Author Topic: Re-registering Avast on a new PC  (Read 2928 times)

Alec Fry

Re-registering Avast on a new PC
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »
I have just bought a new PC and wish to install Avast!, which I have been using on my old machine for several years. I already have a valid and current key from before.

Your website doesn´t seem to offer the option to re-use this. Can you please explain how to go about it.

I am now using Google Chrome on XP Home Edition. Presumably that won´t cause any problems?

Many thanks, Alec.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Re-registering Avast on a new PC
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
Are you talking about the free or the paid (pro) version?
Maybe this help: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59309.msg499858#msg499858
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:32:34 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Alec Fry

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:03:33 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I am talking about the free version.

I have looked up the link but I don´t need a key reminder. I kept a careful note of this. I just want to ensure that it is registered correctly.

Do I just enter it as if it were a new one, even though it´s halfway through its year?

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 05:20:51 PM »

If you are still using the old computer with avast on it, then just get a new key for the new avast on the new computer. Since it is free, it is the easiest resolution.

If you are no longer using the old computer, then it is OK to use the old key in the new avast on the new computer providing they are the same versions of avast ... 4.8 versus 5.0 ... but you will have to get a new key in about 6 months. So, why not just get a new key now and be done with it for a year?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:22:29 PM by CharleyO »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
Click on Maintenance, than Registration for online registering.
1) Open Avast.
2) Click on "Maintenance" then "Registration".
3) Fill out the form for your license key and click "Submit".
The best things in life are free.

Alec Fry

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
Thank you, CharleyO and others. That´s a good point about the version needing to be the same. As you say, it would make more sense to start again with a new key, assuming that it isn´t refused on the basis that my email address is still linked to the original. I doubt if that will happen though, I´ll just try and see.

Alec