Author Topic: Avast! 5 - Blue Screen on Boot up, apparent conflict with Outlook 2003  (Read 4610 times)

altc

Avast! 5 seems to conflict with MS Outlook 2003. I get a Blue Screen on Boot-up, apparently when Outlook is loading.

System Restore during Safe Mode temporarily allows me to use the computer, but only until the next Reboot.

I tried to follow Knowledge Base Instructions, but my C:\Windows\Minidump folder appears empty. Also, I did not see a C:\Windows\Memory.DMP file to send to Avast.

The Blue Screen shows "Stop: 0x0000000A (0x0000B31C,0x0000001C,0x00000000,0x804FABE8)

I also photographed an Outlook error message which stated, "Outlook experienced a serious error the last time the add-in 'c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\ashoutxt.dll' was opened. Would you like to disable this add-in? To reactivate this add-in, click About Microsoft Office Outlook on the Help menu, and then click Disabled Items." I did not disable the add-in.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

k.u.r.t

Try to repair the avast installation from the Control Panel. Also, if you are not getting any minidumps after BSODs try to check the crash dump settings.
Right click on My Computer, select Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > System failure and check the settings. Ensure that overwrite existing file is checked, Kernel memory is checked and check the path to the dump file.

altc

Am not sure how to repair from Control Panel.

I was able to change settings & crash the computer again to get a minidump. What program should be used to OPEN the minidump. Also, how do I get it to this forum, copy & paste?

How critical is the ashoutxt.dll file to avast's proper working? I was able both to disable and re-enable it through Outlook. During the time it was disabled, avast seemed to have no problems, at least on the surface, and the computer rebooted OK. After I re-enabled it, the next reboot brought on the BSOD again.

Thanks!  Terry

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
I was able to change settings & crash the computer again to get a minidump. What program should be used to OPEN the minidump. Also, how do I get it to this forum, copy & paste?

You should have already gotten some minidump files in \Windows\minidump folder. Is that correct? Please send me a couple of the latest files to kurtin@avast.com

Thanks.

altc

I just now sent the one minidump, all I have so far.
Thanks! Terry

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Got it, thanks. It looks like bdfsfltr.sys driver caused blue screen – sounds like a bitdefender driver, do you use their software? Try to upgrade it or uninstall, because two av products may cause a compatibility issues. Thanks.

altc

I have had both av's for some time. Bit Defender (paid version) had some difficulties, so I installed avast beside it. They co-existed peacefully until just last week. I was waiting out the end date on the Bit Defender (10 days left) to use avast exclusively. Might as well kill it now!
Thanks!

altc

I uninstalled Bit Defender and have tested reboot 3 times since, with no BSOD.  I never would have guessed that B/D was the problem. Outlook is happy now & we're back in business!

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!   :) :) :)   Terry