Author Topic: Unable to install Avast Internet Security in WinXP SP3  (Read 8843 times)

rkwagner44

Unable to install Avast Internet Security in WinXP SP3
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:50:59 PM »
I just purchased AIS for 3 computers.  It installs fine on 2 of my 3 computers.  All computers are running Windows XP SP3.  On computer number 3, it installs but fails on the reboot.  I get to the screen just before the Windows Welcome screen and it reboots again and just goes into a loop rebooting.  I have to boot in the safe mode to uninstall AIS so I can get into Windows.  I have no other anti-virus or firewall programs installed when installing AIS.  This computer does run the free version of Avast anti-virus just fine.  Today I tried installing the newest beta AIS in the safe mode and that also fails.  I'm at a loss as to what to try next.  I'm open to all suggestions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unable to install Avast Internet Security in WinXP SP3
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

rkwagner44

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
Here's part of the mini-dump file that looks pertinent to me.  Does this help?

ntoskrnl.exehal.dll   kdcom.dll BOOTVID.dllACPI.sys
WMILIB.SYSpci.sys
isapnp.sysohci1394.sys 1394BUS.SYS
sshrmd.sysssfs0bbc.sys
ssidrv.sysNDIS.SYSTDI.SYScompbatt.sys^…   BATTC.SYS
pciide.sys PCIIDEX.SYSMountMgr.sys

