Author Topic: Help Please... AV5 won't let OE download mail  (Read 3580 times)

Barbnb

Help Please... AV5 won't let OE download mail
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:13:46 AM »
I use Mailwasher to check my email & then download it with Outlook Express, I never had any problem with Avast 4 & then I upgraded to 5.... aaaaggghhh!!!

It wouldn't let Mailwasher or Outlook Express get my mail but I got Mailwasher sorted by adding a line to the .ini file to ignore Mailwasher, so that one is solved -BUT- the only way I can now download my email in OE is to disable Avast 5 which is crazy as its needed & defeats the purpose of an antivirus.

I have googled the net for the last 2 days trying to see if others have the same prob & read through the FAQs on Avast but I seem to alone on this.

My OS is Xp & I have the free/home Avast version.

**** Since I can get my mail if I disable it AV5... there has to be fix... any help please??

doktornotor

Re: Help Please... AV5 won't let OE download mail
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »
Disable any sort of encryption in OE.

I.e.:

POP3: port 110, no SPA or SSL or TLS or anything
IMAP: port 443, ditto
SMTP: port 25 or 587, ditto

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
- Note avast's Mail Shield would scan the email traffic to MailWasher:
- Personally as a mailwasher pro user I have avast IgnoreProcess for mailwasher.exe. Since MailWasher doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only. Based on this I personally don't feel that any negligible risk worth scanning duplication, but the choice is yours.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file, [MailScanner] section using notepad. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\EmailShield.ini

[MailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=MailWasher.exe add this line if you don't already have an IgnoreProcess line.

Save the changes to EmailShield.ini and exit, the avast self-defence module will ask are you sure about the changes, etc. answer Yes.

The above file location is for XP so you might need to find it on Vista, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Barbnb

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:58:45 AM »
Thanks DavidR As said in my post I have already sorted Mailwasher out... that is not the problem ;)

Barbnb

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:01:34 AM »
Ok just tried that and it didn't work  :-[

Disable any sort of encryption in OE.

I.e.:

POP3: port 110, no SPA or SSL or TLS or anything
IMAP: port 443, ditto
SMTP: port 25 or 587, ditto

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:35 AM »
Well, didn't work doesn't really provide enough info here. Do you get any errors?

Barbnb

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »
Sorry is this any better? This is the OE error:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'My Mail', Server: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 124.108.96.66 (124.108.96.66:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

doktornotor

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
Hmmm... close OE. go to Avast mail shield advanced settings, delete any accounts created there, run OE again and see if it helps. If not, post a screenshot of the settings from OE and Avast.