Author Topic: Is Avast firewall good enough?  (Read 29112 times)

doktornotor

Re: Is Avast firewall good enough?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 03:17:53 AM »
Ipsec can secure VPNs, so that's very few users indeed.

Well, I tried to get IPSec-based VPN working across firewall and ended up w/ OpenVPN because IPSec was something like mission impossible. (Linux iptables FW on one side and BSD ipfw on the other).  ::)

Otherwise, thanks for investigating this stuff.

sded

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 03:44:58 AM »
BTW, perhaps some would be interested in Ed's Own Version of Firewall (HIPS) Leak Testing?
First you embed the 150 or so Matousec cases into perhaps 15000 cases that are not malware, but trigger at least one of the HIPS checkpoints.  Then you wire Matousec's testicles to the computer and start the test.  He now knows that the a priori probability that any sequence of popups is malware is only .01.  But wait, when I studied decision theory in school you needed to worry about the relative cost of misses and false alarms.  So let's be generous, and say that a false alarm zaps him with 100v, and a miss costs 600v to start.  Then run him through the test for a score.  Then re-randomize the order of the cases and try again with another HIPS.  When finished, on to subject #2.  I think this gives the tester some vested interest, like a real user would have, might allow adjustment of the voltage to give the best overall score depending on your decision metric, and could eventually lead to a confidence factor to help the user decide.  And provides a more valid comparison and guidelines than the current procedure-scientific method, afterall.  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:56:21 AM by sded »

psikofunkster

About using both firewalls windows 7 and Avast.
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »

I've been read different opinions about this topic in this forum but what is the official statement from Avast?

When Avast internet security is installed it doesn't deactivate the windows 7 firewall, so? should i leave it that way or should i deactivated manually?

Xtreeme2

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »
Are matousec in their tests use avast firewall(only firewall, without any other protection modules), or Avast Internet Secutiy???? ??? ??? ??? ???
Vendors of Avg and Bit Defender says that their antivirus with firewall are better solution, and their firewalls are not designed to be used in a stand-alone environment? Am i right????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
They used the AIS but then disabled the other elements, which really invalidates the test as there is no stand alone firewall. Si t the avast firewall works in conjunction with the other elements in AIS. There is a topic somewhere about this if you wish to do a forum search.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

psikofunkster

Re: About using both firewalls windows 7 and Avast.
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 04:59:08 AM »

I've been read different opinions about this topic in this forum but what is the official statement from Avast?

When Avast internet security is installed it doesn't deactivate the windows 7 firewall, so? should i leave it that way or should i deactivated manually?

Welll i got an official response from avast:

Thank you for contacting our support center with your concerns.

avast! and Windows firewalls can rut together without any problem.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 07:40:05 AM »
avast firewall got a great rating on pcmag :)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358469,00.asp (scroll down to firewall review)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358471,00.asp (scroll down to see sub-ratings)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: About using both firewalls windows 7 and Avast.
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »

Welll i got an official response from avast:

Thank you for contacting our support center with your concerns.

avast! and Windows firewalls can rut together without any problem.

Hi, I would also like to confirm that running avast! firewall together with Windows Firewall has no compatibility issues we know about. Just the obvious fact, that what one of the firewall allows may be blocked by the other one.

Lukas.

Hermite15

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358469,00.asp (scroll down to firewall review)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358471,00.asp (scroll down to see sub-ratings)

wow, first review ever (that I know of). Interesting link thanks ;)

edit: review's not so good for the AV part...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:35:05 AM by Logos »

GloobyGoob

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »

wow, first review ever (that I know of). Interesting link thanks ;)

edit: review's not so good for the AV part...

Yeah, the firewall and anti spam got a higher rating than the actual anti-virus but nevertheless, AIS got featured in the The Best Security Suites for 2010 list.