ftdisk.sys"CcBc
dmload.sysüdmio.sys PartMgr.sys VolSnap.sys   atapi.sys aic78xx.sysSCSIPORT.SYS   nvata.sysdisk.sysCLASSPNP.SYS
fltmgr.syssr.sys#âPxHelp20.sys\…
KSecDD.sysNtfs.sysaswNdis2.sys aswNdis.sysPÊ#âMup.sys   AmdK8.sys usbohci.sys USBPORT.SYSÄ ^… usbehci.sysx `…   imapi.sys
AnyDVD.sys
ElbyDelay.sys   cdrom.sys redbook.sysIrp ks.sys^…’^… nic1394.sys<’^…HDAudBus.sysnvnetbus.sys   NVNRM.SYS
NVSNPU.SYSl¢™÷nv4_mini.sysfrVIDEOPRT.SYS
ASACPI.sysCcScfdc.sys
serial.sysp0°ä† serenum.sys parport.sysi8042prt.sys^…mouclass.syskbdclass.sys audstub.sys rasl2tp.sysndistapi.sys ndiswan.sysˆ+š÷raspppoe.sysfn raspptp.sys
psched.sys   msgpc.sys ptilink.sys
raspti.sys^…Pcouffin.sys   rdpdr.sys
termdd.sys
swenum.sys
update.sysmssmbios.sys NDProxy.SYSàA6÷
usbhub.sysUSBD.SYS^…ADIHdAud.syse… portcls.sysdrmk.sys AEAudio.sys¨–^… Senfilt.sysNVENETFD.sysflpydisk.sys
Fs_Rec.SYSNull.SYSBcBeep.SYS^…vga.sysN_…   mnmdd.SYS
RDPCDD.sys
NtFsMsfs.SYS^…Npfs.SYSš÷
rasacd.sysHal    ipsec.sys   tcpip.sys   aswFW.SYS   ipnat.sys
wanarp.sysк
aswTdi.SYSp0°ä† arp1394.sys   netbt.sys   NVTcp.sys ws2ifsl.sysFilåafd.sys netbios.sys0°ä†   rdbss.sys
mrxsmb.sysFips.SYSElbyCDIO.sysBc   aswSP.SYS
aswSnx.SYSì™^…
hidusb.sysHIDCLASS.SYSHIDPARSE.SYSAsIO.sysAavmker4.SYS USBSTOR.SYS Fastfat.SYSðe…dump_nvata.sysdump_WMILIB.SYSO^…
win32k.sysÀØ5÷   Dxapi.syswatchdog.sysdxg.sys
dxgthk.sysnv4_disp.dll   ATMFD.DLLaswFsBlk.SYSBc@‚]…]…€:8Irp Øši…Bðì™÷(œ^…(œ^…    èì™÷Øì™÷¨7ü†ð^…è½m…HÂñ†L
Ntfn¸Ý]…(Ãñ†#Ntfi8U^…˜5†A(Ãñ†ž^…0ž^…0ž^…8ž^…8ž^…€J_…àA6÷4…ÿÿÿÿ@oO€ÿÿÿÿ@€z÷ÿÿÿÿ@AIrp øy4…àxã…C4…4…
¸xã…¨xã…˜   4…(4…`³6…¸Šñ†bi5÷ðæò†8æò†?!÷É   ô `ò†A^4À0PV€0PV€<Irp øÛ3…<HÆ…04…04…
ˆ·^¸Nqc   ÈXV€ÈXV€ø4…+AIrp ¸xA…x4…x4…
ˆ¼$ôx¼$ôèÖà…ˆ4…HHë…^O
AwFwAddr((ß…(¶3… 4… 4…AwFw‡OA ½3…4…„ˆ4…ˆ4…8 ÀúN¸˜w4…P   4…ÀüN¸PúN¸ (HI†ÀüN¸AO
ThråIü† ¨ˆÆ…íÝfâp    4…    4…¨   4…¨   4…Р  ô    ôÐý¨Æ   ô
Ì   4…Ì   4…Ô   4…Ô   4… ½3…q
4…ÀÏU€k É   ô É   ô˜   4…¼Ç   ô
4…˜   4…˜   4…
4…
4…˜   4…ˆ
4…
4…ÇU€
P
4…P
4…v8wˆÊU€€6f†dÍ   ôÌ   4…ä
4…ä
4…ä
4…ì
4…ì
4…Р  ô0˜   4…Ì   4…Ì   4…Z/P€b/P€j/P€< 4…< 4…PÝ3…к3…p7ÊÕ"XW` 4…` 4…€¥gâÐA{âHjâ| 4…| 4…8@” 4…” 4…(9…(9… ½3…é|5ßwÌÝ3…L»3…ÿOIrp 3
 ½3…„x™þ…4…4…ŒÈ   ô0˜   4…Ì   4…Ì   4…,KO€ˆX€((ß…0p톐ô-ô4…‡R†j9a÷È)5…ÀÆ´…¶"'ô¼Ç   ô8ÈJ†3NSnx 4…X4ŽÚ税eˆëÊÊDÜ»Èª³–ëÊ8@ svchost.exe4…4…
4…„Ì   ô˜   4… 4…P—Å… `ò†Þ§,÷зø…(HI†Sÿ6QPhO€ÿuÔèfƒÄƒ}v
ÿuÔèGUÿÿë‰=€ÐU€ÆEÛ‹EÐ@;E‰EЂ@ÿÿÿ_^[‹Müè~QÿÿÉÂÌÌÌÌÌÌÇ:U€èõŒ¸U€ƒÉÿðÁu3À8AZU€u8üÖT€uPPè"jè_ýÿÿÃÌÌÌÌÌÌ‹ÿU‹ìQSV±ÿ,€M€¾LÇU€‹ÎˆEÿè)y‹E2Û€xu‹ˆX‹@‰‰AþËÎè(yŠMÿÿ0€M€^ŠÃ[ÉÂÌÌÌÌÌ‹ÿU‹ìQS±ÿ,€M€»LÇU€‹ËˆEþèÔx‹E€xÆEÿuD‹M‹U‰HV‹uÊW‹}Îωp‰x‰P‰HÆ@‹
XÇU€‰Ç@XÇU€_‰A£XÇU€ÆEÿ^‹ËèœxŠMþÿ0€M€ŠEÿ[ÉÂÌÌÌÌÌjhx—M€è
*¸XÇU€‰EÜ‹XÇU€…Ût~ƒ=\ÇU€tu‰Eä‰]à;]ÜtjöÃue‹ó3ÿVè}§„ÀtWFGƒÿ rï‹Eä9CuH‹K‹S‹s‹CÆÂÁ€{u)9Cu$ÆCƒeüQRÿÖÆCë3À@Ëeè‹]àÆCƒMüÿ‰]ä‹ëŽè°)ÃÌÌÌÌÌÌ‹ÿU‹ìQSV±ÿ,€M€¾LÇU€‹ÎˆEÿèŸw‹E2Û€xu‹ˆX‹@‰‰AþËÎèžwŠMÿÿ0€M€^ŠÃ[ÉÂÌÌÌÌÌ‹ÿU‹ìQSW±ÿ,€M€¿LÇU€‹ÏˆEÿèIw‹E2Û8Xu8‹M‹U‰HV‹uÊΉp‰P‰HÆ@‹
PÇU€‰Ç@PÇU€‰A£PÇU€þÃ^‹Ïè wŠMÿÿ0€M€_ŠÃ[ÉÂÌÌÌÌÌjhˆ—M€èŽ(¸PÇU€‰EÜ‹PÇU€…Û„©ƒ=TÇU€„œ‰Eà;]Ü„öÃ…‡‹ó‰uØ‹ûƒeäWèí¥„ÀtrGÿEäƒ}ärì‹Eà9Cu`‰]à‹‰]Ô‹N‹V‹FÂÁ€~u¬9Fu§ƒùu¢R謥„Àt˜3À‰EüPPVjÿVÆFƒMüÿë3À@Ëeè‹EØÆ@ƒMüÿ‹]Ôégÿÿÿè(ÃÌ
*** Fatal System Error: 0x%08lx
                       (0x%p,0x%p,0x%p,0x%p)

