Author Topic: Question about avast! Internet Security  (Read 2787 times)

Zadion

Question about avast! Internet Security
« on: May 04, 2010, 04:55:06 AM »
Due to my old antivirus being discontinued, I just installed the avast! Internet Security trial to test it out, and I was going to purchase it if I am happy with it. However, while browsing through it's features, I noticed some things that implied it's constantly sending and receiving information.

To clarify, I live in the middle of nowhere, and my only high speed internet option is satellite (I use WildBlue). One of the biggest downfalls of satellite internet is their "Fair Access Policy." I'm sure other satellite users will be familiar with what this is, but for those who aren't, it's basically a cap on internet usage. With my current service, I'm allowed a total of 12,500 MB of received information and 3,000 MB of sent information monthly; but this resets every 30 days rather than at the beginning of the month. As is, I already use almost all of my download threshold (or received information - the 12,500 MB) through web browsing, flash games, and instant messaging. My thresholds (Fair Access Policy) forbid me from having programs which are constantly sending and receiving information; the technician I spoke to pretty much told me this.

So my question is this: does avast! constantly send and receive information through the firewall, antispam, or anything else? If so, how much? If it's more than 10-15 MB sent or received daily, then it's too much for me to use. I downloaded the free version temporarily, and it didn't seem to have anything that was constantly sending and receiving information; however, since my family does most of our shopping online and a lot of online banking, I didn't feel the free version was secure enough for our needs.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Also, I apologize if this is the wrong section. I didn't notice any other sections that related to the Internet Security package.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:57:09 AM by Zadion »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Question about avast! Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
avast just download updates. Set them accordingly (maybe with a 24 hours interval, for instance).
The virus definitions updates are incremental and of few kb only.
Program updates are incremental too, but they could be of few Mb.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
Avast! also sends data if you take part in Avast! Community ( Settings - Community ). I don't know how much it is, but you should think in kb's, not Mb's. If you want you can deselect it.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:03:46 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Zadion

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:16:41 AM »
Okay, so that means it should be fine with my internet.
Thanks!