Author Topic: Thorough scan crashes?  (Read 6901 times)

jonv

Thorough scan crashes?
« on: July 11, 2004, 12:39:58 AM »
When i start a thorough scan it starts scanning, about 30mins later after scanning a few hundred files the program just seems to terminate/quit. Nothing mentioned in log for 2 day and date of last scan remains 30/6.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Thorough scan crashes?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 01:11:49 AM »
Is it repeatable - i.e. does it happen again when you run another thorough scan? Did you check the "Scan archive files" checkbox?
You can turn on the creation of the report file, and let the "OK files" be included as well. The report will be rather big, but from its end you can tell where the scanning stopped...

jonv

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 01:19:16 AM »
Yes repeatable, yes scan archives is checked.
Will log all files as suggested.
Win XP btw
Been scanning fine on same settings up till last scan.

jonv

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 12:40:27 PM »
Ok thanks, last log entry was part of a multi part rar/ror archive. Removing that all scanned ok.
Why's status info, and scan reports grayed out in avast menu?

Thanks.

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 12:58:07 PM »
Why's status info, and scan reports grayed out in avast menu?

if i'm not wrong..you are using the home edition...

for home edition...you can only assess the scan reports immediately after the scan...it doesn't save the report...

however you can try to create a report file in text format which i think you already did...

jonv

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »
Did use home but its a demo of professional edition atm..

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 01:06:27 PM »
It would be nice if we could check the troublesome archive, so that we can fix the problem. Do you still have the file?

Btw, are you using the latest build of avast?

Gene Johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 07:01:46 PM »
jonv says after 30 mins avast! has scanned a few hundred files. After 8 minutes mine has scanned 30,000 and is finished. Is it a file problem or something else on his machine taking up the process time? Does Control-Alt-Delete show anything else running? Does it always stop in the same file? The lack of a report would indicate premature stoppage not an infected file.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 12:28:43 AM »
It would be nice if we could check the troublesome archive, so that we can fix the problem. Do you still have the file?
There was a little bug in unrar source - sometimes it might crash (aka "internal program error, code 42003"), if you scanned last part (.rXX) of multi volume archive and there was no another file in the last (.rXX) archive. Next avast build will contain the patch, sorry for troubles.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 12:32:07 AM by pk »

jonv

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 02:13:10 AM »
Ok thanks 4 help, sounds like problem is probably already being fixed.
Archive might be 2 big to mail and a bit copywrited maybe.
the 30 mins to scan a few hundred is just because there are alot of big files/archives etc. the rest fly through.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 02:53:28 AM »
There was a little bug in unrar source - sometimes it might crash (aka "internal program error, code 42003"), if you scanned last part (.rXX) of multi volume archive and there was no another file in the last (.rXX) archive. Next avast build will contain the patch, sorry for troubles.

pk, I have a lot of files 'missed' in the temp folder of avast...
Could both of things related?
Igor asked me to see 'which' file did this, I mean, which archive file contains the 'missed' files into avast temp folder... But I cannot figure out.
Computer goes so slowly... A temporary files cleanning and everything goes fine again...
I thought it was related to avast screen saver module but I'm not sure.
Yesterday I was sure: it was ashQuick.exe while scanning downloaded files but today it works...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 09:16:20 AM »
>> Could both of things related?
No, they couldn't. That little .rXX bug is nothing horrible.

>>missed files
Next time, e.g. try to view those files if they are related any software, it could help.
I wrote better cleaning routines for removing temp files, to be sure there will stay no files after scanning. Hope it will help a little bit.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 09:56:52 PM »
Next time, e.g. try to view those files if they are related any software, it could help.

I'll try to remember. I have automatic cleanning routines as well  :-*

I wrote better cleaning routines for removing temp files, to be sure there will stay no files after scanning. Hope it will help a little bit.

Of course it will  8) Thanks.
The best things in life are free.