Author Topic: Can't install Avast! Internet Security  (Read 10536 times)

ASaucci

Can't install Avast! Internet Security
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:38:04 AM »
          I can't install Avast Internet Security on a Windows XP Home SP3 computer. After I complete the setup wizard, it hangs at a Windows Installer box that I have to kill with Task Manager. I already tried all the boilerplate advice, I tried upgrading Windows Installer, I tried tracing it with Process Monitor, and I do not have any more time to guess. I can't go back to Avast Professional 4.8 because my license expired and it was too expensive to renew compared to AIS. How can I determine exactly why this product will not install? I am baffled that any professionally produced software could fail in this way, with absolutely no clue as to why it is failing.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Can't install Avast! Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:30:05 AM »
Hi Assauci,

This happened at my machine too, but may you retry again to re-download from avast! website.
This probably caused by corrupted installer file.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

ykuksenko

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
This has happened to me as well. Check add/remove programs to make sure all entries of avast are removed, run avast uninstaller afterward (also make sure other antivirus software isn't installed - granted you are just moving from one avast to another.) Then reboot your machine and install avast from a fresh downloaded file. This should fix everything. (In my case I had found a partially disabled kaspersky - it was installed but none of it was running)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »
Also you should use the latest build: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59223.0
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ASaucci

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:58:03 AM »
         I downloaded the file only last week. I used the exact same file to install the program on six other workstations. I can't believe that it's corrupted. I ran the uninstall utility, which would not remove all of the 4.8 installation, so I had to boot with a CD and delete what was left manually. Does anyone have any scientific way to determine exactly why the program will not install on this particular workstation without me siting there guessing?

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:02:58 AM »
Hi,

My problem has been solved, you may see at : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59548.0

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

ASaucci

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:14:00 AM »
Hi,

My problem has been solved, you may see at : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59548.0

cheers,

I don't see anything in that thread that I haven't already tried. After the trouble I had to go through to get 4.8 off that workstation, it won't be going back on, even as a troubleshooting technique. So right now I have a client sitting with no antivirus and no way to install it. How long can I leave someone like that? Is there no way to correct this?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »
Does anyone have any scientific way to determine exactly why the program will not install on this particular workstation without me siting there guessing?

Could be... ;)
But you have to post more info about the system...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ASaucci

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 06:34:15 AM »
Does anyone have any scientific way to determine exactly why the program will not install on this particular workstation without me siting there guessing?

Could be... ;)
But you have to post more info about the system...
asyn

Specifics, please.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
          Specifics, please.

Other security/firewall software installed. (also prior installed)
asyn

ASaucci

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 03:20:34 AM »
          Specifics, please.

Other security/firewall software installed. (also prior installed)
asyn

The only other software that falls in that category on that computer would be AOL. I know it often installs its own junk-- not sure exactly what in this case.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »
I'll try an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

ASaucci

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
I've already done all this to no avail. Can't we get to the bottom of this without guessing? I have a workstation with no antivirus at all on it. I have to get this solved or else I'll have to try another product. The only other solution is a complete reformat, which is unacceptable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
ASaucci, I'm not guessing.
The title of the thread is "Can't install Avast! Internet Security".
Installing from the scratch is the most common solution for that.
Need a refund? Maybe contacting the reseller or send an email to sales (at) avast (dot) com.
The best things in life are free.

ASaucci

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 04:07:39 AM »
          I finally managed to get it installed after I discovered that Outlook 2007 had been installed on the workstation but never run. (The user has a webmail account and uses that for e-mail.) After I ran Outlook and allowed the user portion of the installation to complete, the Avast installation also completed. It still would have been nice if I didn't have to figure this out for myself; the Avast setup program should create a log file of some sort that will identify the cause of an installation failure so that it can be corrected without hours and hours of guessing. I must have spent at least twelve hours altogether over several weeks trying to resolve this problem. Fortunately, I'm a cheap consultant, but someone paying $100-$150/hr. for a consultant would not be happy about the bill that a problem of this sort would generate-- or the consultant would be very unhappy about having to bill the job well below his usual rate and be less likely to recommend Avast to other clients.