Author Topic: Japanese users, please help us spread to word about avast  (Read 25557 times)

Sesame

Re: Japanese users, please help us spread to word about avast
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »
Actually the Japanesse tend  to think that a free/ not so expensive product is one that is not of good quality. So as far as the free version of Avast is concerned I don't think that there are things that can be done, however I think that there  are things that can be done in order to boost the paid product's sales such as an ad campaign on yahoo...
Reading what Vlk wrote so far, I've gotten an impression that he seems to try to show the quality of their products rather than going for superficial marketing...  Quite many users seem to be attracted by the catchy GUI design, though, which is not necessarily a bad thing as long as they are eventually convinced of the quality of the product, IMHO.

There are two proverbs in Japan.
"There is no such thing as a free lunch" or "Free is the most expensive". (ただより高いものは無い)
"A cheap purchase is money lost" (安物買いの銭失い)
It's a way of thinking in Japan... especially important / essential things (including security software).

However, there is also wishful tendency.
Now the share of K7 Anti-virus (appearing in Kuchikomi Ranking as "Virus Security Zero", which pushes "Paid once, no additional yearly charge") is growing significantly.

Considering this, it seems there is much room for growing free (or low price) product... problems are prejudice against free product (is less powerful than paid one) and its publicity (IMHO, quite a few Japanese internet users don't know even there is free anti-virus product).
Thanks for the insight.  Logically, whether a product is offered free or not just means a different business model, which is not necessarily tied to the qualities of them.  However, it seems to be tough for some people to change their ways of thinking.

udidwht

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 07:13:09 AM »
Don't forget about http://www.goo.ne.jp/

Quickly overcoming both Yahoo and Google in Japan.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
We will spread the news.

Better hide your emailaddress, to prevent spammers to use it..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ManyQs

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »

Is there any possibility of getting information on the numbers at present of usage in Japan of the free Alwil product?

I am not so sure that the mindset outlined of a distrust of a free product is as relevant these days as in days past, especially as younger people become more accustomed to using the Net. A whole lot of young folks here prefer free and know very well that a lot of products on the Net need not be paid for just to be reliable.

As for getting the Alwil product into more folks' heads I think the only sure way is a trade journal article on the exact subject of this thread -- free doesn't mean low quality, especially when it comes to the Alwil product. You get a good article in a reputable trade journal and start pushing for it to be put online and then you pass that link around to all those sites somebody was so kind as to post.

By the way, that list of sites needs lengthening. Possibly I can get around to it later this week, but I stumbled upon this thread at a bad time to be able to contribute much at the moment.

One more thing, about those numbers, why did Vlk only ask about Japan? I mean, why wasn't Korea included as a target? I'm just wondering if the number of users in Korea is much higher than in Japan?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:54:14 PM by ManyQs »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »
Is there any possibility of getting information on the numbers at present of usage in Japan of the free Alwil product?
Why would this commercial/private information be disclosed?
The best things in life are free.

ManyQs

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 04:04:34 PM »

Why would this commercial/private information be disclosed?

First reason is so that those who may take an interest in such a project could get some idea of what they are up against and can possibly set some targets.

Second reason is for the purpose of six months to a year down the road of being able to determine if whatever course of action was taken was successful, or needs changing.

I am not sure where the privacy issue comes into play, but the commercial aspect of it could be useful in that article I brought up as a possible idea. Seems to me the number of users in a given country would be something to be proud of and not something to be hidden. And if the numbers are down for a given country, then highlighting that and getting the message out that you have a fine product would be to the advantage of the Alwil Team.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »
Just spread the word (if you can/like) and all will be happy... ;)
Btw, the name Alwil is history, it's just Avast now...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
ManyQs, I understand and share your point of views.
Let's see what the marketing/sales departments of avast will say about and, after all, disclose.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
Today I read an article about the share of Japanese search-engine.

Yahoo! Japan : 53%
Google : 37%
Others : <10%

Even now Yahoo! wins against google in Japan. I see many people set Yahoo!Japan as their start-page.

BTW, when I type "avast" and search it in Yahoo!Japan, I see many ads claiming like "Is free security software reliable?" or "Pitfall of free security software".
That page (top of the ads) says avast doesn't have web protection and "Not recommended" (with many ads of paid software)  :-\

I can't see such ads in Yahoo! (not Japan) search... is there such ads in other language's search engine?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:35:15 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
I can't see such ads in Yahoo! (not Japan) search... is there such ads in other language's search engine?

No such ads in Yahoo Germany or Yahoo Austria...
asyn

ManyQs

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »

... quote is truncated ...

BTW, when I type "avast" and search it in Yahoo!Japan, I see many ads claiming like "Is free security software reliable?" or "Pitfall of free security software".
That page (top of the ads) says avast doesn't have web protection and "Not recommended" (with many ads of paid software)  :-\

As I'm sure you know, NON, misinformation and plain distortion of fact is not beyond the realm of techniques used by Japanese companies to sell a product.

The question is what can the Avast staff do about false claims that are so wrong the company that placed them wouldn't stand a chance in court? I can assure you that if I were with the Avast staff I wouldn't allow such bovine excrement aimed at my company to stand. Where there's a will, there's a way. And disrespecting my company in such a manner would create some serious willpower.

clayieee

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »
well an advertisement will do.

SeaDubb

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »
I don't pretend to know much about business models and marketing strategy, but I always thought that when a company offered both a free product and another product for purchase, that the idea was that the first one was to serve as a "loss leader" for the second one.  Is that not the case here?

Looks to me like the prevailing Japanese culture has already done the heavy lifting for you.  Why waste even the tiniest amount of your precious time and energy worrying about being insulted by other peoples' foolish lies?  Forget about the free product and go make a bunch of money.  How hard could that be?  What am I missing here?

Just my $0.02

SeaDubb

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
It's not that simple. Millions of people have Avast! free and I'm sure that at least some of them downloaded it because they couldn't afford a antivirus software and Avast! is a good antivirus that's free.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:01:16 PM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »
What am I missing here?
Everything.
The Freemium policy of avast (free product + premium one) has proved to be very effective on market share.
Today avast is one of the most used antivirus in the world. 130+ million users. A lot of them passed to the pro version.