Author Topic: Long delay when desktop initializes, with big CPU hit (was working fine before)  (Read 5479 times)

ladlon

Hi.  Hope someone here can shed some light on this...

I have Avast5 free (up to date, currently 5.0.462) on an XP Pro system (all up to date), and it was working great since it's release.

However, recently some issues have developed.  When booting up Windows, I have a few background tasks that get loaded/initialized when the desktop is getting set up (CCleaner, which does a quick cleanup... a RAM monitor... and the activation of my internet connection, etc).  That all worked fine, and I had Avast load first (so I was secure before the internet or any viruses might jump in before the shields went up, so to speak).

Now, on bootup of the desktop, Avast is loaded, but the web shield and some other modules are disabled for some unknown reason, and (according to the Task manager), Avast is using about 65% CPU (at this point), and the CPU use overall (Performance graph) is hitting the roof at (usually) 100% for a couple of minutes.  Access to the internet (and starting up any other apps) at this point is held back (as if whatever Avast is doing has priority).

After a few minutes, The CPU strain suddenly drops, Avast activates the disabled modules, and the system runs normal again.

Seems like part of Avast5's startup is done with great difficulty, and as a result the whole CPU is used (and all other tasks are delayed) as it attempts to complete whatever it is that is causing it grief.

Task Manager is only really pointing out one of the Avast modules as using up any significant CPU power... usually the AvastUI.exe... during this 'strain'.  But, once it's released after a few minutes, AvastUI goes to zero, and only the AvastSvc.exe module is occasionally going to about 6% for a brief moment (....which is all fine...  I'm just saying it all returns to normal after that initial strain/pause).

I tried switching off the setting that has Avast load before all other apps, and that helped with the holding back of some of the items, but the internet connection is still held back (and other apps that I try to start during this strain are held back).  I have no problem with that (Avast should have priority anyway)... it's just that it strains for a few minutes, makes the CPU hit the roof, etc... rather than it's usual fast initialization.

Granted, I've been having some issues with this system recently (registry is starting to go a bit on things like file associations)... and I'm in the process of trying to install Windows on a new drive, and reinstall everything... but for now, I need this old system to run while it can.

Any theories or things I can look into?  Seems to be running just fine once it gets over that initialization thing.

P4 2.8 with 2 gigs ram, if that's relevant.  Ran just fine before.  This has only been happening over the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:38:44 PM by ladlon »

Krayt3ch

I also have a machine here that is doing the same

P4, XP, 1gb ram

it seems the be the Avast Firewall is canning what ever is trying to access the net at boot up.

EntitY

I would use the Repair function by going to Add or Remove and if that don't fix it, reinstall Avast and use the Avast Removal Tool in safe mode and also use ccleaner in safe mode and reinstall Avast.

Offline Baz8755

I have seen similar issues with my install (though not as severe as yours).

Every evening when I boot up my machine it will become incredibly sluggish for the 1st 30 seconds or so and then I'll get the message that my virus definitions have been update and all will return to normality. Subsequent reboots are fine as now definitions need updating.

My PC is no slouch as it's a top spec alienware PC (admittedly a couple of years old now).

I chose to ignore this issue as I thought it was the way Avast worked but.......
Windows 8.1, i7 12GB RAM 500GB SSD, Avast Free

ladlon

Ya, mine was like that before...  a few seconds pause as it loaded up the updates... which was fine.

Doesn't seem to be the update download that is the culprit now (with the long delay)... as the internet isn't even activated at that point (held back).

It's often the AvastSrv.exe that SEEMS to be blasting the CPU up to 100% (...the exe takes up up 65% during this surge).  It fluctuates between 65 to 40ish for a few minutes, holding everything back... then suddenly drops, the internet activates, the updates download, and everything is back to normal.

Does anyone know what is actually happening?  Any official word from the company?  I'm a bit uneasy about issues where the solution is only 'reinstall it'.... especially for anti-virus programs.  I just jumped off the sinking boat named 'BitDefender2010' (after using Avast4 free before that) for that very reason.

ladlon

Could I get some sort of response from a senior member or Avast representative about this?  The lack of official response to my post is a bit concerning here, and making me consider switching to another anti-virus product.

ladlon

I guess not....

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Please try the latest build: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59223.0
And post back your results.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Popgory

Please try the latest build: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59223.0
And post back your results.
asyn

Unfortunately, 5.0.533 did not resolve the 7 minute, 44 sec boot time that I have been dealing with for the past week.     I've got to do something else.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
@popgory, what avast version do you use? Free/Pro/IS? + what OS? Do you observe the similar behavior as ladlon user?

@ladlon, I'm afraid, you'll need to generate a complete memory dump so we can see what's going on in avast service. Please follow these steps:

1) Enable complete dumps (Start->Run, type sysdm.cpl, go to Advanced tab, Startup & Recovery, choose "Complete memory dump"). Howto in more detail: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542953.aspx
2) Run regedit.exe, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.
3) Reboot
4) Wait than avast service goes to 100% CPU and then press right CTRL key and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice.
5) Crashdump will be generated in \Windows\Memory.dmp - please compress that file (zip/7z/rar) and upload it to our FTP (http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18)

Thanks.

Popgory

@popgory, what avast version do you use? Free/Pro/IS? + what OS? Do you observe the similar behavior as ladlon user?

Not meaning to hijack thread.  Yes, same Windoze o/s, different CPU - Sempron 2800 - 2gig of RAM. (would of put this in the sig block but unable to configure one of the profile)

Was using 5.0.507 free then tried 5.0.533 but had same long boot time.

Removed 5.0.533 and boot time went down to 1:53 with everything ready to go.

Have 5.0.507 on two other Win XP SP3 boxes w/o problems - also on P3-1100 laptop w/o any problems.

Clearly something trashed the big system.  Will have to figure it out later.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
(would of put this in the sig block but unable to configure one of the profile)

You need 20 posts first. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0