Author Topic: avast! 5 - Terrible Latency Issues  (Read 6097 times)

Ictinike

avast! 5 - Terrible Latency Issues
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:27 AM »
Had a long drawn out post but considered bulleted points easier..

Re-installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and installed new Avast! 5.  Massive latency issues with many online resources including web, games, etc.  Ping times in Darkfall MMO were 5000-9000+ and terrible.

Found only difference was new Avast! 5.0 compared to earlier Avast! Home 4.8.

Uninstalled and found ping times BACK to normal ranges.

Images...

Avast! 5 installed and Pingtest.net results:

Avast! 5 UNINSTALLED and Pingtest.net results:

What's up?  Love Avast! and now I have to NOT have it installed as it's severely affecting my online experience.

/sigh

Ictinike

Re: avast! 5 - Terrible Latency Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »
Tried a search of these forums and could not find anything really related to high latency issues or a solution.

Maybe I didn't search the correct terms or well enough and only found issues with the on access scanners slowing various portions of internet traffic down but not to this extent.

Sorry, it's late and I just spent the better portion of today re-installing everything thinking I was near complete but this high latency/ping issue has consumed me the past several hours and now I feel a bit cheated.

Are there solutions available or incoming?

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:26:09 AM »
There was a long thread.......few weeks ago i think, about high DPC latency.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
Hmm, strange, just tried it on my test system, and this is what I got.

Maybe it's a conflict with some other software you're running. Are you running e.g. the paid version of MawareBytes antimalware?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
I have seen alot of complaints so far involving latency issues.
I have a couple of observations on this, maybe someone can tell
me if I am way off base here.....
I too just ran a ping test...actually I ran it several times, some on the same response server,
and some on a different server. The results I got were never the same. Sometimes it was more,
sometimes less. This leads me to conclude that the net is not a constant, but rather subject to
such frailties as traffic load, end point load, server response time, ect. I fail to see how any of the
so called "speed tests" could be of any real value when trying to judge a network connection.
I think a more valuable tool would be a "network load" response from a server showing the traffic
load at a given point and then giving a speed response. I guess the point is I am not convinced that
"latency" is the issue.
Another thing to consider...
Many times, when I run a program, my little firewall guard dog lets me know that other things I did
not ask to run wish to access the net...now without this little bit of info, I would never know that
other items were attempting to access the net without my permission. While most of this may be
traced to update modules attempting to run, or some other service trying to run, it does affect system and network response speeds, especially if avast is trying to scan it all, (doing it's job).
I strongly encourage a more in depth look at a system before applying a "knee-jerk" reaction which
may not lead you to the real cause.
Just my opinion :)

Edit: Added a screenshot of my test.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:55:09 PM by PapaSmurf »

Ictinike

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
Hmm, strange, just tried it on my test system, and this is what I got.

Maybe it's a conflict with some other software you're running. Are you running e.g. the paid version of MawareBytes antimalware?

Thanks
Vlk

No sir, no MawareBytes software here.  What's odd is this is a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate and very little in the way of "fluff" installed.  Your basic OS, AV, Firewall (Agnitum Outpost Pro), and utilities (DVD Burn, Winzip, etc).  At first I had suspected a conflict between Avast! and the Outpost Firewall but several installations/de-installations of both proved the same results.  I'll continue to work with this but quite simply if I install Avast! 5 my pings, online wide, become very bad.

I strongly encourage a more in depth look at a system before applying a "knee-jerk" reaction which
may not lead you to the real cause.
Just my opinion :)

Don't disagree there PapaSmurf and I will continue to try and find a solution however it was not only a "speedtest" site/app that confirmed this but rather multiple applications from of multiple areas (ie: Games, Web, Speedtest.net, Email, etc).  All applications seemed to be stricken with this high latency while Avast! was installed.  Remove Avast! and each and every one returned to a normal functioning pattern.

The biggest was the MMO Darkfall I play.  With Avast! installed my ping to the server, albeit west coast and I'm east coast, was over 5000+.  Without Avast! installed and simply a reboot later my pings in game were back down to 60-100 which is typical.  I even, for confirmation, exited the game and re-installed the latest version of Avast! and rebooted.  Instantly my ping in game that was originally 5000+, then sub 100 without Avast! installed, now back up to 5000+ simply installing and rebooting once.

Thanks!

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:59:44 PM »
Just a wild guess, but maybe Avast! doesn't like the drivers for your internet card or maybe the card itself. I have no latency problems here at all.