aware of the unrelated topic/bug is that in some installation the firewall fails to install, hence can not be started either.

L.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:15:23 PM »
yep I said it was another firewall issue in my case, and you answered it just now in another thread:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58846.msg498424#msg498424
 I posted about it here to make sure it doesn't get forgotten ;)
 Of course the OP must have had the service running in the first place. I've never seen it stopped like this. Sounds like an issue often found on XP.

MAG

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
I have the same problem as qqwerty. My recollection is that it said "service stopped" agaisnt firewall- but I'll confirm next time it happens.

qqwerty

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »
On my computers when I find it stopped I can start it up again by pressing "turn on" in the summery screen or with the "start" button on the firewall settings screens - but sooner or later I find it stopped again. I'm not sure if it says "stopped" or "service stopped" when it happens, I'll try to remember to make a note of it next time.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
Hi, in the \ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log\ folder, there might be several unpXXX.tmp.mdmp files created during some of the avast5 process's crashes. Could you please send me, or upload them to our FTP server - so that I can check if we are talking about the same (already fixed - but not yet released) problem or something new.

Thanks a lot.
Luk.

MAG

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »
Hi
I have 13 files of the type you describe dating from 19/04 (not sure if that was the latest program update). They don't seem to be of an allowed type for attaching, and I can't get the ftp server to open. Any instructions for that?
Thanks

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »
Hi
I have 13 files of the type you describe dating from 19/04 (not sure if that was the latest program update). They don't seem to be of an allowed type for attaching, and I can't get the ftp server to open. Any instructions for that?
Thanks

open in IE8: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/ then go to the "page" menu and click on "open ftp site in windows explorer" >>> then drag and drop your file (s).

qqwerty

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
Hi, in the \ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log\ folder, there might be several unpXXX.tmp.mdmp files created during some of the avast5 process's crashes. Could you please send me, or upload them to our FTP server - so that I can check if we are talking about the same (already fixed - but not yet released) problem or something new.

Thanks a lot.
Luk.

I have 3 of these files on one PC and 8 on the other. I've uploaded them all to the FTP server.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Thanks, hopefuly I will be able to quess which are these by the upload date...

MAG

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »

open in IE8: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/ then go to the "page" menu and click on "open ftp site in windows explorer" >>> then drag and drop your file (s).

Thanks for the help Logos

Lukor,
I have just uploaded the files you were asking for under a folder "MAGAFWSS".

When the firewall stops the message is Service Stopped".
Thanks for your help.
Sorry to but in on your post qqwerty.

qqwerty

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »

It just happened again. Under firewall settings it says "Service Stopped".