Driver at fault: %s.

*** STOP: 0x%08lX (0x%p,0x%p,0x%p,0x%p)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
Send the full dump file to vlk (at) avast (dot) com and mention a link to this thread.

rkwagner44

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:35:38 AM »
Did you get my full dump file?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:16 AM »
You = Vlk (not me ;D).

rkwagner44

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:14:27 AM »
Oooooh, sorry about that.   :-[

rkwagner44

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
Finally got AIS to boot up after installation by preventing Webroot Spy Sweeper, Winpatrol and APC Power chute from running at startup.  I didn't take the time to figure out which one of the three is causing the problem.  I reinstated all three afterwords and everything is working fine.  However AIS firewall did not install either in Windows or in safe mode.  Is there a work around to get the firewall to install?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »
Something is blocking the firewall driver to be installed? An old firewall? ???

rkwagner44

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 06:32:24 AM »
No, I uninstalled Zonealarm and Windows firewall is turned off.  All firewalls were removed before I installed AIS.

rkwagner44

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:20 PM »
Today I uninstalled AIS and rebooted into safe mode.  I then installed AIS ver. 5.0.542.  As usual a little window opened up near the end of the install saying Avast Firewall Driver couldn't be installed.  When the install completed I then rebooted into Windows.  AIS was fully functional except the firewall component was missing.  I then went into the control panel and opened the  add/remove programs window.  I clicked on Avast and choose change.  The firewall had a red x in it's box, so I changed it to a green check mark.  When I clicked next a little window open saying Avast Firewall driver couldn't be installed.  I then viewed the log file and scanned to the bottom.  There it said "couldn't install the network component returned 0x800F0203".  I clicked ok and let the change procedure complete.  I then clicked on the repair button and let it complete.  I then rebooted windows.  After all this I opened the Avast user interface.  Voila, the firewall was now present but it was stopped.  Clicking the start button under firewall produced a message saying unable to start firewall.  Any ideas on where to go from here?  Thanks for your help.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »
did you install AIS in safe mode ??? you need to have a fully functional Windows to install it!!! (for drivers).
 And a running network connection is better (that was required in early avast 5 builds,due to a few complaints this is not a pre-requirement anymore)
  I never attempted to install AIS in safe mode ;D and I'm surprised that you could go that far actually... ???

rkwagner44

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 12:38:45 AM »
I installed AIS 5.0.542 in the safe mode.  My first and second sentences conveyed that, I thought.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 12:46:29 AM »
I installed AIS 5.0.542 in the safe mode.  My first and second sentences conveyed that, I thought.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

you were perfectly clear, and that's exactly what I understood ;D get rid of that install (uninstall in safe mode is OK), then go back to Windows in normal mode, and install AIS from there ;)

rkwagner44

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 12:55:30 AM »
I've tried that also.  I get the same results.  It won't load the Avast firewall driver.