Author Topic: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.507)  (Read 152400 times)

nighttree

Re: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.507)
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »

@nighttree: when you switch to a different page, what exactly is slow? Just GUI? Try run Task Manager (taskmgr.exe), go to "Processes" tab, do you see high CPU usage? Thanks.

Nothing like that listed under "processes" ......
Under "performance" there is a CPU usage gage that is rapidly bouncing from low numbers (0 to 4) to numbers as high as 100.

What that means is beyond me however  :-[

What "appears" to be happening, is that Avast takes several minutes to scan every page change I make, and it's getting slower every day. As of this morning it took over ten minutes just to go from one e-mail page to another after clicking delete.

Edit: After looking at the processes page again, there is a column called CPU.....most of the listed items are at 00.
System idle process is jumping from numbers in the fifties to 99 rapidly and consistantly.
WUSB54GC.exe jumps from single digit numbers to high sixties.
All other systems show little or no change.

So now the BIG question.....what does that mean ???
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 05:41:53 PM by nighttree »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »
hi nighttree

I think you will find that the problem is yr linksys connection manager
- you are using linksys utility to configure wireless rather than Windows which performs config better

quick test - go to Services and see if you can change the entry to manual rather than automatic - then Restart
Services - Start->right-click (My)Computer-> select Manage -> click thru Services and Applications to Services window

There are other ways to switch wireless config from linksys utility to Windows - search WUSB54GC.exe on Google
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

DevarajanRamesh

« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
i have got a key but not the licence file can any one help me how to insert the key in the file plzzzzzz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
i have got a key but not the licence file can any one help me how to insert the key in the file plzzzzzz
Which version are you registering? 4.8 or 5? Free or Pro?
The best things in life are free.

jack_90125

« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2010, 12:45:34 AM »
had it installed since the release and all of a sudden the icon disappeared. tho it comes back when I click avast from start menu otherwise it was running fine.free version

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2010, 12:50:40 AM »
had it installed since the release and all of a sudden the icon disappeared. tho it comes back when I click avast from start menu otherwise it was running fine.free version
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
The best things in life are free.

broderp

« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2010, 03:21:11 AM »
Hi,

it's my pleasure to announce the general availability of a new avast program update, version number 5.0.507.

Most notable improvements include:
- scanning and virus chest features now accessible even from Windows Safe Mode
- aswSP.sys: solved a minor stability issue (fixed duplicating of protected handles)
- Pro AV / IS: solved file enumeration problem on FAT32 partitions
- enhanced compatibility with various Winsock LSPs
- various improvements in the avast! sandbox
- improved cleaning of file infecting viruses
- added compatibility with screen readers; avast! should now be reasonably accessible to visually impaired users
- system files imported to the virus chest after upgrade from v4.8 are now removed
- IS firewall: solved a problem related to VPN connections (Windows XP)
- IS firewall: solved a problem related to Xbox360 media sharing
- IS firewall: solved a potential BSOD condition when changing logical drive mappings
- IS firewall: solved a potential crash when saving the packet rules
- IS firewall: fixes for Internet Connection Sharing
- IS firewall: Windows 2000 compatibility
- IS firewall: solved a compatibility problem with Logitech Desktop Manager
- Pro AV / IS: solved a compatibility problem with PerfectDisk 11
- Pro AV / IS: ashCmd.exe switch /@ should work again
- Pro AV / IS: solved a compatibility issue with Acronis True Image
- various fixes in the Outlook antispam add-in
- fixes in ashUpd.exe
- minor improvements in the installer, especially when upgrading from avast v4.8
- avast! Screen saver can be now configured via the screensaver properties dialog
- minor fixes in the GUI
- added Dutch, Portuguese (Portugal), Norwegian, Finnish, Slovenian, Turkish and Vietnamese language packs

Thank you
Vlk

The link at the top is not working for me.  It opens a new window with the same thread... ???

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
The link at the top is the link to this thread.
The program can be obtained from the Avast site, or via program updates in you own Avast program.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

jack_90125

« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »
does nothing,tho the programs are running, just no icon in task bar.

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »
what is yr operating system how much ram?
what other antivirus / antispyware are you running or were previously?

have you made any changes lately?

you can check logs if you want for errors (this is just speculation just in case)
- Start->rightclick (My)Computer->Manage-> Event Viewer - check in System and Applications
- only look for something out of order that may be causing a conflict
or
- Start->rightclick (My)Computer->Manage-> click through Services and Applications until get to Services
- check entries under avast - make sure they are started
   In mine Services (XP)
- avast antivirus is started and automatic
- avast Mailscanner is started and manual
- avast Web scanner is started and manual

Another option is to do a Repair - Windows Add/Remiove programs
- click uninstall/change to bring up avast module - scroll down to Repair and run

Also and perhaps first if recently updated, Restart a couple of times and see if icon comes back
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:49:07 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

tolios

« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
i want to ask something i had avast pro 4.8.1368.i also have firefox 3.6.3 with download status bar add-on ,this add-on have the choice to select the anti virus to scan when we want to download an object, i put there ashQuick.exe works perfect in version 4.8.1368 and i see furthermore the results in the explorer window.i do all the same things at avast 5 IS and ashQuick.exe doen't work at all can you tell me why?or i must return to avast 4.8.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »
It does work, it just doesn't show any results if the download is clean, if it is infected then you will see it alert.

Go to this site, http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm and download one of the eicar.com files (using HTTPS, otherwise the web shield would alert if using HTTP). Now you will actually get two alerts as the file when saved to the hard disk (being a .com file) will be scanned by the File System Shield
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security